• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    I recently purchased a ss valor. During the break in within the first 50 shots after being cleaned and heavily oiled it was running ok. Few times it wouldn't go into battery. Took it home cleaned it. figured it need something heavier to run on the rails since it was so tight.looked on their faq page and it recommends to run grease. Go out buy their recommended grease. Run about 35 it locks up.
    It's now looking like the metal has galled.
    They say they are just going to polish the rails and send it back. Should I ask for a new frame since this one might be improperly machined or heat treated? I dont like the idea of paying close to 2 grand for a 1911 that eats itself on light 10mm.
    20190207_170504.jpg 20190207_170504.jpg

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Their email
    Page 12 of your operators manual should read as follows…. SUPPLIES:

”We do not recommend the use of Rem oil, Break-free, Hoppe’s elite gun oil, Slip 2000, plus other various other thin gun oils or grease on the rails of our firearms

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Also I dont think that with the recommended dw grease that they could say that I caused the galling. I lubed it pretty heavy and followed their break in procedure making sure to clean after 50 rounds. I am extremely disappointed. I've never had such a tight 1911. But all the others ran like a top right off the bat all of them ss. I have sw1911 e series with over 4k no galling at all just running hoppes gun oil.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see complaints about their stainless guns galling too often on different forums. Supposedly they used to have a problem but then corrected it, but you keep seeing this type of thread pop up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see complaints about their stainless guns galling too often on different forums. Supposedly they used to have a problem but then corrected it, but you keep seeing this type of thread pop up.

Stainless 1911's.especially tight tolerance pieces....require special attention. I learned this the hard way from an experience not unlike this one. I use Permatex engine assembly lube on my stainless guns unless it will be ran in stupid cold conditions which I usually avoid with my stainless pistols. I have found it to be some of the slickest lube for this and it is moly based. Stays where you put it. Never another issue since.

That gun is hurt. It needs attention.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    yeah I haven't ever seen this much damage on any of my other stainless guns. I heard great things about dan Wesson,but this one seems like a lemon to me. I should be able to run just about any lubricant with their break in procedure. its only fifty rounds then cleaned and relubed. I just hope they will work with me to fix it rather than just band aid a bad frame. I never would've thought about assembly lube because I would
    think that it wouldn't be super tolerant of heat. but I do remember it retained it shape pretty well under pressure and also would hold on to metal very well.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    .also they say that all the parts are polished. you can tell by the pic that the rails still have a pretty rough cut from the planer. I believe that's why the metal galled. I don't think any kind of lube would've made a difference with that
    rough of a cut from the planer. You guys tell me I have some machining experience but will still be listed as a novice in the profession , but I still have a lot of experience with failed bearing and parts after working in maintenance for
    the last 15 years. I think that if it was lack of lube there would be a more linear looking damage rather than the radius look. it urksome they would imply it was me.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    also they say that all the parts are polished. you can tell by the pic that the rails still have a pretty rough cut from the planer. I believe that's why the metal galled.

The moly based lube I refer to is what some top fuel engine builders use. Thats how I came to use it and yes it can be punished.

That frame could be repaired but what damage has the slide received in all of this.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    I cant hardly see in there and I am also worried about that. do you have a suggestion so that I can inspect and maybe take pics. What do you think from the pic ? it looks like poor planing to me when they decked it.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    doesn't the frame rails look like it was poorly machined while it was decked while being planed. I think that added to the galling issue.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    well I have been contacting dan Wesson through the email support. Their gunsmith is pretty hell-bent that it was my fault. I will continue to update you guys throughout this fiasco. I appreciate your input. I will probably send out the gun tomorrow for repair.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    well I have been contacting dan Wesson through the email support. Their gunsmith is pretty hell-bent that it was my fault. I will continue to update you guys throughout this fiasco. I appreciate your input. I will probably send out the gun tomorrow for repair.

I hope for the best in this.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

I used to frequent 1911Forum.com and the head (or something high up) of DW was active on the DW sub-forum and often personally sorted things like this out for members.

I would try a PM or a phone call. He is Keith DW on the forum. https://forums.1911forum.com/member.php?u=19417

You may have to join the forum to view the link and send a PM.

Top Bottom