• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dubbjjart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2019
    Kalamazoo
    If their was a premium gun Holster that was carbon fiber reinforced and had a proprietary, scratch resistant interior, would it be worth investing in if it were $200 or less ?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a carbon reinforced plastic/kydex holster for my P239. I think I gave $40 for it. Somewhere in that area.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If their was a premium gun Holster that was carbon fiber reinforced and had a proprietary, scratch resistant interior, would it be worth investing in if it were $200 or less ?

No. What is it doing that a more affordable holster wouldn't?

Properly maintained kydex or leather won't or scratch a firearms finish. What does the carbon fiber do that kydex doesnt?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

No, I wouldn't pay that much of a markup on the promise that it wouldn't scratch a firearm. A few reasons come to mind. Price and value of the carry gun gun are part of the equation, and the fact that most of the time, scratches, etc from holsters are caused more by debris, dirt, etc that get inside the holster and possibly embedded into the holster surface causing a gritty surface to come in contact with the firearm than the holster material itself.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    How well does the rest of the holster function? It can have all the CF bling and unobtainium whoosits you can fit but if it doesn't function as a good holster to start with why bother? If it's a good holster, it doesn't need the bling...

CF: why? if you're breaking a non-CF holster you should reconsider your holster selection or choice of daily activities.

non-scratch: already covered by others: a decent holster won't scratch to start with. Even then, a scratch is a failed holster. non-wearing might be of more value but even then, with most finishes these days it's a cosmetic issue and almost a badge of honer with some folk. A soft, non-wear-inducing material has a chance to trap dirt and thereby cause more wear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation but long story short, I'd rather pay $200 for a better functioning (comfort, concealability, ease-of-draw, etc) holster out of conventional materials than one with fancy catchwords and claims to fix non or minor issues.

dubbjjart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2019
    Kalamazoo
    How well does the rest of the holster function? It can have all the CF bling and unobtainium whoosits you can fit but if it doesn't function as a good holster to start with why bother? If it's a good holster, it doesn't need the bling...

CF: why? if you're breaking a non-CF holster you should reconsider your holster selection or choice of daily activities.

non-scratch: already covered by others: a decent holster won't scratch to start with. Even then, a scratch is a failed holster. non-wearing might be of more value but even then, with most finishes these days it's a cosmetic issue and almost a badge of honer with some folk. A soft, non-wear-inducing material has a chance to trap dirt and thereby cause more wear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation but long story short, I'd rather pay $200 for a better functioning (comfort, concealability, ease-of-draw, etc) holster out of conventional materials than one with fancy catchwords and claims to fix non or minor issues.

100% understand that. I agree with you.
    These Holster are also hand painted with very high level art and limited to only 500 per series. That does come into the price point but I did not mention that because I wanted wonderful feedback like this.

Is a OWB holster less important to you than a IBW holster?
    Greatly appreciate the feedback

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    These Holster are also hand painted with very high level art and limited to only 500 per series. That does come into the price point but I did not mention that because I wanted wonderful feedback like this.

My preference is IWB, so hand painted would not do anything for me, but may be of interest for others, and maybe some competition shooters would be interested for example, if the rigs were setup properly for competition.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Ahh... for the artsy-fartsy OC crowd.

...bit of a niche market.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If im putting a pistol in a holster i don't care if it shows wear. Hand painted holster does nothing for me personally, but i don't mind a peacock holster for competition. Red Hill Tactical holsters have yet to leave any noticable marks on my competition guns (glocks and 1911s), but to be fair i have 140ish in each by the time you add in hangers.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Not interested in a $200 holster.
    Not interested in a holster that is a piece of art.
    But, that's just me.
    I suspect the target market for something like this would certainly be only a niche market rather than something that would broadly appeal to the firearms community.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Since discovering Kramer horsehide holsters, I have no need/desire for Kydex, CF or leather. Horsehide is hard molded like Kydex and has great retention, yet is easy on the finish of a gun. Unlike leather, it’s also impervious to water and will not get floppy like a wet leather holster.

https://www.kramerleather.com/collections/all/products/belt-scabbard

I've been carrying a Glock 19 in this Kramer scabbard for the last few days (thnx bb!) and I must say you're description is spot on. Wow what a comfortable and nice holster, molded specific for perfect retention. Holds as close to the body as some IWB holsters ive used before. I'm very impressed

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    OP are you out of your mind? Take a gander at some of the threads here, they start something like... “Who make the very cheapest sausage sack holster I can possibly get”. I don’t mind paying $$’s for quality, but for $200 this holster better treat me like Robert Kraft’s last “massage therapist”. You’re barking up the wrong tree, you need to take something, that is the BeST there is, and also be able to make it the cheapest. The race to zero is strong in the gun community.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, the market for such a product is not only limited but also has quite a bit of competition from exotic leather holster makers. I would think most of the people willing to pay $200 for a holster would opt for exotic leather over hand painted carbon fiber.

Top Bottom