• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    So apparently I'm a clean after every trip to the range kind of guy.
    SP101 and a Ruger 22 Bearcat
    I have seen where people always do 100% cleaning, and those that rarely clean.
    I have been spraying down with CLP, using a nylon brush on the frame, and just running some patches down the barrell and through the cylinder. After all patches come out clean i run oil down the barrell and cylinder, and rub down exterior. No bore brush used.
    Is this practice ok?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I clean depends on what I shot and when I expect to shoot it next. If I brought back home a bag of well shot striker fired pistols, I am not too worried about cleaning unless it’s been more that 200 rounds since the last cleaning. If I shot something today and know that I’ll shoot it again tomorrow, I won’t bother cleaning unless I shot the crap out of it today.

Exceptions are a couple of 1911s and revolvers. I enjoy cleaning those and will rarely put them away dirty even if I only put a handful of rounds through them.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I shoot 38 special in my revolvers and I cannot stand the power burns on the front of the cylinder so I clean them after every time I shoot them. But I do like to keep all my pistols and rifles clean and ready to go. Just like I like my car clean and serviced, I don’t have anything special. But I don’t have much money either so it does have to last me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been spraying down with CLP, using a nylon brush on the frame, and just running some patches down the barrell and through the cylinder. After all patches come out clean i run oil down the barrell and cylinder, and rub down exterior. No bore brush used.
    Is this practice ok?

Exactly how I have always cleaned revolvers...or any gun for that matter. I always clean my guns within a day of shooting or hunting with them.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Is this practice ok?

that sounds fine if you’re doing that after every period of use. I do use a bore brush on all my .22lr handguns/rifles though, helps remove some of lead fouling more than the patches can get.

edit: and I am like you, I do like to clean after every use and store clean and ready to go.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I used to clean after every range trip. Old habits die hard. But I was shooting once a month maybe 200 rounds. About a year ago my mindset changed to I don't know if I can rely on my guns if I don't have a chance to clean them for an extended period. Now, I shoot about 300-400 rounds a week. Duty guns get wiped down and oiled each time. Cleaned every 1k or when I know they wont be shot soon. Revolvers or my "collectable" guns get about 200 round a year get cleaned thoroughly immediately. I try not to use a bore brush for these. Your method is about what I do. I am careful not to apply more wear than I have to.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Almost all of my pistols are "working guns" for me so they are all cleaned very throughly after each range trip to check for premature wear and tear.

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I always wipe the power burns on the front of the cylinder and clean the forcing cone. The cone can be a hard clean if left for a while.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sounds like you are doing a good job. Lead solvent and copper wool is what I used after I shot up a bunch of raw lead projectiles. Plated or jacked your method is good to go.

It got to be too much work. I sold everything off and shoot Glocks now. Shoot them as much as you want and throw them back in a bag for next time. Sure makes life easy. More ammo is all is needed.

My old Rugers on the other hand were a pain. Sneeze on it and its rusty. Went through a lot of products and wasted a lot of time cleaning.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I just run a patch though the barrel and the cylinders then wipe them down....I'd hate for the gun to start looking rough....

rimg.php

Very important to have a .22 brush when shooting the Bearcat or any of the K 22 family....Tight chambers and after 50 or so rounds I brush them real good with some Hoppes # 9....

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've found the bronze brushes and hoppes good when cleaning the fouling ring in my 357 revolvers- i shoot a lot of cast 38s, but want the 357s to chamber easy when I'm in the mood for the "big bangs "

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Thanks guys.
    Allot of good info here.
    I just want to get this stuff right.
    Poor maintenance results in a bad experience. Not what I'm after.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is Hoppe’s #9 safe for nickel finishes? I was thinking that it was not. I picked up a nickel 581 this week and have been shooting it a bunch, but now it needs a bit of cleaning. I’ll have to go through what I have around to see what I used to use on my old nickel 586 years ago. I probably still have some of it around.

Top Bottom