Where to send a S&W revolver for refinish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Okay guys.... I have a couple blued S&W revolvers that are in need of a finish refresher. Both model 19s. Should they go back to Smith&Wesson or somewhere else? What about IonBond or a different DLC finish? These are not minty collectors pieces, but shooters. I will be keeping them ( and shooting them) until I pass them on to my grandson.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If cost does not matter and they are "user guns" have a gun smith put a nice satin finish on tbe pistols and then send them off for Ion-Bond. Ray Saltzman showed me an example of a satin Ion-Bond he did and it was absolutely gorgeous and tough as nails (literally take a screwdriver to the slide and the slide won that fight). Downside was between labor and sending it off for Ion-Bond the cost was ~$1,200 if memory serves.

I cannot comment on Smith and Wesson refinishing because truth be told I didn't even know they offered it, though I am a really big fan of their Meolinte finish.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I am a fan of S&W but their new process of bluing is not as good as the old .Does not hold up well ,If they are shooters why not do it your self .Use Brownells slow rust blue. If you want a classic re blue send it to Fords ,But be prepared to spend @ $400.This one was done at home
    kVrVbSc.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a fan of S&W but their new process of bluing is not as good as the old .Does not hold up well ,If they are shooters why not do it your self .Use Brownells slow rust blue. If you want a classic re blue send it to Fords ,But be prepared to spend @ $400.This one was done at home
    kVrVbSc.jpg

K 22 Outdoorsman? I've got one of those about 1935 date I think....Wife bought it for me...

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    yes it is a 1905 38 special target model
    Smith does it cheep others do it good, take your pick
    actually slow rust blue will stand up better than hot tank blue. But is more time consuming that is the reason most shops dont use slow rust blue

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Somewhat related; I have a top break 4th model in .32 S&W. The grips are darn near perfect and the action and timing are superb. That is why I bought it. No cylinder wiggle and tight lockup make it a great shooter. However, the finish is completely gone with just dull bare metal remaining for the most part. No rust or major patina.

Would I go to a special place in Hell if I slow rust blued it at home?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't see the hurt in that Snorko although there's probably a purist out there that will curse you for it. I'm curious if the slow blue does a better job of camouflaging really small pits and discolored spots.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Their were 238,600 made in that model series 4,Barrels longer than 3 1/2 are at a premium .it depends on how you value it .Is it blue ?I used a chemical used in body ships to remove existing rust & old bluing (called Metal prep)or Birch Wood Casey makes a bluing stripper . made up a container to boil distilled water in ,a pro-pain camp stove for heat.read and follow instructions from Brownells .Have a go at it .the only way you will go to hell is if your wife catches you doing this on her kitchen stove.Contact me if i can be any help with questions
    The bluing will not hide pits ,none will .The instructions states that a sanding with #320 sand paper is the average polishing media .you will not get a bright high shiny blue ,a finish like that on the original model 28

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's what I was curious about, 320 paper will clear up most of the gun I'm consideration's problems. I was thinking about sending it to Fogels, but not sure they will want to take it apart.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    A friend of mine (who had no experience) slow rust blued a really scruffy STI Trojan for me a few years ago. It is prettier than a lot of girls I have dated in years gone bye. I shoot it a lot and it still looks new. If you do it just take your time.
    Incidentally, I have owned S&W model 27 and 28's years ago. At that time, the only differences between them were finish and price. The 27 was shiny, the 28 was dull and was called the "Highway Patrolman". This was at least 35 years ago.

Top Bottom