Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indiucky View Post
    It's because I am an American...
    Holy broken links, indiucky.

Whew...that is better now....
    Last edited by mcapo; 1 Week Ago at 13:18.
    I fondled your Wilson today and liked the way it felt in my hand, so natural, like it was meant to be..... T-Dogg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcapo View Post
    Forget about your pinky. You can get plenty of purchase without it.

So before giving up on the differences with a SAA grip I would suggest that you (and maybe you already do) experiment with your grip and your expectations of recoil feel.
    Wisdom...^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

Holy broken links, indiucky.

Whew...that is better now....

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=indiucky;7786716]

/QUOTE]

That is hilarious! Copying and texting to a Glock buddy!

Looks a lot like that Uberti I bought at 1/10th the cost. lol
    I fondled your Wilson today and liked the way it felt in my hand, so natural, like it was meant to be..... T-Dogg

User Info Menu

OK, doddg, this thread has kinda gone in some different directions but let me offer a bit of my limited experiences...
    I started out with SW revolvers found the grip that I like. Transitioned into semi-autos and have been shooting those far more than anything else in recent years. Full size semi autos have an easy grip to manage. Lots of real estate to work with and places to have thumbs, pinkies, etc. When I go back to a revolver, I have to slow down and think about my grip.
    I recently purchase a Uberti SAA clone in 45 colt. Couples things I have to remind myself. 1) Thumb on nail. This grip works best for me. 2) Let the firearm roll up slightly in the palm of my hand and get back on target. It is much different than say a SW revolver with a target stock or a 22a with tree trunk grips. Forget about your pinky. You can get plenty of purchase without it.
    So before giving up on the differences with a SAA grip I would suggest that you (and maybe you already do) experiment with your grip and your expectations of recoil feel. Below are a couple grips to try. I will have the "thumbs crossed" grip with 44 mag J-frames. Don't give up yet.
    Thse are Jerry Miculek's hands so if it good enough for him...
    1. When you speak: I listen!
    2. I will go back to the range and try to get a grip on it and try to forget my pinky is under the grip.
    3. I'm not in a hurry to sell this gun, that's why I would guy a bigger grip like I've done with the S/W 642, Taurus Judge and a few more.
    4. My present Ruger Security Six I would not have bought if it only had the original OEM small grips, but it came with a magnificient large wood grip also.
    5. All this gives me something to look forward to in my boring life.

User Info Menu

I just got off the phone with www.hogueinc.com/grips (800.438.4747) and the lovely lady I talked knew instantly of my pain and affirmed that nothing was available but she has been taking names of those calling for the 7/16" grips.

I don't know yet who to call about the Packmayr 03137 grips that are on Amazon (guess I'll try Packmayr.com).

She also said that even though I think from my research that mine is the XR3 that was eliminated in 1973 but brought back a couple of years ago, it would be stamped XR3, so I'll check that out.

The XR-3 Red for the 1/2" backstrap has a small "ramp" on near the edge of the corner or the grip frame (terminology probably off).

The 7/16" is for the Flat-top Blackhawk, but it also says it is for the Pre 1963 single action as well as the New Vaquero.
    The lady at Hogue warned me that it wasn't that simple and there were many variations out there.

Wow! My inexperience is really coming to a head on this one: I didn't think I could go wrong with a Ruger revolver, and it has been said that it is "perfection."
    I was going to go back to the range this pm for one last try to like it, and at least try out the .357 rounds to see if they shot closer to point of aim.
    I will try everything to get a better grip using the OEM one, but I am not hopeful, but I would like to play with this gun before I sell it.

User Info Menu

https://texasgrips.com/product/ruger...-extended-xr3/

RUGER NEW VAQUERO (EXTENDED) (XR3)
    $80.00 $125.00

These Extended grips are 1/2″ longer and wrap around the bottom of the frame, adding more grip area for shooters with larger hands and for shooting larger calibers. They give a whole new feel to these pistols. These grips will fit Ruger XR3 Frames including New Vaquero, Flat- Top Blackhawk, Pre 1963 Single Six, and SASS Vaquero . These grips will also fit all XR3 grip frames models with or without the internal locking mechanism.

They are available in a variety of natural and laminated woods and hand finished with six coats of lacquer. Shown here are our stock materials, but we also have custom woods if you wish to contact us. See also our regular version of this type of grip.

Pricey and not rubber, though.

User Info Menu

Been spending money on upgrades and bought another gun (too boring to admit what, but not a .22LR this time ).
    If it would have been a simple matter of ordering grips for this Ruger: I would have done so, but it took way too much time to researching it, and I wasn't willing to take a chance on them not fitting from what I read: so I'm done with it. Moving on for something with less hassle. I have enough stress at work: don't need it in my hobby.
    I have other things getting my attention, anyway.
    The guy that wants to buy this for his Dad (he's LEO) has been looking for awhile and been disappointed in what he's found, and knows this is a good price for a gun still sparkling.
    It is a 2.5 - 3 hr. round trip drive though, so I hope someone closer wants it.

Plinker

User Info Menu

If I could still see open sights like I did even just a few years ago I would be the first in line for your Ruger Flat top.
    I would probably have to use a Burris Fastfire /Vortex Venom sight to see well enough to shoot it at longer ranges. I tried a Vortex on a 2 1/2" Smith 357 and ended up removing it not long afterwards. I just had Smith 27 drilled and tapped for a scope mount a few weeks ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 700 LTR 223 View Post
    If I could still see open sights like I did even just a few years ago I would be the first in line for your Ruger Flat top.
    I would probably have to use a Burris Fastfire /Vortex Venom sight to see well enough to shoot it at longer ranges. I tried a Vortex on a 2 1/2" Smith 357 and ended up removing it not long afterwards. I just had Smith 27 drilled and tapped for a scope mount a few weeks ago.
    1. I'm there with you about the sight issues. I can't see where I'm hitting the target at 40'.
    2. It is a beautiful gun: chrome with wood is my idea of:
    3. If the grip would have been that of a GP Ruger not a SP Ruger, I would have kept it and played with it a bit.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6