• ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Gentlemen (and Ladies, of course!),

I picked up this Customized Colt Government model this past weekend and would like to know if anyone recognizes the custom work done on this piece.
    DOB on the pistol itself is 1980, it seems to be a standard Mk IV/Series 70 as the base gun. Whoever did the work is to be commended, the metal work alone is exquisite. Bobtailed, scallops to front and backstrap,extended beavertail w/memory bump, extended safety, all edges carry melted, bottom of slide on both sides beveled. Rails internally have been lightly built up to increase snugness, front of slide has been milled for a Hi-Power cut. Slide stop has been milled flat and recess milled for it on off side.
    Top of slide has been milled flat, barrel recrowned and it's topped off with a set of Warren tactical sights with a front tritium dovetail. Trigger pull is in the range of 3#, no creep and extremely crisp. Gun shoots my reloads into one ragged hole at 10 yds.

Dealer I got it from stated he had picked it up at the Indy show several months ago and he had no clue who had done the work. This is not some shadetree gunsmith here! Except for the black cerakote (I assume) finish, this thing is a work of art. Any info would be appreciated!

DSC00339(1).jpg

DSC00344(1).jpg

DSC00341(1).jpg

DSC00346(1).jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I picked up this Customized Colt Government model this past weekend and would like to know if anyone recognizes the custom work done on this piece.
    DOB on the pistol itself is 1980, it seems to be a standard Mk IV/Series 70 as the base gun. Whoever did the work is to be commended, the metal work alone is exquisite. Bobtailed, scallops to front and backstrap,extended beavertail w/memory bump, extended safety, all edges carry melted, bottom of slide on both sides beveled. Rails internally have been lightly built up to increase snugness, front of slide has been milled for a Hi-Power cut. Slide stop has been milled flat and recess milled for it on off side.
    Top of slide has been milled flat, barrel recrowned and it's topped off with a set of Warren tactical sights with a front tritium dovetail. Trigger pull is in the range of 3#, no creep and extremely crisp. Gun shoots my reloads into one ragged hole at 10 yds.

Dealer I got it from stated he had picked it up at the Indy show several months ago and he had no clue who had done the work. This is not some shadetree gunsmith here! Except for the black cerakote (I assume) finish, this thing is a work of art. Any info would be appreciated!

View attachment 74019

View attachment 74020

View attachment 74021

View attachment 74022

Churchmouse and/or AllenM may recognize the work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

View attachment 74019

View attachment 74020

View attachment 74021

View attachment 74022

Better pics would be a real plus.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Partyboy686 had one that looked vaguely familiar to that one but pics are to dark to say for sure.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    After looking all over the web, I think I've decided that this is not a local build. It appears to be an early Ed Brown custom job. The snakeskin front and backstrap, double memory bump grip safety, bobtail, hi power and ball cuts on the slide, recessed slide stop cut and the flat top slide job all point to Ed Brown. He offers custom builds without his signature on the slide. If this is the case, I got a steal on the deal!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This looks like my old gun I sold around 8 months ago. If it is my old gun I had it for around 5 years. Daily carried it for all 5 years. I bought it off another INGO member who said he bought it off the original owner who had all the work done to it. The INGO member I bought it off of said Elmores Gun Store in Greenwood had something to do with all the custom work done on the gun. Here is a link to the for sale ad I posted on INGO. My ad shows VZ G10 grips but I included wood grips like you have on the gun in your pictures to the guy I sold it to.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...stom-bobtail-colt-mkiv-government-1911-a.html

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    partyboy6686 I think you've solved the mystery! This is indeed, that same weapon! Don't know why you let it go...but I'll sure hang on to it! New VZ grips are on the way for it right now.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It is a great gun. I got great usage out of it for 5 years. The original finish on the gun when I got it appeared to be blued. I wore a bunch of the finish off due to daily carrying it for 5 years in a leather holster. I had it cerakoted and the new sights installed a few month's before I sold it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is a great gun. I got great usage out of it for 5 years. The original finish on the gun when I got it appeared to be blued. I wore a bunch of the finish off due to daily carrying it for 5 years in a leather holster. I had it cerakoted and the new sights installed a few month's before I sold it.
    I believe I saw this one.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Cerakote seems to be holding up...don't know how many rounds it has over the past couple months. Few chips where the brass is hitting just behind the ejection port and a little bit of wear on the muzzle. other than that it looks fantastic! Still seems to be tight and grouping well. I'll get the new grips on and it'll be in my carry rotation, plus a few IDPA matches this coming year.

Top Bottom