• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Patiently waiting for the Dan Wesson price point comparisons....

Ruger warranty sucks

[FONT=&quot]
    faqQuestion.gif
    Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger® Firearm?
    faqClose.gif

The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger® firearms.

Dan Wesson warranty still sucks but slightly less (5 years).

You can pick up the comparable DW model for about $1450 on gun broker , the Ruger has a couple more bells and whistles but it is 1750 wish.

Paying big bucks for a gun that the manufacturer does not have the guts to stand behind does not thrill me.

STI on the other hand:[/FONT]

[h=4]THE STI WARRANTY.[/h]STI strives to provide our customers with the highest quality, most reliable guns possible. Simply put, if it breaks we fix it. Normal use, abuse or neglect of proper maintenance care are excluded. We stand behind the guns we build.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ruger warranty sucks

[FONT=&amp]
    faqQuestion.gif
    faqClose.gif

The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger® firearms.

You can pick up the comparable DW model for about $1450 on gun broker , the Ruger has a couple more bells and whistles but it is 1750 wish.

Paying big bucks for a gun that the manufacturer does not have the guts to stand behind does not thrill me.

THE STI WARRANTY.

STI strives to provide our customers with the highest quality, most reliable guns possible. Simply put, if it breaks we fix it. Normal use, abuse or neglect of proper maintenance care are excluded. We stand behind the guns we build.

Ruger CS is supposed to be some of the best. I see that statement from them regarding warranty a way to say that the govt can go pound sand, but they will stand behind their product.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ruger CS is supposed to be some of the best. I see that statement from them regarding warranty a way to say that the govt can go pound sand, but they will stand behind their product.

I think you are right, unless and until a new manager at Ruger changes things to try and increase profit like new managers always seem to do. They have been buttheads about things in the past (denying health benefits to employees that do not follow their motorcycle policy, refusing to sell parts to revolver smiths, etc) which makes me a bit more leery.

Right or wrong, for my money I'd rather have an STI Trojan or something similar with a no bs warranty than the Koenig with a just trust me warranty.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Right or wrong, for my money I'd rather have an STI Trojan or something similar with a no bs warranty than the Koenig with a just trust me warranty.[/QUOTE]

I believe Dave Dawson is on board with STI now. While I haven’t had any issues with STI I understand that there have been initial quality problems with some of their guns in recent years.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Right or wrong, for my money I'd rather have an STI Trojan or something similar with a no bs warranty than the Koenig with a just trust me warranty.

I believe Dave Dawson is on board with STI now. While I haven’t had any issues with STI I understand that there have been initial quality problems with some of their guns in recent years.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've sent 3 back and a friend has sent 2 back. Thing is that they pay for shipping and they do what it takes to fix an old gun or get a new gun right, the initial hassle stinks but at the end of the day you have what you paid for.

I shoot a lot and tend to be the guy that gets the call when a friend/familiy member has a gun problem, have also field tested the warranties of S&W & Les Baer & Kahr and gotten good results.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I emailed Ruger customer service because i needed a few things for a certain gun and i asked how to purchase. Less than 48hrs later (before i had even recieved an automated email response) i had a package on my doorstep with everything i needed. I was kinda stunned...very impressive

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think you are right, unless and until a new manager at Ruger changes things to try and increase profit like new managers always seem to do. They have been buttheads about things in the past (denying health benefits to employees that do not follow their motorcycle policy, refusing to sell parts to revolver smiths, etc) which makes me a bit more leery.

Glock only has a stated 1 year warranty https://us.glock.com/own/warranty

Smith does something similar, except it is a 1 year limited warranty but they have a stated lifetime service policy:

Warranty | Smith & Wesson
    Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase. The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional defects; it does not include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines or sights. The Lifetime Service Policy is in addition to and not an extension of the Smith & Wesson Warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from State to State.

Personally, I understand what you are saying, but I'd rather have a company with a reputation of taking care of it's customers, rather than a long winded warranty statement that is just to adhere to govt regulation. Ruger has that reputation, and certainly they could change their stance, but they know that could be detrimental to their business very quickly.

Last edited:

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Personally, I understand what you are saying, but I'd rather have a company with a reputation of taking care of it's customers, rather than a long winded warranty statement that is just to adhere to govt regulation. Ruger has that reputation, and certainly they could change their stance, but they know that could be detrimental to their business very quickly.[/QUOTE]

I agree and from what I’ve read Ruger has given excellent customer service in the past.

I guess my feeling is at this price point you should expect any manufacturer to put out a product that will be right out of the box the first time. We’re paying a premium for that attention to detail that should make these guns run right from the first shot to the 20,000th.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I guess my feeling is at this price point you should expect any manufacturer to put out a product that will be right out of the box the first time. We’re paying a premium for that attention to detail that should make these guns run right from the first shot to the 20,000th.

"Should", I agree with. My experience has been that you need good warranty service though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ruger warranty sucks

[FONT="]
    faqQuestion.gif
    faqClose.gif

[h=4]THE STI WARRANTY.[/h]STI strives to provide our customers with the highest quality, most reliable guns possible. Simply put, if it breaks we fix it. Normal use, abuse or neglect of proper maintenance care are excluded. We stand behind the guns we build.

Springfield.....I know I know so just save it......has a great CS. Just sying.

I was never head over heals with anything Koenig I ever fondled. Not at those price points but I have not seen/handled this one as yet.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I like where Ruger is going with their 1911 line. They keep expanding and wanted to add a top of the line choice. Not my choice, but has some nice features. Hope they keep the new products coming and keep adding calibers to the line up. It seems to keep the other manufacturers on their toes.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    That 1911 does look amazing however I feel like for the price there may be better options, however I'd have to do some more digging on the overall quality and performance of said Koenig to confirm that. Definitely worth looking into though...

Top Bottom