• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Saw this on another forum and thought someone here might find it interesting.

[video=youtube;xQjqLdTmaro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjqLdTmaro[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I appreciate his business acumen. Wanting to remain a niche and not getting caught up in the corporate BS about continually getting bigger and adding items to enter other markets. You can be successful and not have something for everyone.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Kind of sad that he doesn't want to improve his processes. But that is a perfect example of American manufacturing...we have always done it this way and always will. This is a prime example of why manufacturing in America is dead!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I love the fact that they are still building them by hand. That’s not a bad thing, but is an example of how more people should think.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I appreciate his business acumen. Wanting to remain a niche and not getting caught up in the corporate BS about continually getting bigger and adding items to enter other markets. You can be successful and not have something for everyone.

My brother in law just a Baer for this exact reason. The overriding philosophy of the manufacturing process appeals to him. Doesn't mean it has to for you but as gregkl said give the guy credit for identifying a niche and fulfilling its demands.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Great video. Would like to see one cover their AR platforms (223's and 308's) and see if it's the exact same mentality regarding man vs. machine. His 308's are heavy but their groupings are impressive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kind of sad that he doesn't want to improve his processes. But that is a perfect example of American manufacturing...we have always done it this way and always will. This is a prime example of why manufacturing in America is dead!

I am confused that you do not see why he does it this way. I build mine in this fashion. All by hand unless I involve Allen and he has his own by hand process. You can not improve on this. Not with this gun. They are not building a car.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I out shot a guy with one of his AR's. I was shooting a factory DPMS with my hand loads. Guy was extremely pissed and even asked me for some of my ammo. Can't imagine what he spent on that thing.

No need to spend that kind of money. We live in a great time guns and ammo have come a long way.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I out shot a guy with one of his AR's. I was shooting a factory DPMS with my hand loads. Guy was extremely pissed and even asked me for some of my ammo. Can't imagine what he spent on that thing.

No need to spend that kind of money. We live in a great time guns and ammo have come a long way.

Or maybe with one of those guns and your handloads you'd take your own shooting to a whole new level?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The hand-checkering... my hands cramp up just watching the guy.

I've seen this video before and i'm skeptical of the hand checkering claim. If you've ever hand checkered a frame even with experience it can take hours especially 30 lpi. For example in 2015 Baer sold over 2800 pistols, if that guy worked 365 days per year that is almost 8 guns per day, there's no way he's checkering a frame 30 lpi in an hour. I've looked at and owned some Baers and the checkering is very consistent gun to gun. It's more likely that he's doing clean-up on them after machining which is why the footage mostly showed him following the lines with a single line checkering file.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Here is a post from another forum from the guy.

I appreciate the kind words guys. We tend to stay off forums because there are usually more experts that know more about our jobs than us lol. Not to be a jerk but until you can bang out 8 hand checkered frames in 6 hours i dont need criticisms lol. Glad yall like our products!
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/hand-checkering-every-pistol-out-of-baer-custom.48747/page-2

I have also seen posts from former employees that confirm they actually do hand checker them.

Top Bottom