• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    For the love of.... first response and 16 minutes to sidestep the OP's question and recommend a Glock? Is that some sort of record?

To the original question: They're notorious for a stupidly heavy DA trigger pull, in the neighborhood of 22 pounds. Aftermarket spring kits are available to fix that. The P-64 also only has a 6 round magazine, and 9x18 isn't always available. Your defense ammunition choices are also limited, but Hornady makes an acceptable defensive round with the XTP bullet. It's got more oomph than a .380 and they're everywhere.

If you don't want to be like everyone else, it would be a decent low cost choice for deep concealment in a pocket holster. Like most smaller guns the recoil can be a bit tiresome in longer range sessions. Magazines can also be a bit of a hunt but they're out there.

Dare to be different, says the guy that loves HK but carries a Bulgarian Makarov almost everywhere.

Chris

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have changed out the springs on one, and the DA pull is still *way* heavy, but 'better'. The gun itself is a hunk of steel and you will probably notice it if you pocket carry. Would not assume it's drop safe. The sights are challenging (tiny) and not adjustable. As for accuracy, mine tended to shoot off POA with Russian steel-cased 9mm. Theoretically the right ammo might cure that.

Practically zero after-market accessories.

They weren't really designed as CCW or defensive firearms, methinks, but if that's what you have and you like it, more power to you....

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have aftermarket polish iron or something grips. They also make an extended mag release. I got both of mine last year sent to the house for under 215 each. I see classic firearms is out but I have no complaints. It sits in my center console.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They're terribly uncomfortable to shoot. Poor ergonomics. Horrible no good rotten DA trigger pull - even with a changed spring. SA trigger pull, however, seemed nice.

There are dozens of better guns for carrying, IMO.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No. The P64, besides what everyone above me said, it's NOT drop safe.

THIS.

I've seen pictures. :nailbite:

Plus, like everyone has said, it's too heavy, bulky, painful to shoot, horrible trigger...

Pretty much every other Polish gun is good stuff, but the P64 is certainly the outlier. I have one still in the box, but only to "complete the look".

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Why not ? sure, they're heavy for their size when compared to the plastic crap that's all the rage these days. But they're well built, reliable and inexpensive- and being a milsurp, extra cool! Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but so what?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why not ? sure, they're heavy for their size when compared to the plastic crap that's all the rage these days. But they're well built, reliable and inexpensive- and being a milsurp, extra cool! Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but so what?

Repeat after me - "It's not drop safe".

If someone comes to INGO and ask for advice, we're going to give it. If you've got a hard-on for milsurp and want to be a Makarov hipster kitty (I is one), carry a CZ-82. At least it's got a good capacity and decent sights. Otherwise, find a nice compact 9mm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I think it is a cool gun, I dont carry a gun because it is a cool gun.

I think mauser C96's are really cool. It just doesnt make sense to carry one.
    Buy the P64 and have fun with it at home/range. But if you ever NEED a gun their are dozens of modern choices that are maybe less cool but more practical.

the least exspensive most practical gun I can think of is a trade in glock 22, thus the recomendation.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The safety/ decocker also blocks the firing pin, iim standing by my earlier post- know the gun and how it functions, kinda basic advice,

Given how hard it is to work the safety switch on those things, it's not something I'd recommend to some who's 70 (OP's listed age). I'm not sure I can work that safety with my thumb alone.

Plus, I'd guess that if you exclude 1911's, much less than half of INGO carries their pistol with the safety engaged (if they have one).

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If my car were broken into I'd rather lose a p64 and wait to recover it than lose one of my 3rd gen S&W's, or CZ 75 or 85, or any of my other more valuable firearms.

Here's a link to get different grips that stop slide/hammer bite and extended mag release: https://www.polishirongrips.com

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If my car were broken into I'd rather lose a p64 and wait to recover it than lose one of my 3rd gen S&W's, or CZ 75 or 85, or any of my other more valuable firearms.

Here's a link to get different grips that stop slide/hammer bite and extended mag release: https://www.polishirongrips.com

That's where mine lives. It's reasonably accurate, horrible DA trigger pull (but plenty fine for car window distances) even with the Wolff replacement spring, but it's also built like a tank and goes bang every time. SA trigger is great. I also have a CZ-82 and much prefer it to the P64 for EDC use. To the OP, I don't know that I'd want it for an EDC, but as others have said, for a BUG or glovebox/console gun (or just because it's neat :)) then it's not a bad little gun.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Try it, but it might take a bit more training than other options for you to use it effectively. 20+#trigger... :nailbite:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you've already got one, and can't afford a more modern carry pistol go for it. Otherwise, LCPs are affordable enough and make a better carry pistol in just about every way, and I say this as someone with a carry rig, and 8 mags for my P64.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    I agree with a lot of what is being written in this thread. I am a huge fan of milsurps. Milsurps are my passion in firearm collecting. I have owned a P-64, I did the spring swaps. It made the double action pull from ridiculous to way too much. It is accurate for being what it is with the fixed position barrel, but I would not use it as a carry pistol. I carry a Gen 2 G22 trade in or a S&W Bodyguard .380 depending on what is appropriate for my attire. To each his own, but there is nothing wrong with a modern Glock combat pistol or small polymer .380 for carry in defense of your life....that being said, still love my milsurps.

Top Bottom