Eight hour P&S Modcast on nothing but 1911s-Amazing stuff here:)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Highly recommended watching!

[video=youtube_share;O_NrooMVMms]https://youtu.be/O_NrooMVMms[/video]

Video includes discussion of why expensive 1911s are expensive, magazines, spring rates, red dots, dust covers/dust cover rails, double-stack 1911s and double-stack 1911 magazines, and all manner of minutiae on making a pistol (especially a 1911) run as well as can be and why the 1911 is still relevant in 2019.

The video starts a little bit earlier than the actual ModCast proper and extends for about three hours after the ModCast proper is over (but the subject never strays far from the 1911).

Matt Landfair hosts, with shooter/instructors Steve Fisher (Sentinel Concepts) and Chuck Pressburg (Presscheck Consulting), and 1911 gunsmiths Joe Chambers (Chambers Custom), Dave Laubert (Defensive Creations, LLC), and AJ Zito (Practical Performance). Later on (about five hours in), they're joined by Tim Herron. And toward the end of those eight hours, they are still going, even when it's 3 and 5 in the morning for them... only to be cut off when Matt's internet connection cuts off.

On the topic of stuff, some of the takeaways were: Remington/Para 1911s of recent vintage are poor quality, Rugers SR1911s are recommended for those on a budget, with Dan Wesson and Nighthawk Custom for those who can spend more. You can reliably use 45 Auto magazines with 10mm and 40 and 38 Super magazines with 9mm. And apparently all plastic followers (like those used in some Wilson Combat magazines?) are problematical and magazine spring rates are not as critical to proper function as magazine manufacturers might want us to believe.

Oh: And full-size 9mm 1911s should have a 20-lb. mainspring and 13-lb. recoil spring (they cover more about mainspring and recoil spring weights/rates, balancing them, and selecting different firing pin stops based on cartridge and ammunition - but the bit about the 9mm was most important to me, because I'm wanting a reliable full-size 9mm 1911, so that's what I took from it).

I had to watch the video over the course of two days. Usually, Matt Landfair will take shorter sections, about ten minutes long or so, and post them up, and I eagerly await the shorter sections.

I'm curious to hear what others might have to add to the discussion they have in the video.

Enjoy!​

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    This was a good one, P&S is one of the better podcast's out there along with Ballistic Radio. And of course this podcast made me want a commander 1911 for some reason. Shew!

Top Bottom