• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I know there are a few options out there for derringers with trigger guards ( Bond arms and Double Tap). Interested in seeing if there were options I am missing. Some of the Bond Arms options run in the 400-600 range ( for that kind of money there are plenty of options in the 2 inch revolver and pocket gun categories) and Double Tap isn’t a widely available line anymore.

Any feedback available would be appreciated.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why a derringer at all? They were mediocre when they were a new design, and I think that we should just admit that they are bad now.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I have came close to buying 1 here and there, price point is what keeps me from it personally. Idk if the original author is the same but to have something just to slip in your pocket (gym shorts, loose pajama pants) and still have a form of firearm protection was my reasoning.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    The idea of a couple extra rounds in a small configuration is what I’m interested in. Having something the size of my wallet or smaller, that I can throw in a pair of shorts and not have to think about printing, is good.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    ^^^^this

Only reason I considered it, I open carry primarily but like you, I wouldnt mind it for my gym shorts I sometimes just wear out and about. Like I said though, the prices some of them are wanting :(

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    The idea of a couple extra rounds in a small configuration is what I’m interested in. Having something the size of my wallet or smaller, that I can throw in a pair of shorts and not have to think about printing, is good.

I had the same idea. I carried a bond arms for 2 months and gave up. the printing wasn't an issue, but its an incredibly heavy small gun. When i would walk, my short pocket would swing because of it. VS my Glock 43, no one can tell, I don't feel it, and I carry more rounds.

Not saying give up, they are fun to bust out with the buddies. but I think for a small carry there are many more efficient options.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

An lcp is going to be lighter than pretty much any Derringer, more rounds, easier to shoot, and cheaper. There is nothing a Derringer does these days, that a different gun won't do better.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    An lcp is going to be lighter than pretty much any Derringer, more rounds, easier to shoot, and cheaper. There is nothing a Derringer does these days, that a different gun won't do better.

This was the reason for my question.

If you want a tiny gun that is difficult to use and mostly worthless, why not pick the NAA mini revolver? Those are at least cool.
    Otherwise the micro .380s from Ruger, Keltec, and others are lighter with more ammo and better triggers. And they are not much bigger than a derringer--if any!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute

Doesn't have a trigger guard, but it is still interesting. And probably very friendly for shorts.

https://www.trailblazerfirearms.com/22wmr/

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I like my Double Tap 45. Flat, smaller than a phone, safe 12 lb. trigher with trigger guard. 2 extra rounds store in the grip. Also available in 9mm, but used. These aren't made anymore.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Why a derringer at all? They were mediocre when they were a new design, and I think that we should just admit that they are bad now.

220px-Abraham_Lincoln_O-77_matte_collodion_print.jpg

"They're okay I guess...."

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    To follow up on the other posts:

I’ve given the lcp some thought. In all fairness.

DoubleTap is a brand that is hard to find. Not impossible but more difficult, and subsequently expensive.

I think there are several people that would argue the relative “merit” of derringers.

thank you everyone.

Top Bottom