• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I don't like them, never will. Several on here have had positive experiences with the Brand however. Personally I would pick up a used Springfield as an "entry level" 1911 unless of course you want something specific from RIA

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had good luck with mine, but I did send it back to have the feed ramp polished because it didn't like to feed hollowpoints. Other than that, it ran fine. I wound up selling it and getting a used Springfield Loaded though.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had the double stack 9mm/22tcm combo model. I can say the only issue I ever had was one 22TCM round that didn’t extract from the barrel and we had to tap the brass out with a dowel. I probably put 3-400 22TCMs through it. I never tried the 9mm barrel, I bought it because it held like 18 rounds of 22TCM.

Awesome concept for a round. Middling consistency of the quality of the ammo, ultimately why I sold it. Other than that one hiccup above, it ran without issue. It wasn’t as tight as my Range Officer was, but I paid several hundred less for the Rock as well.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I have had mine for about 5 years now. Bought it as a range gun, shoots ball rounds with no issues. I wanted a WW2 copy and changed a couple parts with Colt parts. Dropped in, and no issues. It can do home defense, and do carry on occasion.
    Mine has a Series 70 type action, smooth and Condition 3 is only way to carry. It will shoot HPs, and Wilson Mags work well. Even cheap 1911- 7 rounders do well. The barrel link got ovalled out, and my Uncle found a Colt one we installed. Again, no issue. I probably lucked out with a good gun, but its simple and works for me. Finish is a little rough, but its a range piece.

I had Kimbers, Springfields, Colts, Auto Ordnance before. Its all based on your desires. Good luck!

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I picked up a NIB Citadel compact (made by Rock Island) as a "tinker with/project" gun. My original intent was to use it to learn how to make a 3.5" 1911 run reliably, then buy a Colt Officers model and make it CCW reliable. I figured the little "island" gun was a cheap learning tool (I paid $350 for it NIB off of GB)

The problem I'm having is that this pistol runs like a top out of the box. Nice tight lock-up, feed everything I've put through out of every magazine I have. I can't really justify working on something that isn't broke. So, I'm going to shoot the snot out of it until I break it:). This is the 2nd Citadel that I have owned and neither of them had any issues out of the box. I would not hesitate to get another one if I was in the market for an inexpensive shooter.

Having said all of that, these pistols are in no way comparable to a Colt or a Kimber or even Springfield (I've owed several of each of these brands and prefer Colt over the others). BUT.......you can find a new Rock Island for about 1/2 the price of something else if you look hard enough.

Bottom line, it's all about what you are going to use it for and what you want to spend.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Bought one years ago and it still runs fine. Not nearly as tight and precise as some of the later 1911's I acquired but it fires every time. I use Chip McCormick 8 round mags. A few years ago I won some free Wilson Combat parts that went into it. WC beavertail, hammer and sear spring. Never had an issue with any ammo I ran through it.

Mike

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I have a tactical model & like it. I’ve had it for 10 years & have no complaints. It’s in my hunting carry rotation. I think they are excellent for the price.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I've shot my 22TCM/9MM quite a bit with both barrels without issue functionally. Only problem I had was the rear sight came apart but Armscor sent me a RA and it came back good as new in about a week. 9MM barrel feeds anything and is completely reliable.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Good friend bought the GI looking one after he shot my old remington. He brings it everytime we shoot. Has been great every time.
    The trend ive noticed is guys who have invested lots of money into 1911's hate the rock island.
    The finish does SUCK.
    Do with that information what you will.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They have stepped up their game in the last couple of years.
    I have been inside a lot of them and I will never own one.
    If that is in your budget and gets you into the platform go get one.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have had mine for about 5 years now. Bought it as a range gun, shoots ball rounds with no issues. I wanted a WW2 copy and changed a couple parts with Colt parts. Dropped in, and no issues. It can do home defense, and do carry on occasion.
    Mine has a Series 70 type action, smooth and Condition 3 is only way to carry

Please elaborate? Condition 3 is the only way to carry?

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Please elaborate? Condition 3 is the only way to carry?

That person is concerned with a series 70 pistol firing if dropped. Tons of "discussion" on that topic. So no round in the chamber for that poster.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    You 100% can carry on a loaded chamber.. did it for a couple years. Jumping up and down off my truck bed loading pallets. Wrecked a bike.
    no unintentional booms.
    I shot a 9mm RI tactical that belonged to a range officer at precision gun range. Seemed nice, accurate.
    FINISH SUCKED.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a Rock Island Compact in .45. It was a reliable gun and as long as I kept up with the recoil spring change, which is shorter with all little 1911s, it ran just fine. I was not crazy about the finish and it was rough inside, but the dang thing worked.

I’ve moved up to Dan Wesson’s mostly now with a couple of Colts in the mix but still have good memories of the Rock Island Compact. It was worth every bit of the $450 I spent on it back then.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good friend bought the GI looking one after he shot my old remington. He brings it everytime we shoot. Has been great every time.
    The trend ive noticed is guys who have invested lots of money into 1911's hate the rock island.
    The finish does SUCK.
    Do with that information what you will.

Guys that put big money into high end 1911s appreciate craftsmanship. As much as I liked the RI, I’d never consider it a stellar piece of craftsmanship.

Top Bottom