Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Bought Ruger Blackhawk .357 with 9mm cylinder

I know: since I'm in trim mode (no, really, seriously), I know I've got some explaining to do.
    I really don't lie: my intents are good, I truly mean it when I say it, but I'm weak since I want to experience all I can before the money runs out.
    I saw this last week, but since it was a S/A, I passed since I didn't like the two western-style S/A I had: too slow to unload/load.
    But, with more expensive ammo: that would be handy.
    I loved my S/W revolvers (had three): they were accurate and with the 9mm cylinder included, I'll enjoy that option as well.

I had a Charter Arms 9mm revolver, but it was a snubby, so no range fun there.
    Negatively speaking, the grips reminds me of the Ruger SP series (too small for my hands), and I need size of the GP series: my GP100 .22LR fits well.
    So, I can't get my little finger on the handle (how does Ruger sell a .357 with no grip for ALL fingers???).
    It's like the Taurus Judge I had, after taking it to the range the first time and shooting 410 and 45 Colt rounds, I immediately went home and ordered full-sized grips.
    For shooting I'll just have to get some hogue grips.

Bought this off a member here who was selling 4(I think) different revolvers, and I wanted either of two of them, but they got spoken for while I was trying to be good and just look but not touch.
    To me this is a unique fun piece, and will look forward to shooting it, but since it is SS with wood handles, I will be happy to look at it for entertainment.

Ruger Stainless Steel, Lipsey’s Exclusive, New Model Blackhawk Convertible, 5.5in barrel, 357/38 cylinder & 9mm Luger cylinder
    Model # 05247
    I bought this off the original owner and this revolver has not been fired outside of the factory testing.
    Images below show the complete factory package and all items included.
    Comes w/ 2 cylinders for 357/38 & 9mm Luger.

User Info Menu

I have basically the same gun, except mine is 45 Colt.
    Its the brings a smile to my face gun
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Who doesn't love a Ruger revolver in 38/357 and 9 mm cylinder. Priceless.
    Knowledge keeps one from being vulnerable.

User Info Menu

Good to hear!
    How do you live with those small SP type grips especially with a 45 Colt!

User Info Menu

.357 magnum. Now we are talking!
    I was me then I was mcapo then I was T-Dogg....now I am Bandit. The Bandit.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have a Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and love it. And while it's accurate with the 357 it won't be quite as accurate with the 9mm but still nice to plink with

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red_zr24x4 View Post
    I have basically the same gun, except mine is 45 Colt.
    Its the brings a smile to my face gun
    Same here, with the 7.5" barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and nice to be able to shoot 45 acp a little more cheaply than 45 colt (but I reload, so 45 colt doesn't break the bank either).

Doddg, nice score! I was lusting after that one in the classifieds too. As for the grip being small, I've got small hands so mine doesn't bother me, however I did shoot a 44 magnum with similar grips and that was only fun for the first couple of shots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcapo View Post
    .357 magnum. Now we are talking!
    1. I have a .357 Ruger Security Six (SS with large wood handles, plus a smaller pair), but not a range toy.

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    I have a Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and love it. And while it's accurate with the 357 it won't be quite as accurate with the 9mm but still nice to plink with

2. I assumed something would be lost with the using of the same barrel since there is a slight difference in size.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Same here, with the 7.5" barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and nice to be able to shoot 45 acp a little more cheaply than 45 colt (but I reload, so 45 colt doesn't break the bank either).

3. I can't get to the range till Tuesday, but I can't wait with the Ruger Charger and this other Ruger to put through the targets.

Doddg, nice score! I was lusting after that one in the classifieds too. As for the grip being small, I've got small hands so mine doesn't bother me, however I did shoot a 44 magnum with similar grips and that was only fun for the first couple of shots.
    4. I was surprised it was still available, but it is a niche piece.
    5. I probably will order some hogue grips for it like I have done for other revolvers I've had that have a grip that's too small for me.

User Info Menu

Well, I got my butt kicked shooting this pm (first time taking only 1 gun to the range).
    It shot very low, rear sight was adjusted to the max to bring it up, but I ended up having to bring the front sight half way up the flat plane of the rear sight (I'm sure I don't have correct terminology).
    I even had the range master shoot it and he had the same experience.
    I will show picks: very bad shooting.

I want bigger grips: shooting hurt my hand reminding me of shooting the Taurus Judge, which was fine when I got grips and could get a good purchase with.
    If you know the exact grips send: post it or send me a pm.
    My range didn't have any for it, and my quick look showed a Hogue grip for it to be $20ish.
    Bigger grips for a Ruger Stainless Steel, Lipsey’s Exclusive, New Model Blackhawk Convertible, 5.5in barrel, 357/38 cylinder & 9mm Luger cylinder
    Model # 05247

The range master told me I might need to get a smaller front sight, also.
    I don't understand why it comes from the factory like this???
    I tried the rear sights adjusted all the way down, which cause it too shoot the lowest (clockwise).
    I adjusted the rear sights all the way up (counter clockwise) to bring the sights up and even so far as for the screw to come out (yes, I screwed it back in some), but there wasn't enough adjustment to make it right.
    I still had to bring the long front sight 1/2 up past the rear sights "flat plane." (probably wrong terminology).

The 9mm was harder to shoot than the 38sp+, and I expected the opposite.
    I didn not take any .357 to shoot since I was just wanting to get it sighted in correctly tonight.
    I'm disappointed that the adjustment will not let me.
    I had 3 S/W .38sp revolvers: all shot great! Should have kept the older police service unit: it was awesome!

This pic is with just the 9mm chamber.
    All only 20'.
    #2 was the 1st chamber shot.
    The #2.
    Between #1 & #2 was the range master trying it out (still low).
    #3 I adjusted the sights the wrong way.
    #4 was sights adjusted all the way up.
    #5 was me bringing up the front sight past the flat plane of the rear sights.
    Using Remington UMC 115 grain.

Top: me compensating by bringing up the front sight: 9mm at 20'.
    Middle: 30' doing the same.
    Bottom: used .38sp+ Magtech with the .357 chamber at 20'.
    158 grain

All in all, a poor showing.
    Grips will stop the pain of shooting (couldn't do any more and I had the ammo with me).
    I don't want to put my fluorescent gun sight paint on the long front sight, perhaps using red, green and white all 3 on the front sight b/c if I decide to sell it, someone might object even though it will come off with solvent.

1st step: grips.
    Then maybe different front sights.
    Someone will be able to tell me what to do or where to go to do it.

Last edited by doddg; 01-07-2019 at 22:16.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I used to own a blue 357 Blackhawk convertible with the 4 5/8" barrel. I am not sure the height of the front sight but never had any issues adjusting to the point of aim with 357 ammo. I don't recall firing 38s in it but I did with a 6 1/2" model I once owned. As to my 9mm cylinder I did not use it much but it seemed to shoot fairly well at 15 yards.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast