• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    New to guns but I might already have the bug.
    Have only been shooting twice with my SP101 and bearcat, but thinking I might like a semi automatic.
    Thinking 9MM due to cost of ammo.
    I see that Glock is pretty much the "go to" for several great reasons, but at the risk of sounding silly I just don't find them visually attractive.
    I have been looking at the Ruger 1911.
    Not looking for a conceal carry or home defense piece. Just want to go shoot and have fun.
    Feedback?

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If you're looking to dip your toes into the 1911 world, Ruger is probably a good place to start, although the RIA's are nice, for the price. Personally I'd love to have a officer's 1911 in 9mm. If you can afford it, and it's what you want/like, buy it!!!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You'll want to go and shoot whatever you're considering. Find a friend(s) with many, or visit a store w/ a range that rents their wares. And don't let one handgun in a particular caliber scare you off that caliber in another handgun.

Different forms, different grips, different recoil and so on. You'll want to find something that is comfortable, easy to operate and shoots well in your hands.
    Lots of different hands out there and not every handgun fits in every hand.

Looks, then cost should be down low on the list of importance. You get what you pay for, and there are some deals to be had in this market.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    You came in at a great time. This is a buyer's market without a doubt. 1911s are great there's some deep knowledge with the platform in ingo. I wouldn't be dead set on a 1911, until you have handled multiple platforms. Of course just my :twocents: if you asked us for our favorite guns, everyone would have a different opinion, and reason. 90% of us with even a little experience wouldn't be able to pick one.

That being said, I have heard a lot of love for th sr1911 for a beginner level 1911. Another opinion. Would be to save your pennies and go for a dan wesson or s.a. trp

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We have a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. It's so much fun to shoot. The slide is real easy to work and recoil is so soft.

Rock Island and Ruger would be good also.

I'll throw this out there just because.......

......1911 in 10mm.

Nuf said.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    If you're considering full sized, steel-framed 9mms, you owe it to yourself to consider a few others - like JMB's other great design, the Hi Power. But yeah, a 1911 is a great choice for a range gun!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    From my limited knowledge, 1911's have a more natural grip angle. The triggers are better than striker fired pistols. And a heavier gun has less felt recoil. Oh and old guys love them.:fogey:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you want to test the waters before you commit to an expensive firearm, consider the Turkey-made 1911.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../Tisas/TISAS+Classic+1911-A1+45ACP+5+GI+BLACK

It is an economical firearm, but it works every time. It is a great entry level piece. Some will argue that it is a piece of junk, not worth the money, etc. Agreed, it is an economical piece. Nothing fancy, but a good learning tool—and it will not break the bank if you decide you want to go a different direction—like learning to use the AR or AK platforms.

They work. As per these comments.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/how-good-are-turkish-made-1911s.741555/

Even Hickok45 likes them.

https://binged.it/2GhtS7X

I have no dog in this fight. I do not own stock in the company. I just thought it was useful information for a new shooter.

Hope it is of value.

Top Bottom