• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Colt Cobra .38 from a member here last evening from the Classifieds here (that I check daily).
    He was a total pleasure to talk with and new everyone that I'd ever read their post here.
    The profile of ownership was perfect for I look for other than since it was a newer Colt Cobra I had to spend a little more than I usually do.
    I had one in my hand months ago at Hoosier Armory in Noblesville where I have bought new and used guns before and wanted the Colt Cobra but since I had a Ruger Security Six I'd bought for $425 that I loved, I wasn't going to pay alot more for the Colt.

I just had to try one out. The trigger was smoother. In fact, I shot it better in D/A than in S/A, which is a puzzlement to me.

It was humbling to shoot the revolvers with the .38 rounds with the .367 being even more humbling yet.
    I'm quite accustomed to shooting the calmer 9mm and it shows.

1st, the Colt and Ruger at 20' using SA and DA.
    Colt on the top with the Ruger on the bottom.
    In SA the Ruger had 3 red shots while the Colt only had 1 red shot.
    But, in DA, no contest, with the Colt doing better in DA that SA, which is puzzling.
    The Ruger was way high and right (need some sight adjustment).
    vZ7QecS.jpg

The Colt at 30'. Head shots using SA and torso using DA.

sLpEGqR.jpg

Ruger at 30'. SA head shots and DA torso shots.
    Colt does better.
    LWfvTmx.jpg

40' with Colt on the right and the Ruger on the left.
    Again, the Colt does better in DA: amazing to me!
    I believe the sights need some adjustment on the Ruger: to say the least.
    9UyV894.jpg

Same pic as above with the bottom row of targets being used by the Ruger using .357 rounds (Fiocchi ammo).
    In single action it does much better with the .357 rounds rather than using .38 specials.
    DNEJvQX.jpg

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    You’re about to talk me into buying a colt revolver. I saw at shot show this year colt is releasing their king cobra (357) again, I think I’m going to wait for them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You’re about to talk me into buying a colt revolver. I saw at shot show this year colt is releasing their king cobra (357) again, I think I’m going to wait for them.

1. Someone told me just the same thing yesterday. I think it was the guy from here who bought my Ruger Officer 1911 9mm, but perhaps another.
    2. I am totally happy with the smaller Colt (smaller than the Ruger Security Six), and it's not that I enjoy shooting it over my 9mm either, but I love a revolver to carry (the Ruger LCR) and now if I have room for a larger: the Colt.
    3. I fancy I might see about getting a holster for it just to leave my options open.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was admiring that Colt in the classifieds. Looks like a nice shooter.

1. The seller got me excited about the trigger, as he and his friend that shot it, were very pleased with it.
    2. When I dry fired it in his truck, I knew the DA was going to be sweet.
    3. I am puzzled as to why I'm firing the SA less accurate than in DA. :scratch:
    4. For its intended purpose of a house gun and infrequent CC (if I get a holster for it) a smooth DA is enough, but I will work on the SA at the range occasionally.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Congradulations!
    You have a very nice revolver.
    I have the same gun, unfired, that I gave $20 for in a raffle.

I can't quite bring myself to fire it yet.
    It's such a pretty gun I don't want to carry it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congradulations!
    You have a very nice revolver.
    I have the same gun, unfired, that I gave $20 for in a raffle.

I can't quite bring myself to fire it yet.
    It's such a pretty gun I don't want to carry it.

1. $20 in a raffle: sweeet! :thumbsup:
    2. I usually don't keep a gun long enough to mark it up, but my home protection and CC guns are not rotated too often, just my range guns.
    My intention every time I buy a CC/home protection gun: this is it, I'm done. But, I'm inexperienced and my reading and testimonials here get me to expand my "need" list. :dunno:
    3. The Colt is to replace my Ruger Security Six .357/.38 which main purpose is a home protection gun.
    4. I am doing some serious trimming with my range guns in 9mm (got rid of all other calibers except for .22LR): just the Shadow 2 (being upgraded a little by the Wizard which I said I'd never do but it is my last hurrah), and the Bersa Thunder Pro XT.
    In retirement even one of them will have to go, but I'm in denial about that while still working: we'll see if they both survive for over a year in retirement (starts June 15, 2019).
    3. I don't CC much anyway since work forbids it, so just on weekends unless I go somewhere in the evening and usually I don't.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    3. I am puzzled as to why I'm firing the SA less accurate than in DA. :scratch:

Leave an empty chamber or have some one else do so and then shoot. See if you are flinching or nose diving the gun when in SA. It will be most noticeable on that empty chamber.
    Most folks have more trouble in DA as you understand, but it could be you are concentrating more in DA, and or the DA trigger pull is so good that it really is somewhat of a surprise when the trigger breaks and you don't anticipate and flinch, like may be happening in SA.

Just a thought.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Leave an empty chamber or have some one else do so and then shoot. See if you are flinching or nose diving the gun when in SA. It will be most noticeable on that empty chamber.
    Most folks have more trouble in DA as you understand, but it could be you are concentrating more in DA, and or the DA trigger pull is so good that it really is somewhat of a surprise when the trigger breaks and you don't anticipate and flinch, like may be happening in SA.

Just a thought.

1. Makes sense, and I thought that would explain my first cylinder, but on ensuing cylinders I really did try to concentrate and do what you are saying, but I'll have to try that technique next time out.
    2. I have seen that happen exactly as you describe, and it is quite a shock to see yourself pulling the gun even before the hammer comes down when dry firing.
    3. I'm sure I'm guilty. :(

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Thank you doddg for sharing the information and the pics. Your thoughtful recounting is interesting and helpful for the rest of us!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Sorry, since the pic was in the classifieds here, I never thought about posting one.
    I tried posting a pic by copying it from the classifieds, but copying and pasting a pic from one here already on INGO sometimes works and sometimes not.
    There should be 2 pics now: one from going through Imgur and one just copying and pasting from INGO.
    Let me know if there are two if you would.

Fa2AUmb.jpg

FA1yuUM.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That’s a nice looking Colt. Glad you let loose of your LCR .357.

1. I thought of you today and wondered if you've found out how much better the trigger and recoil is, but I guess it depends on if you have been shooting any small J frame .38 or .357 rounds lately. After buying the Colt, I now have to let my Ruger Security Six loose.

Thank you doddg for sharing the information and the pics. Your thoughtful recounting is interesting and helpful for the rest of us!

2. I love doing so (the school teacher in me I suppose), and usually noone is paying much attention b/c it is just boring .22LR semi-auto or a 9mm that every already has (I'm playing catch up). :dunno:
    3. It is fun to buy a fairly current gun and report on it that others are actually interested in.
    4. Of course Colt is going to pay me 10% commission fee if you buy one and let them know I referred you. :rofl:
    5. Yes, that was my dry humor. They are only giving me 2%. :laugh:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    AlreDy have about 250 rds of 38 158 wadcutters and .357 158 JHP. Runs like a champ. I did add an XS std dot night sight from my previous LCR and a pachmayr G10 grip. Really enjoying it, nice “around the house gun”

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That’s a nice looking Colt. Glad you let loose of your LCR .357.

AlreDy have about 250 rds of 38 158 wadcutters and .357 158 JHP. Runners JG like a champ. I did add an XS std dot night sight from my previous LCR and a pachmayr G10 grip. Really enjoying it, nice “around the house gun”

1. Nice to see someone take a perfectly good stock gun and take it up another notch! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom