Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC? I read a lot of reviews when they first came out about problems and malfunctions. My only interest in the gun is if it's a better option for daily carry than my S&W shield. Better option being defined as 1.) just as reliable, 2.) more ammunition, 3.) nearly identical in size.

My every day carry gun has been a S&W shield pocket carried for years. When the P365 came out I was interested mostly because of the additional ammo it holds. Enough reviews came out initially about reliability that I was quickly turned off by it. I'm wondering now if the bugs have been worked out to the point that I can bet my life on it, or my families life on it. If it's not as reliable as a shield, I'm not interested.

Any thoughts?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have had one for about a month, so far I have put 500 rounds of various types of ammo through it including SD hollow points and have not had 1 malfunction and accuracy is excellent.
    I was using a shield before but I like the 365 much better. 12 rounds was the biggest selling point but it is also a great shooter.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Cause the Shield never had a recall when they were new on the market

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/daniel-zimmerman/smith-wesson-recalls-mp-shields/

https://secure05.lwcdirect.com/fron...inType=skipWelcome&clientID=742&campaignID=63

Point of this being you could have a $3k "battle proven" pistol design that will fail no matter what, it doesn't mean YOUR pistol will do that. It's up to you to test your own carry gun, just cause others have been flawless doesn't mean yours will be. Just because others have had problems doesn't mean that you will

You ever drive a vehicle that was never issued a recall on? I know I haven't because at one time or another, pretty much everything will have a recall on it for something

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Same experience as AllenM. I am over 1000 rounds. The gun looks new (striker channel, striker, etc.) and hasn't had a stoppage. It also went over 900 rounds without a cleaning without an issue.

It shoots like a bigger gun than it is but carries very small.

An esteemed member here has a P365 with something like 2700 rounds with no issues and his is the "original" version. He might stop in with details.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Cause the Shield never had a recall when they were new on the market

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/daniel-zimmerman/smith-wesson-recalls-mp-shields/

https://secure05.lwcdirect.com/fron...inType=skipWelcome&clientID=742&campaignID=63

Point of this being you could have a $3k "battle proven" pistol design that will fail no matter what, it doesn't mean YOUR pistol will do that. It's up to you to test your own carry gun, just cause others have been flawless doesn't mean yours will be. Just because others have had problems doesn't mean that you will

You ever drive a vehicle that was never issued a recall on? I know I haven't because at one time or another, pretty much everything will have a recall on it for something

I didn't buy a shield when they first came out. Most new models of anything cars to guns get the bugs worked out after it's been released. I get that. What I'm asking was had enough time gone by that most of the bugs had been worked out. Obviously, one guns performance isn't always copied identically in another, but there is some amount of expectation that a glock 19 out of the box is going to run like all or most others, just like a taurus whatever is going to run like the all the models of the same gun. Do you get the concept or why I might have asked that question now? If the Sig P365 had a general reputation it probably got that for a reason and I'm asking to find out about it from other owners, not paid off writes from gun magazines, or a paid off you tuber who's livelihood depends on putting out a positive review. I hope that makes sense for you.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They tell you to never buy the first year of a new car, yet many do and never have a problem. Of course there are the few unlucky ones who do have problems and they are the only ones you hear about. People who don't have problems usually don't complain so you never hear the many who are enjoying their new stuff.

The P365 got rave reviews when it was announced due to it's small size and reasonable capacity. And like any new to market item, once they started getting a ton of uses, some problems showed up. The nice thing is unlike the auto makers who make you wait a model year or so for updates, Sig got into the trenches and modified the P365 as needed until it is now a very reliable and very useful pistol.

How many people to this day still complain about the reliability of the venerable 1911? How many complain how bad the Beretta M9/92FS is due to the early models being fed over-pressure rounds that subsequently led to failure, when in normal use there were no problems?

Thankfully Sig puts a "born on" date on the boxes so you will know if the one you are looking at is of the "more reliable" later model.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I didn't buy a shield when they first came out. Most new models of anything cars to guns get the bugs worked out after it's been released. I get that. What I'm asking was had enough time gone by that most of the bugs had been worked out. ...

It's been a yr since the P365 was announced, so probably, IF the mfg is conscientious (which might be debatable).

Seems like the most recent examples are running pretty well.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I didn't buy a shield when they first came out. Most new models of anything cars to guns get the bugs worked out after it's been released. I get that. What I'm asking was had enough time gone by that most of the bugs had been worked out. Obviously, one guns performance isn't always copied identically in another, but there is some amount of expectation that a glock 19 out of the box is going to run like all or most others, just like a taurus whatever is going to run like the all the models of the same gun. Do you get the concept or why I might have asked that question now? If the Sig P365 had a general reputation it probably got that for a reason and I'm asking to find out about it from other owners, not paid off writes from gun magazines, or a paid off you tuber who's livelihood depends on putting out a positive review. I hope that makes sense for you.

It's a production firearm that was designed for carry and self defense. If the guns didn't work or were unsafe they wouldnt produce them and they'd probably be open to some major lawsuits.

I get your question but at the same time, any gun from any manufacturer can fail you. Hell whatever carry ammo you use the manufacturer might have used a dead primer or forgot to put powder in it, never know until you pull the trigger

I carried a P290RS for several years and mine ran like a champ. Only time it ever hanged up on me was with some old surplus ammo I had lying around and figured what the hell. When I bought it I knew the 290 had bad reviews and the RS model had some as well so I knew I needed to test mine before i could trust it. I personally verified mine was reliable

As mentioned above the the people with issues will be a lot more vocal that the people without. If 100 people chime in and 99 of them have been perfect, would you focus on their reviews or the 1 negative ?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree with what you guys have been saying. I usually have at least a couple hundred rounds through any pistol before I trust it. I consider it a probation period until that point.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't have one (yet), but to me the key selling point for the P365 is how it feels when you shoot it. It doesn't feel like a micro compact gun. It feels more like a bigger gun when it fires and it's very easy to make the bullets go where you want them to go.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's a production firearm that was designed for carry and self defense. If the guns didn't work or were unsafe they wouldnt produce them and they'd probably be open to some major lawsuits.

I'm not sure that is an argument I would use in the firearms world. There are examples of non working, and even unsafe firearms that have been manufactured, either without crazy lawsuits, or at least where it took years to come to that. Not saying that is the case with the 365 at all.

Sig themselves has had some recent safety issues themselves, and the fix is a voluntary upgrade vs a recall. And there are many more examples.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been checking the Sig forums and the early problems seem to be worked out.
    That's why I finally bought one recently that was made on Dec 1, 2018.
    I tested it today and it worked flawlessly, though I only fired 56 rounds from three 12 round mags and two 10 round mags.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Odds of getting a "good one" on new production are really good. Firing pin breakage seems to have been resolved. If I really wanted one, I'd buy new. I'm sticking with the Shield, though. I shot one at the rental range, nice little gun, nothing that's enough of an upgrade for me to move to it and all the logistics that entails (magazines, which are pricey, new holsters, replacement springs on hand, etc). I hate changing platforms when I've got a lot of logistical support behind what I've already got, so there needs to be a real payoff. I didn't see one. I'm also less impressed with capacity then a lot of folks are, though.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Though i don't remember which forum i read it on recently, somebody said that their department added the P365 to allowable back-up pistols.
    If memory serves they tested a group of P365's using a 5000 round test.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Odds of getting a "good one" on new production are really good. Firing pin breakage seems to have been resolved. If I really wanted one, I'd buy new. I'm sticking with the Shield, though. I shot one at the rental range, nice little gun, nothing that's enough of an upgrade for me to move to it and all the logistics that entails (magazines, which are pricey, new holsters, replacement springs on hand, etc). I hate changing platforms when I've got a lot of logistical support behind what I've already got, so there needs to be a real payoff. I didn't see one. I'm also less impressed with capacity then a lot of folks are, though.

This is something that a lot of people don't take into consideration, they should. It's one of the reasons I won't own a Springfield again. Even without my horrible XDs recall experience and the lies told by the company, and their more recent shenanigans in Illinois, I still won't have one. During the time I did own a couple I had a hard time trying to find replacement parts. If/when you did they were expensive for what they were. I like my PPS M2, but it's the same way and will be going to the safe after I get around to it's recall. The Shield will become my EDC. It's reliable, mags are inexpensive and I can make a spare parts kit to rebuild it if necessary.

To answer the OP's question. Maybe. All manufacturers can have a lemon, some have a higher risk of it though. Every gun that you carry needs to be tested and pass your individual standards. For me that means a minimum of 300 rounds FMJ, 100 HST, and 100 Gold Dot from the mags that it comes with. Each additional mag gets tested on it's own before it becomes a carry mag. If there are ANY failures (that aren't ammo related) during that 500 round test then the test starts again. A second failure results the sale of the gun.

I kind of like the P365, but will give it another year or so before picking one up. That's assuming the cost of mags & availability of parts is acceptable. If I can't buy spare parts then I won't own it. This has been a big thing for us for a long time. Without mags and repair parts then they become expensive paperweights.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not sure that is an argument I would use in the firearms world. There are examples of non working, and even unsafe firearms that have been manufactured, either without crazy lawsuits, or at least where it took years to come to that. Not saying that is the case with the 365 at all.

Sig themselves has had some recent safety issues themselves, and the fix is a voluntary upgrade vs a recall. And there are many more examples.

Defintely not saying that all guns ever made were safe, just talking about the past say 30-40 years. There's definitely been some horrible and unsafe designs throughout the years. Some designs from the 1900s-1930s were awful in hindsight. Get into the 80s-current times when lawsuits and safety accountability have become more prevalent and its forced manufactures to stand behind their products. However some guns are made so cheaply that they will over time just fail due to soft metal

Is a tricky thing to articulate properly; especially when some things just happen. Unexpected parts failures in firearms especially after years and years of use, it's hard to predict parts fatigue or polymer bonds degrading overtime (mainly referring to old Browning duratouch stocks that turned to sticky crap)

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    For those talking about spare parts, it does seem as they are starting to trickle out into the pipeline. I just ordered a recoil spring assembly to have on hand when the round count climbs. Got it and a 12 round mag from top gun supply. They also had striker assemblies, trigger springs, extractors, grip frames, and lots of other common parts. Prices where the best I could find, but still not cheap. It is a SIG after all.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    For those talking about spare parts, it does seem as they are starting to trickle out into the pipeline. I just ordered a recoil spring assembly to have on hand when the round count climbs. Got it and a 12 round mag from top gun supply. They also had striker assemblies, trigger springs, extractors, grip frames, and lots of other common parts. Prices where the best I could find, but still not cheap. It is a SIG after all.

Good to hear they are at least available.:yesway:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Agreed. Changing platforms is a considerable expense (holsters, magazines, etc), and one that I don't take lightly either, for all the same reasons you mentioned.

Defintely not saying that all guns ever made were safe, just talking about the past say 30-40 years. There's definitely been some horrible and unsafe designs throughout the years. Some designs from the 1900s-1930s were awful in hindsight. Get into the 80s-current times when lawsuits and safety accountability have become more prevalent and its forced manufactures to stand behind their products. However some guns are made so cheaply that they will over time just fail due to soft metal

Is a tricky thing to articulate properly; especially when some things just happen. Unexpected parts failures in firearms especially after years and years of use, it's hard to predict parts fatigue or polymer bonds degrading overtime (mainly referring to old Browning duratouch stocks that turned to sticky crap)

One would not need to go back that far... again, not bashing Sig, but the recent not drop safe introduction of the Sig 320 seems to prove out my point.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Stick around long enough and you'll have something happen, like pulling the trigger of your EDC/BUG G-27 .40 and the slide slides off because of a broken slide release spring.
    You'll be talking with a Buddy not paying attention and go to insert a magazine into your off duty at the time G-19, and put it in backwards, and the next step is to seat the mag which you do.
    Now you go it stuck and need to get it in stuck.
    With your Issue G-22, you'll need to knock down a steel plate at the range, and move to the next target with "EVERYBODY" lined up behind you to take their turn(watching and laughing),
    and I swear you hit that target sixteen times (PING,PING,PING etc, etc) you hear before you reload and drop the plate with shot #seventeen.
    It happens...............no gun/load/human work 100% of the time, we wish they do but,$#!+ happens !

Top Bottom