Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Thank you!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. I really appreciate it.

User Info Menu

After doing some more research, I am starting to get the impression that the general thought is that with no import marks or Italian proof marks, and by the "B" in the serial number but no "Z" at the end it is in fact a made in Brazil by Beretta pistol.

Italian made for export use frames had a Z stamped after the serial number. There are many made in USA 92FS that have the Z after a Beretta USA made pistol.

Because there is no "Z" and the "B" at the beginning I am pretty sure it is a made in Brazil by Beretta in the mid 1970s before they sold the plant to Taurus. Like the USA, pistols made for the Brazil military must be made in Brazil which is why the factory was built.

Now how it got into the USA without an import stamp is another question.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Fascinating! Thank you!

Plinker

User Info Menu

It has been my understanding that all firearms made in Italy since late 1923 had to be tested (proofed) at the Government Proof House, which then stamped the firearm with a proof mark and a date code indicating the year it was proofed. The proof marks on the Italian made Beretta 92FS and Beretta Cougar 8045 that I have are on the right side of the frame, above the trigger and trigger guard, and below and in front of the front end of the trigger bar. I assume that earlier Beretta models made in Italy had proof marks in the same location.

User Info Menu

A complete firearm from Italy has to be proofed but Beretta ships the bare frames to be then constructed in other countries. For the US as an example, the bare frame gets the serial number for the USA on it with the "Z" after the numbers indicating the frame was from Italy. The serial numbered frame would then be assembled into the full pistol in the USA and as such would have a serial number of BERxxxxxxZ. It would be stamped MADE IN USA and obviously have no import markings. If the frame was USA made the serial number would be BERxxxxxx. It too would be marked as MADE IN USA and then sold.

If the frame was assembled into a pistol in Italy, the serial number would have a letter ahead of the digits with no letter afterwards, as in Lxxxxxx. It then would be fully proof tested and marked, then marked as MADE IN ITALY, shipped to their USA importer which would then add their import rollmark.

With the Brazil pistol, since there is no "Z" after the serial number and no proof marks, it can be assumed it was made in the Brazil factory using all Brazil parts.

I have an Italian made first gen 92 that does have the proof marks, is marked MADE IN ITALY, and has the Beretta "Berben" import marking.

User Info Menu

Beretta-92-chart01.jpg

hope this helps

User Info Menu

That is a very cool looking pistol. It just seems very sleek and simple and less “bulky” than, say, a newer 92 FS. I personally love the “weird” location of the mag release. Overall you gotta love Italian industrial design.
    If you always do what you've always done you will only get what you've always gotten.

Plinker

User Info Menu

pblanc - thank you. This pistol does not have any markings on it with the exception of the serial number and some very tiny marks on the barrel. I posted 2 additional pics yesterday.

Plinker

User Info Menu

indykid - thank you again!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast