• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Got into a discussion last week with a couple LGS employees which I consider very competent young men when it comes to firearms. They both load up a mag to full capacity, rack, and holster. I've always done full mag capacity +1. Their statement is 15rds(glock 19) is better than potential 1 shot then a stoppage. Reason being that top round in mag puts force underneath the slide when mag is full and with a potential dirty gun(we aren't always diligent with keeping are carry guns clean) the slide may slow down enough to cause a malfunction. I see the rationale but I'm not buying it. I have yet to see or hear of issues from quality handguns by running full mag +1. Is this one of those "it sounds like a credible possibility and we need to prep for a 'what if' situation", even though the likelihood of it happening is .000001%

Discuss....

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If one is carrying a gun which won’t run reliably topped off, I would suggest that they find a different gun. I top off.

I do download USGI A.R. 15 mags, and some other A.R. 15 mags, but that has more to do with seating than anything else.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Personally I will run full mag + 1 until I see a failure from it. Wouldn't competent manufacturers take an issue like this into account when designing stuff? In my limited experience I've never met anyone that said topping off caused a failure from them, only heard concerns about long term spring damage. I agree with Fargo, I only download if, when topped off, the mag won't seat against a closed bolt

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Got into a discussion last week with a couple LGS employees which I consider very competent young men when it comes to firearms. They both load up a mag to full capacity, rack, and holster. I've always done full mag capacity +1. Their statement is 15rds(glock 19) is better than potential 1 shot then a stoppage. Reason being that top round in mag puts force underneath the slide when mag is full and with a potential dirty gun(we aren't always diligent with keeping are carry guns clean) the slide may slow down enough to cause a malfunction. I see the rationale but I'm not buying it. I have yet to see or hear of issues from quality handguns by running full mag +1. Is this one of those "it sounds like a credible possibility and we need to prep for a 'what if' situation", even though the likelihood of it happening is .000001%

Discuss....

If topping-off and having 15+1 rounds in Glock 19 causes an issue, there is something wrong with the gun and/or the magazine.

Every instructor and teacher with whom I have trained - without exception - recommended a loaded chamber and a fully charged magazine as their preferred ready status in the holster.

It's probably not a huge issue if your mags hold 15-20 rounds, but if your carry gun only holds 5-8 rounds in the magazine, it's prudent to have it fully charged.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Discuss....

If they rack it up with a full mag from slide in battery then whats the issue here. Bravo Sierra.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I haven't even thought of downloading an option. This is actually the first time reading anything about it. :dunno:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The fun would have to be awefully dirty to not feed from a fully topped off magazine. Even my 1911's shooting single stack in USPSA run that way all the time with zero issues and if it's one thing I have learned from the internet is that my 1911's should be jamming no less than every other shot :rolleyes:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1911s - full mag +1 with an extra full mag.

Glock - full mag + 1 but my spare mag is downloaded by 1. I loaded the gun and popped in a full magazine. The now downloaded mag goes in the mag pouch. Did this because I found full Glock mags hard to seat. But in full disclosure I don’t carry Glocks anymore.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've always put in a full mag, rack, and go. With my Shield, it seems like it takes a lot of force to seat a full mag in the gun when the slide isn't open.
    Although I've done +1 at the range a few times and the gun hasn't ever jammed.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Barney up!

barney-fife-1.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    +1 like it’s supposed to be done in all sidearms they do not have the extra capacity to give up a round.

AR mags I usually download to 28 rounds to help with seating in a panic situation.

I have found that some people will invent issues and often regurgitate bad information in order to sound knowledgeable. The affected people with what I call the “Third a$&hole syndrome” seem to gather at LGS and ranges? The “gadget guy” is a close relative they will explain that your gear is completely outdated and that need to update immediately. That leads us to the “specification” guy that can tell you all about what twist of barrel that works the best ect. Blah blah blah!

I generally go with if it sounds stupid it probably is!
    Don’t overthink the situation get a good sight picture and squeeze the trigger or press it or what ever is the latest term.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Has anybody posted full mag +1? :D Smaller caliber semis can have issues feeding full mag +1. I know the Taurus PT-22 (a BUG's BUG, I know) won't feed full mag +1. Not topped off it runs fine. Seems like I heard the same thing about the PPK-S.

Top Bottom