• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know: since I'm in trim mode (no, really, seriously), I know I've got some explaining to do. :scratch:
    I really don't lie: my intents are good, I truly mean it when I say it, but I'm weak since I want to experience all I can before the money runs out.
    I saw this last week, but since it was a S/A, I passed since I didn't like the two western-style S/A I had: too slow to unload/load.
    But, with more expensive ammo: that would be handy. :dunno:
    I loved my S/W revolvers (had three): they were accurate and with the 9mm cylinder included, I'll enjoy that option as well.

I had a Charter Arms 9mm revolver, but it was a snubby, so no range fun there.
    Negatively speaking, the grips reminds me of the Ruger SP series (too small for my hands), and I need size of the GP series: my GP100 .22LR fits well.
    So, I can't get my little finger on the handle (how does Ruger sell a .357 with no grip for ALL fingers???).
    It's like the Taurus Judge I had, after taking it to the range the first time and shooting 410 and 45 Colt rounds, I immediately went home and ordered full-sized grips.
    For shooting I'll just have to get some hogue grips.

Bought this off a member here who was selling 4(I think) different revolvers, and I wanted either of two of them, but they got spoken for while I was trying to be good and just look but not touch.
    To me this is a unique fun piece, and will look forward to shooting it, but since it is SS with wood handles, I will be happy to look at it for entertainment. :laugh:

Ruger Stainless Steel, Lipsey’s Exclusive, New Model Blackhawk Convertible, 5.5in barrel, 357/38 cylinder & 9mm Luger cylinder
    Model # 05247
    I bought this off the original owner and this revolver has not been fired outside of the factory testing.
    Images below show the complete factory package and all items included.
    Comes w/ 2 cylinders for 357/38 & 9mm Luger.

20181228-084912.jpg

20181228-085031.jpg

20181228-084847.jpg

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have a Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and love it. And while it's accurate with the 357 it won't be quite as accurate with the 9mm but still nice to plink with

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have basically the same gun, except mine is 45 Colt.
    Its the brings a smile to my face gun

Same here, with the 7.5" barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and nice to be able to shoot 45 acp a little more cheaply than 45 colt (but I reload, so 45 colt doesn't break the bank either).

Doddg, nice score! I was lusting after that one in the classifieds too. As for the grip being small, I've got small hands so mine doesn't bother me, however I did shoot a 44 magnum with similar grips and that was only fun for the first couple of shots. :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    .357 magnum. Now we are talking!

1. I have a .357 Ruger Security Six (SS with large wood handles, plus a smaller pair), but not a range toy.

I have a Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and love it. And while it's accurate with the 357 it won't be quite as accurate with the 9mm but still nice to plink with

2. I assumed something would be lost with the using of the same barrel since there is a slight difference in size.

Same here, with the 7.5" barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and nice to be able to shoot 45 acp a little more cheaply than 45 colt (but I reload, so 45 colt doesn't break the bank either).

3. I can't get to the range till Tuesday, but I can't wait with the Ruger Charger and this other Ruger to put through the targets.

Doddg, nice score! I was lusting after that one in the classifieds too. As for the grip being small, I've got small hands so mine doesn't bother me, however I did shoot a 44 magnum with similar grips and that was only fun for the first couple of shots. :):

4. I was surprised it was still available, but it is a niche piece.
    5. I probably will order some hogue grips for it like I have done for other revolvers I've had that have a grip that's too small for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I got my butt kicked shooting this pm (first time taking only 1 gun to the range).
    It shot very low, rear sight was adjusted to the max to bring it up, but I ended up having to bring the front sight half way up the flat plane of the rear sight (I'm sure I don't have correct terminology).
    I even had the range master shoot it and he had the same experience.
    I will show picks: very bad shooting.

