• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OK, so I'm looking to pick the brains of the INGO experience pool.
    Here's the scenario: set up in a great spot for deer, and then 1 or more squirrels make a ruckus and won't go away. I'd love to just pop 'em with a little .22, but do not want to carry a rifle in addition to deer hunting gear.

So, I'm thinking .22 handgun of some kind...something good enough to off a squirrel, but not so powerful that it makes cleaning said treerat a waste of time. If I'm going to shoot 'em, I want to at least get to eat 'em.

I'd love to see what INGO can come up with that fits these criteria:
    1. As reliable as possible--yes, I know there are limits due to the whole .22 aspect.
    2. As accurate as possible--for a handgun, NOT rifle.
    3. As inexpensive as possible--I don't feel like putting a ton of cash into something I'd only use/need a few times a year.
    4. As easily carried as possible--though weight isn't really a big issue (I'm a big guy), overall size might be, depending on the season and weather. Yes, I realize small size potentially reduces accuracy...

So with all that, what would INGO suggest? What would you carry out into the woods, and why?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Contender with a 14 inch barrel.
    1. Reliable. Never have had an issue with mine. If you get good ammo nothing to worry about.
    2. Accurate. Sighted in and hunt with the same ammo.
    3. Inexpensive. Well not a hundred dollar plinker, but with a second barrel you can utilize the pistol for larger varmints and such for other hunting opportunities.
    4. Easily carried. Get a good shoulder/chest holster and not to big of an issue.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    My suggestion would be a revolver with 4 or 6 inch barrel. You will have the option of using any ammo from CB caps to Hi Velocity rounds. Old school but it will never fail you.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    OK, so I'm looking to pick the brains of the INGO experience pool.
    Here's the scenario: set up in a great spot for deer, and then 1 or more squirrels make a ruckus and won't go away. I'd love to just pop 'em with a little .22, but do not want to carry a rifle in addition to deer hunting gear.

So with all that, what would INGO suggest? What would you carry out into the woods, and why?

Wait a minute...so you're tellin' me you're worried about the 'ruckus' a squirrel is making, but you're going to set off a 170 decibel .22 Pistol to quiet things down? ;)

See where I'm going with this?

Squirrel ruckus is normal in the woods, and provided said squirrel is not repeatedly alarm-barking at you (thereby drawing the critical attention of EVERY animal within earshot), you are just fine. It is, in fact, an ASSET that the woods are not completely silent.

Avoid breaking large twigs and limbs, avoid making repetitive sounds, avoid making low-frequency sounds that carry a long way (eg: belching, coughing, dropping empty canteen) , and avoid making sounds that are human-related only (eg: metal clanking).

Other that that, be happy that all the other forest plants and animals make sound, because if you are quieter than they are, you are imperceptible in the "white noise" of the rest of the woods.

If you MUST do this, then carry a cheap pellet rifle. $110 to the CMP will get you a 1-hole accurate 500 fps Daisy 853 that weighs about 5 lbs, and a single pellet in the hip of a squirrel at 25 yards will almost certainly teach them to avoid you...

...but you'll still be heard by every deer inside 100 yards.

-Nate

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    From my experience the sound of a pellet rifle runs deer off faster than an air horn but I've had them walk up on me to see what was going on while practicing for service rifle competition with an AR.

I used to hunt squirrel with a Ruger MK I+1.3x scope and standard velocity ammo. A good revolver, Buckmark, S&W Victory, Ruger MK, etc will be more than accurate enough but you're going to have to be able to do your part...meaning LOTS of practice if you are not already an excellent pistol marksman.

Short version...I tend to agree that firing a .22LR to "quiet" squirrels while deer hunting may not be the best choice.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    We have a doe at our range that will stand above the 100 yard and call out your hits for you. She won't move until you are about 20 yards away. Then she just turns and walk away. Hope she made it through this season...haven't seen here in a few weeks.

...but to everyone's point....the squirrels are fine.

If you think you need to quell the herd, I wouldn't do it on a deer hunting day.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wait a minute...so you're tellin' me you're worried about the 'ruckus' a squirrel is making, but you're going to set off a 170 decibel .22 Pistol to quiet things down? ;)

See where I'm going with this?

Squirrel ruckus is normal in the woods, and provided said squirrel is not repeatedly alarm-barking at you (thereby drawing the critical attention of EVERY animal within earshot), you are just fine. It is, in fact, an ASSET that the woods are not completely silent.

Avoid breaking large twigs and limbs, avoid making repetitive sounds, avoid making low-frequency sounds that carry a long way (eg: belching, coughing, dropping empty canteen) , and avoid making sounds that are human-related only (eg: metal clanking).

Other that that, be happy that all the other forest plants and animals make sound, because if you are quieter than they are, you are imperceptible in the "white noise" of the rest of the woods.

If you MUST do this, then carry a cheap pellet rifle. $110 to the CMP will get you a 1-hole accurate 500 fps Daisy 853 that weighs about 5 lbs, and a single pellet in the hip of a squirrel at 25 yards will almost certainly teach them to avoid you...

...but you'll still be heard by every deer inside 100 yards.

-Nate

From my experience the sound of a pellet rifle runs deer off faster than an air horn but I've had them walk up on me to see what was going on while practicing for service rifle competition with an AR.

I used to hunt squirrel with a Ruger MK I+1.3x scope and standard velocity ammo. A good revolver, Buckmark, S&W Victory, Ruger MK, etc will be more than accurate enough but you're going to have to be able to do your part...meaning LOTS of practice if you are not already an excellent pistol marksman.

Short version...I tend to agree that firing a .22LR to "quiet" squirrels while deer hunting may not be the best choice.

Was thinking similar, both on the type of gun, but also on the 22 making the deer go running... so, now you need a suppressor too, so get something with a threaded barrel. Ruger, Mark IV for easy disassembly. Maybe a 22/45 lite? And a red dot, to make it easier to be one shot and done. Are we done spending your $$ yet?

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I have a model 17 I have not shot yet but I'm sure would be a great squirrel gun. Might be a little pricey though but would be nice to pass down to the kids.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    We have a doe at our range that will stand above the 100 yard and call out your hits for you. She won't move until you are about 20 yards away. Then she just turns and walk away. Hope she made it through this season...haven't seen here in a few weeks.

...but to everyone's point....the squirrels are fine.

If you think you need to quell the herd, I wouldn't do it on a deer hunting day.

Maybe she has seen you shoot enough to know she is safe as long as she stays 20 yards away?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You need a rat pistol. I bought it for rats, but it works for tree rats too.

7F3D9923-66B8-4342-8E8E-66C1986EACD0_zpsdr7p4l8c.jpg

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the ideas so far!

And I was thinking about those rare occasions when a treerat singles me out and just...keeps...barking...at me. Doesn't happen very often, but twice this year was twice too many. It ticked me off that I didn't have anything appropriate for getting him out of my hair and into a bag for later. The second time would have been an easy shot with my 9mm--but I don't know how much would have been left afterwards.

I'm just not patient enough to go for the whole rigamarole dealing with getting a suppressor--and maybe a bit too paranoid about being on yet another .gov list as well.

I'm also too lazy to carry a .22 rifle (which I already have) along with either a bow or rifle for deer. I'm not getting any younger, and it seems like every year my pack gets heavier on its own anyhow. On the other hand, a revolver or maybe something like a Mark II-IV might well be worth carrying.
    I even thought about a CO2 pistol--briefly. Not much quieter than the .22, about the same size/weight, and if I'm gonna shoot the danged treerat, I'd rather clean and eat it than just injure/drive it away.

If anyone has yet more ideas for accurate/reliable/small, please keep 'em coming. I've got until next deer season to research, find something, and practice practice practice.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Good deal.

In that case, if you are a revolver guy, I'd get a Ruger Bearcat or a Colt Diamondback...two ends of the scale.

If you're an automatic guy, I'd look at a Ruger 22/45, M&P 22, Xesse Trailside, or S&W 41 5.5"....in order of increasing price.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If she just saw you and Aero then maybe, but Mrs. Aero is a sniper.

Can confirm on the deer and the Mrs. :D

OP - Neos/Victory/Ruger MK series for semi auto in order of increasing price up to mid 400s. There are pricier options above that, but they may be harder to justify given their stated use and cost. I’d be on the watch for a used Ruger Mk Target.

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    My most accurate and fun gun to shoot is my GSG 1911-22 (also sold as a Sig Sauer). My Ruger MK III was my favorite until I got the 1911-22.

Top Bottom