• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I a have never owned a collector gun (IE I wont shoot it much if any). And don't really know what to look for.

IMO the 1911 is the best looking firearm in the world, so I started looking at collector's 1911's. As I'm sure most know they are all over the spectrum. I really like the gold cup series. Ive also looked at sets like this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793873173

I guess my question would be, what advise would you give a first time collector? Is it a good time to buy, or a bad time to buy? Any model's to lean towards, or avoid?

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I myself, not being a collector nor no nothing about it, are commemorative guns “collectibles”? Not trying to be a smart azz, just wanting to know.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I myself, not being a collector nor no nothing about it, are commemorative guns “collectibles”? Not trying to be a smart azz, just wanting to know.

I would think they would be considered collectible. I cant see many people buying the guns in the link about as an EDC. That said, I don't know that, I'm just speculating.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I can't tell you a thing about the set but I can tell you my previous experience with collectable SW wheel guns.

Commemorative items were always a struggle to sell unless you found that ONE guy that loves it and then it's a premium. Finding that one can be tough.

If I would give you any advice, I would say to define your budget and your goal (appreciation? heirloom? museum? shootable?) and then target a specific firearm that has been steady collectable and would be expected to do no worse than keep pace with inflation and/or meets your needs and wants.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm a collector, but everything I buy gets shot. Plenty of good old serviceable 1911s out there a fellow could pick up without breaking the bank. Personally I like to buy stuff that while it might not be really rare has some back story to it. Here's a 1911 that went with the New York cavalry to fight Pancho Villa, then off to France, then returning home to sit for years in a national guard armory. Lots of these made and in as good original shape as this one, but the markings and the story sold me, still get it out and shoot it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    That's nice Leadeye
    My brother is in the process of picking up a 1914 or 1915 (I can't remember) 1911. Leadeye, how did you track down the story about your 1911?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's nice Leadeye
    My brother is in the process of picking up a 1914 or 1915 (I can't remember) 1911. Leadeye, how did you track down the story about your 1911?

There were odd stamp marks on it that I spent some time tracking down, part of the problem was that back then there were a lot of state cavalry units that don't exist anymore. I've enjoyed the historical research, but you have to take some stories with skepticism. Probably couldn't do this work before the internet.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would think they would be considered collectible. I cant see many people buying the guns in the link about as an EDC. That said, I don't know that, I'm just speculating.

Yep, question is, if something is manufactured solely for the purpose of being a collectible, does it often become collectible? Some do, I guess, some don't.

I agree with mcapo, on what your interests, etc are. Is it to put something back and sell it at a later time or to have a commemorate something specific, or to hand down, etc?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'm a collector, but everything I buy gets shot. Plenty of good old serviceable 1911s out there a fellow could pick up without breaking the bank. Personally I like to buy stuff that while it might not be really rare has some back story to it. Here's a 1911 that went with the New York cavalry to fight Pancho Villa, then off to France, then returning home to sit for years in a national guard armory. Lots of these made and in as good original shape as this one, but the markings and the story sold me, still get it out and shoot it.

Once again, you win the cool post of the day!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I a have never owned a collector gun (IE I wont shoot it much if any). And don't really know what to look for.

IMO the 1911 is the best looking firearm in the world, so I started looking at collector's 1911's. As I'm sure most know they are all over the spectrum. I really like the gold cup series. Ive also looked at sets like this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793873173

I guess my question would be, what advise would you give a first time collector? Is it a good time to buy, or a bad time to buy? Any model's to lean towards, or avoid?

Wait....................What. Am I seeing this.....:):

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The 1911's in the gunbroker ad, My brother owned one of the Belleau Wood guns for awhile. If I remember correctly he had it for a few years and it went up in value

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Within the last year I was offered the set like you see on Gun Broker for $900 each and passed.

I know guys that bought them for $1100 each. If you decide to go that way I think you could do much better than that particular offering.

It is all about being in the right place at the right time.

It is the WWI and WWII 1911/1911A1's that turn my crank. To learn what you need to know about them takes time and effort. Even the pro's need a resource. The best and easiest I have found to carry with me to shops and shows (it won't do you any good on a shelf at home) is Jesse C Harrison's "US Pistols and Revolvers".

It will be easy to get a military 1911 but what adds value is how much of it came with the gun originally and how much has been swapped out. Finding one that is "correct" or can even be made correct for a good price is possible, but then again people do also win the lottery.

Civilian runs are generally easier to find with the main variable being condition.

It is easy to get to the point you loose sleep or get ulcers over "the hunt" for that illusive pistol. For starts I would suggest getting something you simply like and can afford. Once you are on the hook, there is plenty of possibilities to fill your spare time.

Good luck and good hunting.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Any model's to lean towards, or avoid?

There are the DGFM FMAP 1911A1's that are still available at reasonable prices and yes they are starting to become "collectible". LNIB examples are not uncommon. The Argentinians went to Colt to not only buy for their military but they wanted to be able to manufacture them in their own country. This was taken before the government and they were given the ok to sell all their machinery and set up a factory in Argentina. They took their own workers with them, set up the shop and had their Argentinian replacements work along side the US workers and made the DGFM's. They were made as exact copies of the of what ran off Colts lines in the late 1920's, blued steel, while Colt had changed to parkerizing their's in May of 1941. The only other change was Colt made their internals out of mild steel but the Argentinians chose to use spring steel. Some are marked for various police departments and others for the military. I have mine from the Buenos Aires Police in very good condition that I picked up last year for less that $400.

The quality is easily recognized and they are a strong, good shooting weapon that I personally highly recommend.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't really have anything to add, but the last several Colt's I've fondled have not been up to snuff. So I wouldn't recommend Colt. As far as collectible goes I haven't got a clue. If I wanted one just to collect it would probably be WW2 or WW1.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You’d be better served buying a Cabot 1911 as a collectabile than any or all of the “theater” guns colt offered. Other than being Colts in a box they don’t draw that much demand on the open market. As someone already mentioned they are $1k each of you gotta have it guns.
    Collectable and heirloom quality guns always appreciate in price. Heirloom quality generally can be shot and still acrue value while collectibles are wall hangers. I’d start by asking if you want to use it or not. At the end of the day I’d say look at the Cabot line or find a genuine US property gun. Otherwise you’re at the mercy of the market and what is deemed collectable at any given moment. These guns can sometimes be like the stock market with no sure bet

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, question is, if something is manufactured solely for the purpose of being a collectible, does it often become collectible? Some do, I guess, some don't.

I agree with mcapo, on what your interests, etc are. Is it to put something back and sell it at a later time or to have a commemorate something specific, or to hand down, etc?

As a general rule, I've always heard that things that are made to be collectible usually aren't. I prefer guns with a history to them (as a C&R collector) myself.

Top Bottom