• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ran across a new-in-the box Ruger LC9s Sunday pm here in the Classifieds and for the $180 price, I thought: why not?
    It is virtually the same size.
    It has a safety on it, which is paramount for me, so I can carry one in the chamber, it being a 7+1.
    The Sig 365 does not have a safety, so I do not carry one in the chamber, but has the 12 round magazine.
    The Sig I bought at Rural King from a tip here on INGO (1.5 hrs. away) and 365 cost me $500 + $35 tax + $50 12 round magazine = $585 (3x more).
    It does not have a safety, so when the Sig 365 gets one (rumored at the Shot Show), I will sell mine and buy one with the safety.

The sights are just plain, and I need to put some red paint on the front sight with some white on the rear maybe.
    I'll be able to shoot better with it when I can see something. :dunno:

I put some rounds through the never-shot Ruger and there was no issue.
    I took it apart to lube up a little and I could see it had a little lube from the factory on the rails.

12' range pic Ruger does OK against the 365, but of course the Sig gets more in the red/orange: 13:8.
    OSKBJdV.jpg

20' at the range. Ruger does OK again against the 365, with the Sig getting more in the red/orange: 11:8.
    I9gcoIs.jpg

Amazingly, the height of the Ruger LC9s with its 7 round magazine and the Sig 365 with its 12 round magazine are samish.
    Front view with Sig on the right.
    wuO6JFF.jpg

Rear view. Guess which one is LC9s? the 365?
    BXcZXU3.jpg

Z
    convert
    2Q==

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    One of my daughter's boyfriends worked at a lgs and changed carry guns like I change my knickers. But, if I worked in a gun shop, I might do the same thing. He had one of those little Rugers for quite a few months, and I really liked it. Dependable, easily concealed, good shooter. At the price you bought yours for, it's a no brainer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One of my daughter's boyfriends worked at a lgs and changed carry guns like I change my knickers. But, if I worked in a gun shop, I might do the same thing. He had one of those little Rugers for quite a few months, and I really liked it. Dependable, easily concealed, good shooter. At the price you bought yours for, it's a no brainer.

1. Yes, I was just doing my usual daily look. I had just finished off my ad for my Ruger Security Six (which sold in about 30 minutes), and I stumbled on it.
    2. There is another on Armslist just like it for $250, and I would not have even paid any attention to it, but $180, here from someone I knew and had bought my Ruger Officer 1911 9mm from: it was a no-brainer!
    3. I enjoyed shooting it (always fun to shoot a new gun), especially comparing it with another (Sig 365) like I enjoy doing.
    It takes my back to my beginnings when I had a small Ruger like this, and earlier model, don't even remember what it was.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have heard that the new safety for the P365 can be retrofitted to an existing unit.

Wouldn't surprise me. I just picked up a 365 that has a March build and the manuals, etc had already mentioned the safety and no safety versions, so sounds like it was planned for from the beginning.

Last edited:

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So what's the difference between the LC9 & EC9 (which is the model that he actually got)?

LC9 – (Light Carry 9mm) hammer fired with adjustable sights
    LC9s – (Light Carry 9mm striker) striker fired with adjustable sights
    EC9s – (Economy Carry 9mm striker) matt finish on the slide and milled sights. Comes with only one mag.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have heard that the new safety for the P365 can be retrofitted to an existing unit.

1. Sign me up! Sounds simpler that selling mine and buying another: depending on price.
    2. If it cost the same when buying new for safety or no safety, it would just be determined on how much it cost to get a safety installed.
    3. I would just buy a new one with the safety on it rather than install one on mine if the money was the same b/c I don't have but 400-500 rounds through it, maybe less, I don't remember.

Woulden't surprise me. I just picked up a 365 that has a March build and the manuals, etc had already mentioned the safety and no safety versions, so sounds like it was planned for from the beginning.

4. If I would have know that it was coming with a safety in the future (unlike Glocks that have no intention of having a safety b/c evidently real men don't need them :rofl:), I would have just held onto my Shield 9 and waited to buy the 365 with a safety.

So what's the difference between the LC9 & EC9 (which is the model that he actually got)?

5. My LC9s is a very basic one: sights have no color on them at all making it nearly impossible for me to see, but the 365, which has good sights (according to what I read), are still hard for me to see with b/c they are green and I've learned I need red on the front sight. (better than the Ruger with nothing, though)

The only difference I see in current photos and specs is that the LC9s has dovetailed sights.

6. Well, for a $180 gun, I'm just going to use my fluorescent gun sight paint to be able to see, but I am reluctant to do so incase it hurt my resale options.
    7. The guns I have sold with me having painted them, either didn't make a difference to them, or they really glad I went to the trouble.
    8. I always tell them in the ad that the paint can be taken off (as per directions) if they don't prefer it, but perhaps it limited the people interested: I'll never know since things I sell I priced so well (since I buy well) that they sell immediately anyway.
    9. I'll probably put paint on them regardless just for my own enjoyment and to see if it increases my accuracy with it.
    It is a 3 step process: white coat first, then two red coats on top of it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it back to the range to see it the 9 round mag gave me better purchase leading to better shots than the 7 round mag.
    You can be the judge, but it seems the 9 round mag's longer grip gave just a tad better accuracy, but not enough to warrant the price tag, except you are getting 2 more rounds.

P2JmsPZ.jpg

Last edited:

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    That looks like a 9-round magazine in your first comparison picture. I've been struggling with my practical side in that I'm really interested in a 365 but I already have a LC9S with two each, 7 and 9-round mags. It has 10-round capacity with the larger mag AND I shoot it very well. I can't ask anything more from a 9mm pocket pistol (in a Desantis holster). I can't rationalize paying double for the Sig but I'm still interested.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That looks like a 9-round magazine in your first comparison picture. I've been struggling with my practical side in that I'm really interested in a 365 but I already have a LC9S with two each, 7 and 9-round mags. It has 10-round capacity with the larger mag AND I shoot it very well. I can't ask anything more from a 9mm pocket pistol (in a Desantis holster). I can't rationalize paying double for the Sig but I'm still interested.

1. You are speaking my language!
    2. I went from a Shield 9 with 7 and 8 round mags ($280, used) and went up to the Sig 365 which I had $585 in it after getting the 12 round mag I NEEDED. :lmfao:
    3. What made me lose control was that the 365 shot soooo much more accurately than my Shield 9, and nearly as good as other bigger 9mms that I had at the time (I really was blown away the first time I shot it, comparing it to the Shield 9.
    4. If there would have been this LC9s available at the time with a 9 round mag I might have not stepped up to the Sig 365. :dunno:
    5. I just might have to get the 9 round mag, but they cost a little change (certainly not as much as the $50 Sig 12 rounder), but I suppose when/if I sell the LC9s I can pass the price along since I bought it right, and it will have nicely painted fluorescent sights. :laugh:

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    That’s a great price for a great little firearm! I’ve had an LC9s for a couple of years now and it’s been a great pistol. I added a Talon rubber grip and it really improved my grip on the pistol. For less than $20, the grip was money well spent.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    I like me lc9s for what it is. I got it on sale at rural king for 219 brand new on sale a few years ago. I have a sig p230 as well and tend to like it better but the ruger is not that far behind. I’m pretty much in the same boat. The sig shoots better and I like it better but for the price I paid I don’t think there is enough of a difference to say the ruger is not worth buying. It functions reasonably well and is half the price of my sig, even more now.I think I might have to try this test out sometime just to see what the results would be. Looks like a lot of fun.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    1. You are speaking my language!
    2. I went from a Shield 9 with 7 and 8 round mags ($280, used) and went up to the Sig 365 which I had $585 in it after getting the 12 round mag I NEEDED. :lmfao:
    3. What made me lose control was that the 365 shot soooo much more accurately than my Shield 9, and nearly as good as other bigger 9mms that I had at the time (I really was blown away the first time I shot it, comparing it to the Shield 9.
    4. If there would have been this LC9s available at the time with a 9 round mag I might have not stepped up to the Sig 365. :dunno:
    5. I just might have to get the 9 round mag, but they cost a little change (certainly not as much as the $50 Sig 12 rounder), but I suppose when/if I sell the LC9s I can pass the price along since I bought it right, and it will have nicely painted fluorescent sights. :laugh:

Are you sure that you don't already have a 9 round magazine? The mag in your gun in that first pic sure looks like a 9 rounder! Many people have complained that it's tough to get the last couple of rounds in them but I use an Uplula and don't have any trouble. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. In any case, you got a smoking deal :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you sure that you don't already have a 9 round magazine? The mag in your gun in that first pic sure looks like a 9 rounder! Many people have complained that it's tough to get the last couple of rounds in them but I use an Uplula and don't have any trouble. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. In any case, you got a smoking deal :yesway:

1. In the gun case was a regular base plate and then the "pinky" extension base plate that is on the magazine.
    2. It had the number "7" on the magazine, so it wouldn't be the 9 rounder.
    3. I actually didn't have my Maglula UpLULA Magazine Speed Loader with me, so I did have to load by hand, so I will try to get another round in, but the guy I bought it off of is really gun savvy and would have put it in the ad.
    4. Thanks for the heads-up incase I would have gotten really lucky! :thumbsup:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I believe the Wizard had brought an LC9S that he'd worked on to our last group shoot and I was amazed at how much I liked it. Ironically I shot it better than pretty much anything else I shot that day, which said a lot due to the number of truly awesome guns that were there.

doddg, I'll say this about the safety issue you have, when you have carried for longer you may realize that the only external safety you need is your trigger finger in conjunction with your brain. If you handle a gun safely, there's no need for an external safety in order to be safe. Plus an external safety is one more thing to possibly go wrong in a SHTF moment. I used to insist on an external safety, but I'm perfectly happy and safe carrying my gun, with one in the chamber, in a striker fired gun with no external safety. You have to do what you have to do to feel safe, but you may also change your mind down the road. Either way, to each their own ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I believe the Wizard had brought an LC9S that he'd worked on to our last group shoot and I was amazed at how much I liked it. Ironically I shot it better than pretty much anything else I shot that day, which said a lot due to the number of truly awesome guns that were there.

1. Now that is amazing! I would have never figured the mighty and powerful Wizard of CZ fame would mess around with a lowly LC9s: just shows you he likes to have fun with his skills. I spent time with him at the range when I was delivering my Shadow 2 for him to do some minor tweaking (because I'm to cheap to go "whole-hog" with it) and found him to be a great guy to spend time with.

doddg, I'll say this about the safety issue you have, when you have carried for longer you may realize that the only external safety you need is your trigger finger in conjunction with your brain. If you handle a gun safely, there's no need for an external safety in order to be safe. Plus an external safety is one more thing to possibly go wrong in a SHTF moment. I used to insist on an external safety, but I'm perfectly happy and safe carrying my gun, with one in the chamber, in a striker fired gun with no external safety. You have to do what you have to do to feel safe, but you may also change your mind down the road. Either way, to each their own ;)

2. I appreciate your input: truly. :thumbsup: I have been told of the error of my ways before about the safety issue, and I don't mind at all, and you do so w/o judgement, giving me grace b/c of my inexperience. :)
    3. I wonder if I will grow into not being bothered by the safety issue: I do carry the Sig 365 w/o much concern but only b/c I have an appropriate holster which guards the trigger, but I don't carry it in my DeSanti Superfly pocket holster b/c pulling it out of my pocket w/o a safety on it gives me pause of pulling it out of my pocket would accidentally pull the trigger in a scary hurried moment.
    4. I am totally aware of the warning that in a SHTF moment, a safety could confuse.
    This is one of the reasons when I'm shooting at the range I will engage the safety while loading my mags, just to practice disengaging it before shooting: just for the muscle memory (and, many times when I go to shoot that 1st shot, I forget to take the safety off, which I think adds to your point and warning in real-world application). :ugh:
    5. There is a reason I feel like this, and my fear and respect for a loaded weapon is very real.
    Decades ago I had a friend shoot himself in the leg, and another discharge a gun in the house accidentally b/c of handling guns w/o the safety on that were loaded.
    I took grave notice b/c these guys were much more experienced than myself and so I thought: KEEP THE SAFETY ON!
    6. It is one of the minor reasons I prefer a revolver but a major reason I prefer a DA/SA to "wear" wrapped around my flesh.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Like I said, you gotta do what you gotta do. Take some training classes and you'll do in practice what you do in training. If you train with an instructor who knows what he's talking about, you'll be all the safer for it.

I try not to be judgemental. Everyone is different. There are universal rules for handling guns, but everyone has to interpret them in a manner they are comfortable with. We all have our own internal truths for things that we go by. As long as what you do makes sense to you and doesn't hurt anyone else, I'm okay with it, even if it's different from what I do. If you train with an external safety enough, it's unlikely you'll ever have an issue with it.

Top Bottom