Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

EDC: Full capacity +1 or chambered round and mag downloaded by 1

Got into a discussion last week with a couple LGS employees which I consider very competent young men when it comes to firearms. They both load up a mag to full capacity, rack, and holster. I've always done full mag capacity +1. Their statement is 15rds(glock 19) is better than potential 1 shot then a stoppage. Reason being that top round in mag puts force underneath the slide when mag is full and with a potential dirty gun(we aren't always diligent with keeping are carry guns clean) the slide may slow down enough to cause a malfunction. I see the rationale but I'm not buying it. I have yet to see or hear of issues from quality handguns by running full mag +1. Is this one of those "it sounds like a credible possibility and we need to prep for a 'what if' situation", even though the likelihood of it happening is .000001%

Discuss....

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

Iíve always run full capacity plus 1. Never an issue.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

User Info Menu

If one is carrying a gun which wonít run reliably topped off, I would suggest that they find a different gun. I top off.

I do download USGI A.R. 15 mags, and some other A.R. 15 mags, but that has more to do with seating than anything else.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Full capacity plus one. Tap rack is better on that incredibly small chance that a 100% chance of not having that extra round.

User Info Menu

Personally I will run full mag + 1 until I see a failure from it. Wouldn't competent manufacturers take an issue like this into account when designing stuff? In my limited experience I've never met anyone that said topping off caused a failure from them, only heard concerns about long term spring damage. I agree with Fargo, I only download if, when topped off, the mag won't seat against a closed bolt

User Info Menu

Full mag + 1, always.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post
    Got into a discussion last week with a couple LGS employees which I consider very competent young men when it comes to firearms. They both load up a mag to full capacity, rack, and holster. I've always done full mag capacity +1. Their statement is 15rds(glock 19) is better than potential 1 shot then a stoppage. Reason being that top round in mag puts force underneath the slide when mag is full and with a potential dirty gun(we aren't always diligent with keeping are carry guns clean) the slide may slow down enough to cause a malfunction. I see the rationale but I'm not buying it. I have yet to see or hear of issues from quality handguns by running full mag +1. Is this one of those "it sounds like a credible possibility and we need to prep for a 'what if' situation", even though the likelihood of it happening is .000001%

Discuss....

If topping-off and having 15+1 rounds in Glock 19 causes an issue, there is something wrong with the gun and/or the magazine.

Every instructor and teacher with whom I have trained - without exception - recommended a loaded chamber and a fully charged magazine as their preferred ready status in the holster.

It's probably not a huge issue if your mags hold 15-20 rounds, but if your carry gun only holds 5-8 rounds in the magazine, it's prudent to have it fully charged.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VUPDblue View Post
    Iíve always run full capacity plus 1. Never an issue.
    Bingo
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post

Discuss....
    If they rack it up with a full mag from slide in battery then whats the issue here. Bravo Sierra.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

I haven't even thought of downloading an option. This is actually the first time reading anything about it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast