• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My new year resolution to really trim instead of just talking about it.
    Sold 1 of my Mark 4 pistols yesterday, but kept the one I got from Aeroflyer.
    I love the SW 22A-1 pistols and they are inexpensive.
    Range trip today was to pick 1 to sell.
    I chose the 7" barreled rubber grip: I loved the longer barrel, but it is much like others that I have.
    The choice between the Wood and Cameo grips will be a flip of the coin.
    One day one wins and another day the other wins: I obviously am the weak point.

20', 30' and 40' with the Wood handle.
    eHj13Mr.jpg

20', 30' and 40' with the Cameo handle.
    9Lo5D5o.jpg

20', 30' and 40' with the Cameo handle.
    XF6FnIj.jpg

All 3 at 40'.
    Qy8X525.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What ammo are you feeding these? Try anything match quality yet?

1. Just using Armscor, HV, HP, 36 grain & some 40 grain, solid copper coated, HV
    2. Maybe I'd buy some good stuff if I has a gun worthy.
    3. Smith 41 is supposed to be worthy, but I might not be a good enough shot to evoke such a response.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't done much 22LR ammo testing in pistols. I have a 22/45 LITE and a 22LR conversion barrel for a Taurus PT92. I have never tried to find their favorite food.

I've done quite a bit of ammo testing in 22LR rifles and there's a noticeable accuracy difference in most guns. The higher quality barrels seem to be less sensitive to various loads. The one commonality though is the more expensive the gun + the more expensive the ammo = the smallest groups. :): I was just wondering how apparent it was with pistols.

I'd like to see a measurement reference in your pics. Maybe put a 1" mark on some so we get a better idea.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven't done much 22LR ammo testing in pistols. I have a 22/45 LITE and a 22LR conversion barrel for a Taurus PT92. I have never tried to find their favorite food.
    I've done quite a bit of ammo testing in 22LR rifles and there's a noticeable accuracy difference in most guns. The higher quality barrels seem to be less sensitive to various loads. The one commonality though is the more expensive the gun + the more expensive the ammo = the smallest groups. :): I was just wondering how apparent it was with pistols.
    I'd like to see a measurement reference in your pics. Maybe put a 1" mark on some so we get a better idea.

1. Someone else mentioned that the other day, and that's a good idea.
    2. I was told the "accuracy" is not relevant, but "groups" are b/c if I understood them correctly, if the "groups" are good, you can "dial-in" the accuracy, but not vice-versa.
    3. perhaps if I put the inches of each circle as a "map key" or "legend."
    4. The other day, I think on a Smith 41 target (with 5 targets on it) I did list the grouping in inches and showed where it was it par with the two Smith 22A-1 that I was testing/comparing. (sold 1 of the 2 the next day and previous sold another making it 2 of the 3 S/W 22A1 that I had: sold.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    2. I was told the "accuracy" is not relevant, but "groups" are b/c if I understood them correctly, if the "groups" are good, you can "dial-in" the accuracy, but not vice-versa.

I've heard it described using two words: Precision and Accuracy.

Precision is the ability to repeatedly place rounds in a tight group. It doesn't matter where on the target that tight group is.

Accuracy is the ability to repeatedly place rounds where you want them to be. Normally, that's the bulls-eye.

If your firearm is precise, you can adjust your aim or adjust your scope to move the small group onto the bulls-eye.

If your firearm isn't precise, you'll never be able to repeatedly hit the bulls-eye because you never know where the round is going to hit.

A great firearm has both, precision and accuracy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Precision is the ability to repeatedly place rounds in a tight group. It doesn't matter where on the target that tight group is.
    Accuracy is the ability to repeatedly place rounds where you want them to be. Normally, that's the bulls-eye.
    If your firearm is precise, you can adjust your aim or adjust your scope to move the small group onto the bulls-eye.
    If your firearm isn't precise, you'll never be able to repeatedly hit the bulls-eye because you never know where the round is going to hit.

1. So that's why people put Volquartsen barrels and triggers and springs and extractors and what all on their Mark 4 and/or Smith Victory. :laugh:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

This is how I have always heard it and understood it as well.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My new year resolution to really trim instead of just talking about it.

I've had the same New Year's resolution now for the last couple of years and have yet to sell or trade any in that time! But I sure have a added a few in that time!

A few were going to get the axe for sure - or so I thought. One was a MKII series 4" 22/45 - could not really shoot that one very well compared to my 1994 MKII Target. As a last resort added a Vortex Venom and a few weeks ago fired my best ever 50 yard target with it. Off the chopping block!

Have a Smith 27 revolver and can no longer see the sights but really like gun and did not pay much for it. Was going to sell it but decided to take it to a Smith recommended here (AllenM) and had him drill and tap for a scope base. Picked it up yesterday and will be trying it out today with an Ultradot.

doddg - I tried the targets l ordered like yours above and fired a decent target with it at the 7 yards line with my Glock 42.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had the same New Year's resolution now for the last couple of years and have yet to sell or trade any in that time! But I sure have a added a few in that time!

1. Yes, I've actually sold one and bought 3 this past year once. :dunno:

A few were going to get the axe for sure - or so I thought. One was a MKII series 4" 22/45 - could not really shoot that one very well compared to my 1994 MKII Target. As a last resort added a Vortex Venom and a few weeks ago fired my best ever 50 yard target with it. Off the chopping block!
    Have a Smith 27 revolver and can no longer see the sights but really like gun and did not pay much for it. Was going to sell it but decided to take it to a Smith recommended here (AllenM) and had him drill and tap for a scope base. Picked it up yesterday and will be trying it out today with an Ultradot.

2. What? You mean you can put optics on a gun to be able to see? :laugh:
    3. I can't even see the 40' target and where I'm hitting: 30' I can handle (maybe I'll try 35' to see what happens).

doddg - I tried the targets l ordered like yours above and fired a decent target with it at the 7 yards line with my Glock 42.

4. The 42 did well with me also (better than the 43): I probably have targets posted somewhere here, since I get a kick out of that.
    5. Those target are my favorite: I wish they had 6 instead of 5 on them, though.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Find some targets with a 1" grid like this from Indy Arms. :)
    c1e50c0491fa40cf80fb8684a0b691e3.jpg

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have to admit I'm spoiled by some .16 cent silhouette targets that I bought and my usual .35ish cents regular targets (5 in 1).

Top Bottom