• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have been on a revolver kick lately ( picked up a 4 and 6 inch GP100 and an SP101) But the more I handled them I didn't like the heavy Double action trigger pull. Started doing research, Ordered some parts and waited for the right time. Well since it is so cold out I decided to start working one of them over.
    I did some polishing, added some hammer and trigger shims, lapped the crown and boy was I surprised after reassembly. I went from a 10.2 lb double action to a 5.5 lb double action.

I can not wait to get to the range and try it out. Amazing what we find to do on a cold day isn't it?

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    That's amazing. I honestly didn't realize you could make a DA revolver lower than, oh, 8lbs.

Let us know how it shoots, hopefully there aren't any issues!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That is amazing! Five and a half pound double action trigger? Dang. Not to be a negative Nelly, but taking that much off the trigger I would be worried about light primer strikes. I'm not a revolver expert or a gunsmith, but that is a truly impressive reduction in trigger pull. I'm curious to hear how they perform when you next go to the range.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Didnt take anything off the trigger. The only thing that was used was polishing compound and springs. I know better than to use a file or anything else. You can smooth up and make pretty but if you use a file you cant replace metal.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Didnt take anything off the trigger. The only thing that was used was polishing compound and springs. I know better than to use a file or anything else. You can smooth up and make pretty but if you use a file you cant replace metal.

I meant to say trigger pull, but knowing that nothing was filed makes it that much more impressive.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    If you massage them right, rugers can be really smooth. My 1708 GP100 needs a lot of work. A lot of material left in the action. Patience is key.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    At a 5 pound pull, I'm pretty sure this gun is not going to run reliably.

Sure it will. No dimensions were changed. I just made them mirror smooth and changed the spring from a 14 lb to a nine pound. First decent day I get Ill run a couple hundred rounds through it and verify. But I am confident in my work and where I learned this process.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Sure it will. No dimensions were changed. I just made them mirror smooth and changed the spring from a 14 lb to a nine pound. First decent day I get Ill run a couple hundred rounds through it and verify. But I am confident in my work and where I learned this process.
    I'm concerned just because pull weight is cut in half (sounds too good to be true), but I don't doubt anything except the 9lb spring. Even then I'm cautiously -optimistic-

If it works, I really really do want to know. And I wish you the best!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    place a 1/4 dowel rod @ 12-14" long in the barrel of a cocked unloaded gun ,and pull the trigger with the gun muzzle pointing at the ceiling ,when the trigger is pulled and the hammer falls the dowel rod should come within a foot of touching the ceiling if you are sitting on a chair .This will show if the F.P. strikes are hard enough to set off primers

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Looking forward to hearing how it does! I have a Manurhin MR73 (in my avatar) that has an adjustable trigger, and when fiddling with it, I adjusted it to the point where I was getting light strikes. Tightened it back up a little until I got reliable ignition. It's a wonderful trigger but I don't think it's as light at yours.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Marking for intetest. I have an SP101 that long ago I just decided to live with the DA pull. Quite curious to see how this turns out.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I understand that he is good but I prefer to do my own work and learn how to do it. I have several Armorers Certificates and have self taught myself on several other platforms. I don't use files or stones because then I risk changing dimensions. I have found that just a little time and polish gets the best results. I am a firm believer in knowing my firearms.

Top Bottom