• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDpolo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 12, 2018
    Zionsville
    Hello. I’m looking for advice here. I have this older Beretta 92. It has a frame mounted safety and mag release is on the heel of the grip. I’m told that this could be a very early production model since the serial number is less than 2000. However, I called Beretta and they cannot give me any information because apparently they didn’t start keeping archives until the mid-1980s.
    I guess I’m looking for advice as to what do I have and is it something special. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have no clue, but it is cool. Not knowing what I'm talking about, just general interest, I personally would pay a 10-15% premium over a similar condition 92fs. Once again, I have no clue what im talking about, this is solely from a novice buyers perspective.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As a long time collector of the 92 series I can tell you that you have a model 92. The first generation of the series. There was an earlier version that had a step sided slide, but still a 92 no letter following.

The Pachmayr grip is not original, and I am guessing the other side of the pistol (ejection side) had no markings. If you remove the grip, you might find it was made in Brazil. Beretta went to Brazil initially to open up a production factory there, and they brought some 92 there as demo items. I believe that those produced for sale to the public had the "B" in front of the serial number. Again, not all were made in Brazil, but I have not seen import markings on the early 92 with the blank right side.

There were later ones imported into the USA through Berben importer, a facility of Beretta. They would not only have the import markings but the Italian export stamps on the right side.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Putting this in a separate post to add that yes you do have a very special pistol as not many of the early model "92" were imported and unfortunately as you found, Beretta didn't keep good records at that time.

There were 4 versions of the original 92 that I have documented.

1 was the first version with the step-side.
    2 was what I believe a demo version without the "B" on the serial number, no import or export markings, and no country of origin.
    3 was yours, with the "B" serial number, with no export markings, blank right side and possibly a Made in Brazil under the grip panel.
    4 was a true USA import model with importation markings on the right side of the slide, and Italian proof marks on the frame.

Yours looks to be in great condition and to a collector is a highly desirable model. Unfortunately many people removed the original grips and installed the Pachmayr grips. Originals are near impossible to find, but not having them doesn't really hurt the value that much.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Just being inquisitive.
    I could find only one reference for a value for a lnib on glock talk. Between this and indykid's insight, it looks like you got yourself something special. Way cool. Looks to be the original design. Changed to conform with contact requirements. Percurser to the 92s and m9?

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Per Wikipedia, the Beretta 92 was introduced in May 1976 and production ceased in Feb 1983, although I believe the Beretta 92 was actually first unveiled in 1975. The first 7,000 or so produced were of the "step slide" design in which the slide made a distinct step-down in thickness right around the front end of the trigger guard. The last 45,000 were of the straight slide design, like yours. The Brazilian Army was the first large organization to test the Beretta 92 prototype and adopted the 92 for its military. A factory was set up in Sao Paulo, Brazil to produce Beretta 92s to fulfill a large contract for the Brazilian Army that had been placed in 1974. That factory was later sold to Taurus in 1980 after the contract expired and was used to manufacture Taurus PT92s, as well as other models based on the Beretta design.

The "step-slide" Beretta 92s are quite rare and I believe they command a premium price. I am not sure what a straight-slide Beretta 92 would fetch.

Here is a site that describes the evolution of the Beretta 92 series of pistols:

Beretta Web - 92FS 15 years of evolution and success

MDpolo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 12, 2018
    Zionsville
    Hello and thank you! It does have a “B” in front of the serial number. No other markings anywhere. I removed the grips and there are no markings there either.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    After doing some more research, I am starting to get the impression that the general thought is that with no import marks or Italian proof marks, and by the "B" in the serial number but no "Z" at the end it is in fact a made in Brazil by Beretta pistol.

Italian made for export use frames had a Z stamped after the serial number. There are many made in USA 92FS that have the Z after a Beretta USA made pistol.

Because there is no "Z" and the "B" at the beginning I am pretty sure it is a made in Brazil by Beretta in the mid 1970s before they sold the plant to Taurus. Like the USA, pistols made for the Brazil military must be made in Brazil which is why the factory was built.

Now how it got into the USA without an import stamp is another question. ;)

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    It has been my understanding that all firearms made in Italy since late 1923 had to be tested (proofed) at the Government Proof House, which then stamped the firearm with a proof mark and a date code indicating the year it was proofed. The proof marks on the Italian made Beretta 92FS and Beretta Cougar 8045 that I have are on the right side of the frame, above the trigger and trigger guard, and below and in front of the front end of the trigger bar. I assume that earlier Beretta models made in Italy had proof marks in the same location.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A complete firearm from Italy has to be proofed but Beretta ships the bare frames to be then constructed in other countries. For the US as an example, the bare frame gets the serial number for the USA on it with the "Z" after the numbers indicating the frame was from Italy. The serial numbered frame would then be assembled into the full pistol in the USA and as such would have a serial number of BERxxxxxxZ. It would be stamped MADE IN USA and obviously have no import markings. If the frame was USA made the serial number would be BERxxxxxx. It too would be marked as MADE IN USA and then sold.

If the frame was assembled into a pistol in Italy, the serial number would have a letter ahead of the digits with no letter afterwards, as in Lxxxxxx. It then would be fully proof tested and marked, then marked as MADE IN ITALY, shipped to their USA importer which would then add their import rollmark.

With the Brazil pistol, since there is no "Z" after the serial number and no proof marks, it can be assumed it was made in the Brazil factory using all Brazil parts.

I have an Italian made first gen 92 that does have the proof marks, is marked MADE IN ITALY, and has the Beretta "Berben" import marking.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    That is a very cool looking pistol. It just seems very sleek and simple and less “bulky” than, say, a newer 92 FS. I personally love the “weird” location of the mag release. Overall you gotta love Italian industrial design.

MDpolo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 12, 2018
    Zionsville
    pblanc - thank you. This pistol does not have any markings on it with the exception of the serial number and some very tiny marks on the barrel. I posted 2 additional pics yesterday.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom