• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have looked at a 659 (title is wrong of a 693) here in the Classifieds/$350 with multiple mags, from the 80s, 2nd gen, nice and heavy like I like: I didn't buy.
    I finally made it up to Westfield to look at the 6 out of many that Chris has left of SW 5903/$350 +tax (90s, 3rd gen, alloy, not as heavy): had one picked out if I was going to buy: I didn't.
    It was hard to walk away, but I need to learn to do that this year: the new me. :dunno:

It was recommended to me to get a 5906 since I love the heavier pistols.

The 5903 reminded me of my Ruger P95/$350 with multiple mags.
    I thought that one of these SW could take the place of my Ruger P95, but I'm not sure I'd be gaining anything.

I have a CZ Shadow 2/$950 that the Wizard is going to do some mild upgrades for me (under $300): my ultimate gun.
    I have a Bersa Thunder Pro XT/$400 (best buy ever for a competition gun out of the box) that is the reason I probably don't need my Ruger P95 anymore and will probably sell it when I get around to it.

I'm not sure how my Ruger Officers 1911 9mm/$600 fits into all this, I don't need it, but I just like it: smallish, accurate and attractive (but only an 8 round capacity which is a reason for replacing it with a SW gen 3, plus less money tied up).
    But, it is like-new which has its appeal, even though double the money of the SW gen 2/3.

I have a CC 9mm: Sig 365/$535, so I'm covered there, but I like the idea of having a larger capacity 9mm for CC if I want like the SW 2nd/3rd generation (Bersa XT a little too large for a CC for me).
    Really only need 1 range 9mm, and I have 4: going to be very hard to trim down to only 2, maybe have to keep three.

I wonder if a 2nd or 3rd gen Smith has any place with my limited needs for 9mm.
    Just processing: I love to overthink everything. It's is entertainment for me.

Last edited:

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I have never seen someone shoot the 5906 and never touch it again. I enjoy mine. I would buy another if given the chance at a decent price.
    As far as that ‘decent price’ everyone likes to hold up an old CDNN flyer when it comes time to buy...those days are over. Other want to hold up a screenshot of gunbroker displaying a non-police NIB.

Long of the short...Yes you need one, if you get it and hate it let me know.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have never seen someone shoot the 5906 and never touch it again. I enjoy mine. I would buy another if given the chance at a decent price.
    As far as that ‘decent price’ everyone likes to hold up an old CDNN flyer when it comes time to buy...those days are over. Other want to hold up a screenshot of gunbroker displaying a non-police NIB.

Long of the short...Yes you need one, if you get it and hate it let me know.

1. I have a feeling, based on what you are saying that the 5906 doesn't come by in the $350 range.
    2. Thanks for the endorsement, that is the same that I got in a pm yesterday!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1) You can find one for $350. I would buy quickly buy a second one at the price, if one was made available to me.
    2)
    3)A nice one will cost you $400 to $750 (with boxes, etc.). TSWs tend to sell for a little more. Condition is king as the the 3rd gens Smiths have a bit of a collectors market. Not high dollar (with a handful of exceptions) but I know a few people that have 3)modest collections. :whistle:
    5)
    6)Here is a real world example of a current sale of a "nice" one that, if my info is correct, sold for $500.
    7)
    8) http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/579853-smith-wesson-5906-crimson-trace-sites.html
    9)
    10)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1) You can find one for $350. I would buy quickly buy a second one at the price, if one was made available to me.
    2)
    3)A nice one will cost you $400 to $750 (with boxes, etc.). TSWs tend to sell for a little more. Condition is king as the the 3rd gens Smiths have a bit of a collectors market. Not high dollar (with a handful of exceptions) but I know a few people that have 3)modest collections. :whistle:
    5)
    6)Here is a real world example of a current sale of a "nice" one that, if my info is correct, sold for $500.
    7)
    8) http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/579853-smith-wesson-5906-crimson-trace-sites.html
    9)
    10)

A. That was a fine gun.
    B. crimson laser grips ($250) included: give me one w/o them. :dunno:
    C. Since I'm just looking for a shooter, I could settle for some holster rash.
    D. mcapo, with you experience with all things 9mm (and probably every other caliber), what about the context of it fitting in and replacing another one of my 9mms, or is it a "stand-alone" b/c of its uniqueness as my others are (except the Bersa XT and Shadow 2 are of the same genre, it's just that the Bersa was so inexpensive for what it was, b/c of the value I had to have it.
    E. I would imagine that if I had a SW 5906, it would be easy to part with the Ruger P95, since I view them in the same "lane," by my inexperienced insight.
    F. Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback!
    G. Loved the numbering to just poke some fun: I'm still laughing at it! :rofl:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The smiths are a different breed. I got sucked into the rabbit hole just like the Cz's I would be interested in most any gen @350 depending on condition. But being a deal searcher that I am, I don't know if it's a must have especially for what I assume is an average condition 5906. You have to experience one to know if you like them or not. Good news is, I believe there to be a good market for these smiths

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The smiths are a different breed. I got sucked into the rabbit hole just like the Cz's I would be interested in most any gen @350 depending on condition. But being a deal searcher that I am, I don't know if it's a must have especially for what I assume is an average condition 5906. You have to experience one to know if you like them or not. Good news is, I believe there to be a good market for these smiths

1. Liking is not an issue.
    2. I like nearly everything, but I really prefer a heavy, hammer-fired, with DA/SA, a decocker is nice, and this gun has it all.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    what about the context of it fitting in and replacing another one of my 9mms, or is it a "stand-alone" b/c of its uniqueness as my others are (except the Bersa XT and Shadow 2 are of the same genre, it's just that the Bersa was so inexpensive for what it was, b/c of the value I had to have it.

Nothing terrible unique about a 3rd gen SW. Same basic design as about a billion other pistols.

They are representative of the top tier of DUTY pistols in their era and a 5906 is generally representative of SW offerings. It’s a good place to start, that’s all I’m saying.

Mechanical accuracy potential is not going exceed the Shadow 2. While the SA trigger is ok, it ain’t nothing like you’re going to get with a SAO Shadow 2!

You have stated before that part of this is your desire to “experience” a wide range of semi auto handguns. A few thirds gens Smith belong in that journey. You may not like them, you might get a junk one but you’ll never know until you own a few of them for at least a day or two...........

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Here are a few to wet your appetite

Top row is 4506 - 4006 - 1006

Bottom row is 1st gen to 3rd gen. 59 - 659 - 5906

438e5e77d0f386cbe6e590e83877e373.jpg

Last edited:

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Have you tried the S&W 669 (I may have the number wrong)? Slightly smaller than the 69 or 59, with factory 12 round mag., and seems to work with the full size magazines. Just a thought, a bit large for me, but what a classic. (and it's a Smith)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nothing terrible unique about a 3rd gen SW. Same basic design as about a billion other pistols.
    They are representative of the top tier of DUTY pistols in their era and a 5906 is generally representative of SW offerings. It’s a good place to start, that’s all I’m saying.
    Mechanical accuracy potential is not going exceed the Shadow 2. While the SA trigger is ok, it ain’t nothing like you’re going to get with a SAO Shadow 2!
    You have stated before that part of this is your desire to “experience” a wide range of semi auto handguns. A few thirds gens Smith belong in that journey. You may not like them, you might get a junk one but you’ll never know until you own a few of them for at least a day or two...........

1. Your first statement of "nothing terrible unique about a 3rd gen. SW" was a "heads-up" for me: a warning that as I have not been impressed with dozens of other 9mms over dozens of others, and have found uniqueness in but a few. :dunno:
    2. I don't expect anything to be close to my Shadow 2, especially since Losey is "tweaking" it a bit.
    3. The Bersa XT has out-shown all other 9mms I've had, and has come as close to the Shadow 2 as I expect anything else will (for the money I'm willing to spend), and I wouldn't think that the SW 5906 would be in the same ballpark as either.
    4. My last 1.5 yrs. of little experience has worn me out and shown me how I have chased after so many rabbits.
    5. I remember someone scolding me telling me to quit buying and just shoot what I have: I never forgot those words of wisdom, and actually one of the reasons I justified doing something I said I'd never do: upgrade my "perfect" Shadow. :dunno:
    6. Since I intend to keep my "top gun," fine tuning my favorite shooter is investing in what I have: thin justification, but I'll live with my inconsistencies. :)
    7. Thank-you for for your insights and reflections, I value you as someone to process with since you have been there and back. And again. And again. :lmfao:

Top Bottom