• snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Somewhere around $780.00

If indeed it is as reliable as the promo videos say, they may get me at that price point. I like the choice they made of mag compatability with the Evo1. Interesting they went with a weighted bolt carrier instead of a buffer/spacer like the Pak9 or Draco Nak9.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Sorry I missed this thread. I was able to get one of what appears to be a small number of these released back on Dec 7. Mine is the MOE version. I picked it up on Friday and was able to shoot it Monday. Mine was flawless through about 225 rounds. I shot it mostly suppressed with an Obsidian 9 in short config and an Octane 45. It's somewhat gassy as would be expected for a blowback, but my 9mm AR is worse. I don't own a Scorpion so I can't compare to that. It's a fun little gun. Definitely a keeper. Time will tell if it's a serious gun or a range toy. That's an aluminum magwell and it has last round bolt hold open. FYI - this model was $729 (free shipping). The classic version was supposed to be $699 and the railed version $799. It didn't appear that either of the other two were released that day or since.

With the Obsidian 9
    GSVjiLk.jpg

It has a nice big paddle release and mags insert and come out quite easily, but are very solid when inserted. That button on the side of the magwell is the bolt hold open. You can slide it up to manually lock the bolt back or slide down when locked to release.
    g6OXsZV.jpg

Last edited:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yikes. Someone had one blow up on them. Certainly no problem like that for me, but I'm going to do some closer inspection. MAC also posted on Instagram that his was experiencing hammer follow.

[video=youtube;CKIZeSwLj3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIZeSwLj3Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Well... I got mine to the range today and things didn't go well. It seems you either get a working one or you don't based on the issues I'm seeing posted online. As fate would hate it, I of course got a non-working one.

My first issue was discovered while checking the gun in. The hammer would follow the bolt home when you held the trigger back and cycled the action. I posted about this on my Instagram account and PSA saw it and immediately sent a replacement disconnector. It was a known issue.

Then today came along and I had a whole host of issues. I had failures to eject, failures to ignite, a round jumped behind the bolt while clearing a failure to ignite and my gun fails to go fully into battery about every mag or so. It's a total hot mess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8NFIxBdqx/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8Ln47h64T/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8Keb-BSUb/

Not happy, but then I can't say I'm totally surprised.

Here's where we find ourselves with the U.S. AK market. The three companies making a U.S. produced AK's of any caliber all turn out marginal to downright bad quality products. That would be Century Arms, I.O. Inc. and PSA. All of them seem to think they have to hit the $600 price point to be successful when I would argue that I would rather have a $1200 AK that works than a $600 one that kind of works and will fail for sure inside of 5,000 rounds fired.

We don't have child labor or $1/hr skilled labor like Combloc countries do, so producing a $600 AK domestically means you have to cut a lot of corners. A properly made U.S. AK will cost over $1k if done right without corner cutting to save on cost.

If PSA had spent the time and money to make a properly engineered and manufactured Vityaz clone it would have sold even at $1500 a copy. Sure, even with all the reports of problems and poor engineering of the current AKV-9 they will still sell like hotcakes. It's what I call the Century Syndrome. If you price it low enough, a bag of dog poop will sell.

I hope that Kalashnikov USA makes good on their promise of the KR-9. It's been years and lots of empty promises... but I hope they pull it off. I will be standing in line for my KR-9 even if it costs $1500 -- as long as it's made like the real Izhmash Vityaz in terms of quality.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    thread jack... What is the issue with Kalashnikov USA and their KR-9? I mean the gun is a Vityaz clone, its already been engineered.. what is the holdup?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I regret not getting one of the Definitive Arms (?) 9mm AK rifles when Atlantic had them. They seemed to be reliableand used Coltpattern mags IIRC. I'll have to be satisfied with my Pak-9 until something better comes along.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I regret not getting one of the Definitive Arms (?) 9mm AK rifles when Atlantic had them. They seemed to be reliableand used Coltpattern mags IIRC. I'll have to be satisfied with my Pak-9 until something better comes along.

I have one (AKX-9) and it's a great gun. It was not inexpensive - around $1,400 if I recall correctly. I bought mine as a pistol and SBR'd it. It runs great suppressed. It's built on a full size receiver and uses Colt mags so not a true Vityaz clone. As for the PSA, I guess I just one of the good ones. Time will tell if it stays that way.

[video=youtube;P-WFbWRdpkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WFbWRdpkM[/video]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well Military Arms Channel has posted a thorough range video and it is depressing. Multiple variety of failures. I got to agree with MAC that the gun looks good, I just hope they can work out the issues.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Well... I got mine to the range today and things didn't go well. It seems you either get a working one or you don't based on the issues I'm seeing posted online. As fate would hate it, I of course got a non-working one.....

Let me ask you a somewhat related questions since you are much closer to the industry than 99% of us:

Is PSA currently operating within a business model that has long terms viability of their PSA branded products? We all know of the QC issues across the industry but PSA seems to have taken the philosophy of quality control by consumer to an extreme.

BioCrypto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2018
    Columbia City
    It’s a shame about the issues this is having from the start. But it looks like psa knows about the issues and are at least owning up to it. High hopes they get all the issues figured out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Never Beta test a PSA product for them. Re machining their 308, a AR-9 that had to be bought back and a couple lower assembled wrong or shipped broken ruined them for me.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well, PSA has these back in stock, the updated versions. Earlier the MOE gray models were available, now sold out. The MOE black models are in stock now. the PSA 35 rnd mags are on sale too for $15/ea. I have faith they have fixed the issues and ordered one. Fingers crossed.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Picked it up today, transferred through J&S Guns. Out of the box it looks perfect. Great finish and fit. Clearly the Gen II model with the flared dust cover, enhanced DC mount screw and Mac bracket. Shipped with one 35 round PSA magazine. They have had them on sale for $14.95 and I ordered a bunch more a while back. I will throw a PA micro dot on it and hopefully get to the range this weekend.

It has some heft to it and feels heavier than a Draco of comparable size. I can not find the official weight online though. I have a feeling felt recoil will be nonexistent.

Top Bottom