I want bigger grips: shooting hurt my hand reminding me of shooting the Taurus Judge, which was fine when I got grips and could get a good purchase with.
    If you know the exact grips send: post it or send me a pm.
    My range didn't have any for it, and my quick look showed a Hogue grip for it to be $20ish.
    Bigger grips for a Ruger Stainless Steel, Lipsey’s Exclusive, New Model Blackhawk Convertible, 5.5in barrel, 357/38 cylinder & 9mm Luger cylinder
    Model # 05247

The range master told me I might need to get a smaller front sight, also.
    I don't understand why it comes from the factory like this???
    I tried the rear sights adjusted all the way down, which cause it too shoot the lowest (clockwise).
    I adjusted the rear sights all the way up (counter clockwise) to bring the sights up and even so far as for the screw to come out (yes, I screwed it back in some), but there wasn't enough adjustment to make it right.
    I still had to bring the long front sight 1/2 up past the rear sights "flat plane." (probably wrong terminology).

The 9mm was harder to shoot than the 38sp+, and I expected the opposite.
    I didn not take any .357 to shoot since I was just wanting to get it sighted in correctly tonight.
    I'm disappointed that the adjustment will not let me.
    I had 3 S/W .38sp revolvers: all shot great! Should have kept the older police service unit: it was awesome!

This pic is with just the 9mm chamber.
    All only 20'.
    #2 was the 1st chamber shot.
    The #2.
    Between #1 & #2 was the range master trying it out (still low).
    #3 I adjusted the sights the wrong way.
    #4 was sights adjusted all the way up.
    #5 was me bringing up the front sight past the flat plane of the rear sights.
    Using Remington UMC 115 grain.

YfoQ5nB.jpg

Top: me compensating by bringing up the front sight: 9mm at 20'.
    Middle: 30' doing the same.
    Bottom: used .38sp+ Magtech with the .357 chamber at 20'.
    158 grain

edlM8ou.jpg

All in all, a poor showing.
    Grips will stop the pain of shooting (couldn't do any more and I had the ammo with me).
    I don't want to put my fluorescent gun sight paint on the long front sight, perhaps using red, green and white all 3 on the front sight b/c if I decide to sell it, someone might object even though it will come off with solvent.

1st step: grips.
    Then maybe different front sights.
    Someone will be able to tell me what to do or where to go to do it.

P1AIWlS1T3uVkRGymwoB

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I used to own a blue 357 Blackhawk convertible with the 4 5/8" barrel. I am not sure the height of the front sight but never had any issues adjusting to the point of aim with 357 ammo. I don't recall firing 38s in it but I did with a 6 1/2" model I once owned. As to my 9mm cylinder I did not use it much but it seemed to shoot fairly well at 15 yards.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I cannot find any larger Hogue-type grips for this revolver so I can get a better purchase/grip on the gun.
    I even went to the Ruger site, Amazon and ebay.

Some descriptions sounded like they would fit, but in the ratings people would warn that it wasn't an easy fix getting them to fit even to the point of calling Ruger getting input and using hair dryers to soften up the rubber, and complaints about the screws working, etc.

When I put in the model model number (listed in another post above) nothing comes up even though there are grips for SOME Blackhawk models.

I'm afraid to take a chance on 1 or 2 that "might" work.
    cost is $20 - $30.

I have no intention of shooting this gun again w/o proper grips: it provided no joy.
    Perhaps I'll have to frequent gun shops like Point Blank to see if they have something.
    Indy Gun Bunker where I shoot for $13/mo. doesn't carry anything for that style of gun.

I had no problem finding grips for my SW J frame, or the Taurus Judge that I had in the past.

Strange.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Here's your answer dod..

"I didn not take any .357 to shoot since I was just wanting to get it sighted in correctly tonight.
    I'm disappointed that the adjustment will not let me."

^^^The TALL front sight is to help shoot Magnum loads to the point of aim.
    The Engineers figure in the heavier recoil into the sighting for the harder kicking loads.
    I am SURE that there is more "Proper" way to explain this, but that is the context of your sight problems.

Take some Winchester White Box 158gr. or similar 158gr. Hot Loads in the full .357 Magnum to the range next time, and you probably will find enough sight adjustment with these loads.

Probably NOT what you are wanting to hear due to the already poor grip fit for you???...

FWIW: these Ruger single actions are to "Roll" up in your hand as proper shooting methods, thus the TALL sights. Let the BlackHawk "Roll" up in your hands.

A Cow Boy type of shooter can probably explain this better to you..??

Your findings may differ, but that is the reason for the tall sights..Bill.

PS: THIS is what you "Give Up" with having ONE barrel shooting THREE different calibers. Some will notice the same problem with most ANY Magnum single-action revolver when shooting Special loads..

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    This may be one of those guns you end up selling off because it just doesn't fit. Nothing wrong with that.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I also gotta add that if you trimming to prepare for retirement, you probably want to minimize the different types of ammo you are going to need to fund your retirement.

You obviously like .22 LR, so that is a no-brainer. What else? 9mm? Now maybe .357 Magnum? .38 spl? Any rifle rounds?

If I were you, I would try to keep it down to 2-3 different types of pistol ammo, which makes is easier and less expensive to stock up on.

Nice-looking new gun! Congrats!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    "I didn not take any .357 to shoot since I was just wanting to get it sighted in correctly tonight.
    I'm disappointed that the adjustment will not let me."

^^^The TALL front sight is to help shoot Magnum loads to the point of aim.
    The Engineers figure in the heavier recoil into the sighting for the harder kicking loads.
    I am SURE that there is more "Proper" way to explain this, but that is the context of your sight problems.
    Take some Winchester White Box 158gr. or similar 158gr. Hot Loads in the full .357 Magnum to the range next time, and you probably will find enough sight adjustment with these loads.
    Probably NOT what you are wanting to hear due to the already poor grip fit for you???...
    FWIW: these Ruger single actions are to "Roll" up in your hand as proper shooting methods, thus the TALL sights. Let the BlackHawk "Roll" up in your hands.
    A Cow Boy type of shooter can probably explain this better to you..??
    Your findings may differ, but that is the reason for the tall sights..Bill.
    PS: THIS is what you "Give Up" with having ONE barrel shooting THREE different calibers. Some will notice the same problem with most ANY Magnum single-action revolver when shooting Special loads..

1. Thanks for the input: lesson learned in my inexperience.
    2. I'll give the .357 a try, but I have no motivation to do so after my lack-luster performance and expectations being dashed. :ugh:

This may be one of those guns you end up selling off because it just doesn't fit. Nothing wrong with that.

3. It doesn't fit, and after a member texting me and letting me know they don't have hogue grips for these S/A revolvers: it will be sold.
    4. I have too many guns I love to shoot, and yesterday my hand was hurting after only 60ish rounds of 9mm and 12 rounds of .38+ specials.
    5. I plan to have a little polishing and turning my Shadow 2 into a S/A with a 10x bushing perhaps (although the bushing is not always helpful for accuracy in my readings).
    Perhaps a trigger: just wanting to have a little fun w/o going whole hog/full monty.
    6. I should have known when it wasn't the grip of my Ruger GP100 .22LR (which I took with me for comparison), but it had the grip size I remember of the Ruger SP100 and a Taurus 94 or the Ruger .22LR single-action, all of which I was totally unsatisfied with and sold, and should not have bought.
    7. If I'd been at a shop I wouldn't have, unless they could have produced a larger grip, but since I was with an individual seller, I didn't want to waste his time since I thought I could get a $25 grip to ease my mind.

I also gotta add that if you trimming to prepare for retirement, you probably want to minimize the different types of ammo you are going to need to fund your retirement.

8. I'd already done that selling everything except .22LR (sold two .22 magnums that I loved) and 9mm.
    9. I do have a .357 home protection Ruger Security Six that I have a little bit of both kind of shells for b/c I picked it up for about $375 (chrome/large wood grips: couldn't help myself).
    :dunno:
    10. Having a revolver that I could have the option of .38sp, .357 and 9mm just seems to be a lovely option when I wanted to shoot something different all rolled up in one gun.
    11. Evidently, my mistake. If it doesn't sell, I will still have that option, but will have over $500 tied up for the privilege: at least I won't waste ammo! :laugh:

You obviously like .22 LR, so that is a no-brainer. What else? 9mm? Now maybe .357 Magnum? .38 spl? Any rifle rounds?
    If I were you, I would try to keep it down to 2-3 different types of pistol ammo, which makes is easier and less expensive to stock up on.
    Nice-looking new gun! Congrats!

12. Totally agree!
    13. Staying away from rifles: I can't afford going through 50 of them to find out what I want. I had a wonderful Henry lever-action early on, but I couldn't see the front sight and especially the target only 40-50' down the range, and I wasn't prepared to put money into a good optic (probably would have cost more than my $325 Henry.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is what I have on mine, also a .357.
    They are a perfect fit for my large hands.

www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/single-action/new-blackhawk/rubber

Please note, these are for a 1/2" wide frame. There is a different model for the 7/16" wide frame.
    Make sure of your frame before ordering.

1. Hope springs w/i!
    2. But, where do you do this measuring (I know you are probably laughing by now!)
    3. Do you take the grips off and measure at a particular place?
    4. I have been looking and nowhere do I find a place identifying a grip for a certain model number.
    5. When I ask about my model #, I get nothing:
    Ruger Stainless Steel, Lipsey’s Exclusive, New Model Blackhawk Convertible, 5.5in barrel, 357/38 cylinder & 9mm Luger cylinder
    Model # 05247
    6. I was all prepared to order but since you warned me there was an 8/16 and a 7/16 different grip, I need to verify what mine is, but I can't get the answer by googling it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    According to this information below, it is confusing, so it looks like I'll have to take the screws out and measure the backstrap width to know which to order.

I have what I would think is the "New Single Six" (1/2" grip frame), not the pre-1963 single-six,

but my gun also fit the "Flat-Top Blackhawk" description.
    So: confusing, which it is? 1/2" or 7/16"

Descriptors:
    1/2" Grip Frame
    When measured across backstrap. Frames include New Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk Short Barrel, Old Army, Vaquero and New Single Six

7/16" Grip Frame
    When measured across backstrap. Frames include Flat- Top Blackhawk, Pre 1963 Single Six, New Vaquero and SASS Vaquero

RUGER BLACKHAWK FLATTOP 357 MAGNUM | 9MM 5247
    MODEL:Blackhawk Flattop
    TYPE:Revolver
    ACTION:Single Action
    FINISH:Stainless Steel
    STOCK/FRAME:Steel Frame
    STOCK/GRIPS:Wood
    CALIBER/GAUGE:357 Magnum | 9mm
    CAPACITY:6
    BARREL:5-1/2"
    SIGHTS:Adjustable
    SAFETY:Transfer Bar

ADDL INFO:Mid-Size Flattop Frame
    ADDL INFO:XR-3 Gripframe

GUN CASE:Plastic

1/2" Grip Frame
    The following Hogue grips will fit Ruger New Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk Short Barrel (4.6" and 5.5"), Old Army, Vaquero and New Single Six models. These models are sometimes referred to as having XR3-RED grip frames. These frames have a width of approximately 1/2" across the backstrap and a small "ramp" that now fit models with or without the internal locking mechanism.

7/16" Grip Frame
    When measured across backstrap. Frames include Flat- Top Blackhawk, Pre 1963 Single Six, New Vaquero and SASS Vaquero

I see the Hogue 83000 Rubber Monogrip for the 1/2" but never did see the number for the Hogue Rubber Monogrip for the 7/16"

Top Bottom