Question about how to properly do a private sale.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Indiana
    I have a handgun I might consider selling soon, However I am unfamiliar with the process as it would be my first time.

I have been told I should ask to see the buyers license to carry/Indiana Drivers license and get a signed bill of sale.

What do I need to do with the bill of sale? do I need to send it to some alphabet government agency?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Its all up to you but all you technically need to do is verify 18 years old or older and is a Current Indiana resident. If you wish to do a bill of sale you can. They are readily available to print off the computer. Just google "firearm bill of sale" You would fill this out and keep for your personal records. You dont send to any alphabet agencies. It is merely to make a seller feel better and have a paper trail as to whom they sold the firearm to. However this is not required by law. Some like to see the buyers LTCH. Gives the seller more peace of mind that buyer is a proper person. Once again, not required. You could also meet buyer at a ffl and have the firearm transferred to them. Its all up to you and what your comfortable with.

All that is required by law is that you sell to a Indiana resident, 18 years of age or older, and you have no knowledge of them being a prohibited person.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    ^^^ Beat me to it, and said a little better than I did.

It's not required to get a bill of sale. You don't send anything to anyone. You do not need to get a copy of the other persons info either. It's not actually required to see it either, the reason it's recommended is because it's illegal to sell a handgun to someone out of state unless it's through an FFL. Seeing a DL is a decent way to determine the person is a resident of your state. The LTCH shows that the person isn't a prohibited person (as best as us common citizens can at least).

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The minimum requirements in Indiana for person-to-person sales are that you must:
    1- Sell to an Indiana resident
    2- They must be 18 years old
    3- You have no reason to believe that they are a prohibited person

Due to these requirements, many ask to see an IN drivers license and an IN License to Carry Handgun (LTCH). Technically, these are not required, but those people are trying to both follow the law and keep their firearms out of the wrong hands.

Some here (a smallish number) will also require a bill of sale. That will turn off some buyers/sellers, so you would reduce your pool of buyers/sellers. It is used to keep a paper trail in case there is a problem with the firearm. Even if there is, the worst that could theoretically happen was that a gun trace led to you and you have to explain that you sold it.

There is no reporting to any agency. Just do your best to follow the legal requirements and you'll be fine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bill of sale is totally up to the seller/buyer's discretion.

Personally, as a buyer on a private sale, I would likely NOT be inclined to sign a bill of sale. It's not legally required and I'm not inclined to give up personal information unnecessarily.

I never say never, but I'll wait for the next seller or go to a gun store, if I choose to fill out forms or sign anything. If you have something really unique and or a crazy good price, I'd consider signing a bill of sale.

I would not want to be surprised at a meeting to trade with a bill of sale. You should point your requirements up front. I'm happy to flash my LTCH and ID as long as they are not to be recorded or photographed.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I forgot to mention this.

Whatever you would like to see or record as far as the sale goes, be upfront with the buyer. Let them know ahead of time your requirements for the sale. Whether it be just seeing an id to verify indiana resident, sign a bill of sale, see a ltch, or go thru ffl, be up front before you meet.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I agree with the above but will add, I have sold several guns via this forum over the years. I have always mentioned in my ad, that I want to see an IN DL and LTCH, handgun or long gun, I don't care. I will provide a receipt for the buyer as well as keep one for myself. It's just a matter of personal comfort for me.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    It may not be as good as a bill of sale, but my email, text, and PM trail are likely to serve of some use in the event I need to show that a transaction took place, assuming the sale was initially arranged electronically.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I recommend wearing pants when meeting up for private sales. It can weird out the general public when 2 dudes are handling each others guns and neither are wearing pants.....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I recommend wearing pants when meeting up for private sales. It can weird out the general public when 2 dudes are handling each others guns and neither are wearing pants.....

Better idea: Next time we meet at a Turkish bath; then it won't seem weird to be sans-pants.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have people feel out a questionnaire, submit fingerprints, etc. You can't be too careful. Oh, taking pictures of the person and their drivers license is another good one.

Top Bottom