• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    On this day in 1987 I took the oath and was appointed as an Indiana State Police Officer. I was proud to serve until I retired in 2014.

When I was appointed, I was issued a Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 with Pachmayr grips. The one I was issued was already well-used:

66_side.jpg

The shield on the side plate is partially covered by the Pachmayrs; I assume it was more visible with the factory grips. However, before I came on, someone had made the decision to go to the Pachmayrs, and uniformity was (and still is) the rule.

66_detail.jpg

Twenty-seven years (and serveral issued weapons later), we were issued Sig P227's. I transitioned in early 2014, and only carried this for a few months before retirement:

p227_side.jpg

Of course, because we are the Indiana State Police, this weapon was similarly customized:
    p227_shield.jpg

I am proud of the time I served as a trooper and these two weapons are particularly special to me, my first one and my last.

Attachments

• 66_side.jpg
      66_side.jpg
      217.1 KB · Views: 16
    • p227_shield.jpg
      p227_shield.jpg
      146.3 KB · Views: 15

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am certain those will be highly valued by your children and grandchildren in the years to come.

Thanks for your service to our state and community. Peace officers today seem to be getting the same treatment as the Vietnam veterans when they came home from battle. It is a disgrace on this great nation that we have allowed our culture to be perverted from a positive and appropriate patriotism to the hatred of our nation that is dominant today.

Again, thanks for your honorable service to our state and community.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Fine weapons ! ....I'm glad that you have them in your possession. :yesway:
    Thanks for your service to our State !

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I bought back many of my issued weapons; however, I let a couple of them go. I did not buy back the Beretta 96 or its companion, the .380 Beretta 84. We did not have the opportunity to purchase our Glock .40s; there was some problem with the combination of the weapon and the ammunition where bullets were tumbling and keyholing targets at 15-25 yards. Glock took the weapons back, replaced them with Glock 17's, and reportedly destroyed the suspect guns. I also did not buy back the .45 Glock 21; it was a huge and unwieldy weapon, and the buyback price was way too high.

These are two of my favorite weapons, and they do not often leave the safe. I shoot my Beretta 92 and my Glock 17 fairly regularly. My son uses my Glock 17 when he shoots USPSA.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    [Begin INGO Encryption Protocol WZF64290/34-12A]
    Message to: MarkC /endline

Your message was not received. /break Cleared storage. /break Please try again. /endline

[End INGO Encryption]

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yessir! Those guns should stay in the family. I have the Smith 686-3 IPD issued me long ago. We were allowed to buy them when they made the unfortunate transition to 9mm Berettas. Sadly, IPD did not mark the weapons in any way. I also have a Glock M23 which was not issued but I was allowed to purchase it new through the IPD armory at the City's purchase price just as I retired in '93. Those guns will be staying in the family. I know where there is a Colt SP1 with a 3 digit serial number which I believe was originally an ISP issue. We're talking way back with that one. Thanks for your service!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Yessir! Those guns should stay in the family. I have the Smith 686-3 IPD issued me long ago. We were allowed to buy them when they made the unfortunate transition to 9mm Berettas. Sadly, IPD did not mark the weapons in any way. I also have a Glock M23 which was not issued but I was allowed to purchase it new through the IPD armory at the City's purchase price just as I retired in '93. Those guns will be staying in the family. I know where there is a Colt SP1 with a 3 digit serial number which I believe was originally an ISP issue. We're talking way back with that one. Thanks for your service!

Those are some awesome weapons you're describing, and I'm glad you were able to keep them.

And, thank YOU for your service!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    He seems more like a cardio guy.

;)

Yup, cardio... I HATE doing weights or that other stuff, though I have resigned myself to balanced workouts. I just wished I hadn't stayed away from the gym for so long!

As for the shadow box idea, I'd love to display them, but wouldn't want to risk them being lost to burglars or what not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Shadow box = shadow boxing = exercise ... never mind. :) If I have to explain it, it isn't funny. ;)

Top Bottom