• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Advice, please.
    I have been in a dialogue the past 2 days about an intriguing trade that seemed really good, and would have jumped on it, but I was trying to sell my Sig 365.
    He is a member here and quite a gun enthusiast and I have enjoyed talking with him much.
    He contacted me about the trade since he was selling this:

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm with some serious upgrades that is intended for Defensive and/or Competition Shooting.Like New Condition in the Original Box with Paperwork (~250 Rounds Fired Total)

This is a PERFECT All-In-One package for someone wanting to jump into IDPA, USPSA, or basic Tactical/Defensive Shooting.
    Looking to Trade because I have this same setup in a 5" Performance Center and the Shield, so this never gets shot.

Upgrades:
    Dawson Precision Fiber Optic Front Site ($40)
    Dawson Precision Fixed Carry Rear Site ($40)
    Galloway Precision 15 lb Recoil Spring with 2-Piece Stainless Steel Guide Rod (for positive ejection) ($15)
    Springer Precision Extended Mag Release (great addition and have never actuated accidentally shooting or carrying) ($35)
    Taylor Freelance Basepads on all Magazines ($70)

Extras:
    4 15-Round S&W Magazines (2 Factory + 2 Extra ($70)
    KT Mech Gunfighter Holster ($35)
    KT Mech Gunfigher Dual Magazine Carrier ($40)

Total Extras/Upgrades: $275 (Without wrench time. Feel Free to check my prices and math.)
    Fair Market M&P 9 2.0 Compact: $400

Total Value: $675
    Market Value: Always a little less than that

I thought this was well worth the value of my 365 which I was selling for $475 - $535, depending on accessories bought with it.
    The dimensions made it bigger than what I wanted for a larger CC, but about what my CZ P-10 is that I could possibly keep,
    which neither are hammer-fired with a safety like I prefer, but neither was the 365.
    I was looking forward to my range time with the S/W to see how it fit into the pecking order of accuracy compared to the Shadow 2 (CZ would beat it even before upgrades I imagine),
    and the Bersa TPXT competition gun, which I think would have been a neck and neck trial in my hands perhaps.

Thursday evening I didn't take the plunge to trade but left it open,
    b/c I had a firm buyer for Friday, another for Saturday and another for next weekend (all who said they wanted it, and all knew the "1st in line" order that I have laid out.
    So, I thought the Friday buyer after work was solid and a member here.
    I told the seller of the Smith and he knew the trade wasn't going to materialize, but Friday am the 365 buyer called to cancel b/c of circumstances.
    Then I thought I would trade again, but the Saturday buyer finally contacted me late pm saying he really did want it but couldn't respond earlier b/c of work (I had let him know at 10am that is was going to be available, and was he still "in").
    Before that call the buyer for next weekend (another member here) called to say he and the wife bought something else, which was perfectly fine, and we had a wonderful dialogue about his new gun (one that I had been reading about myself just last evening) and cars and wives. :)

(on another note, the buyer of the original holsters for the Sig 365 had a Honda S2000 he had bought last summer, so it was really cool when I drove up in mine: his was in the garage like a normal person, and he was in the same car club I frequented for years: S2KCA)

So, it looks like the sale is on again for the Sig today at 1 pm (he's 2 hrs. away and coming over to my side of town on some business: convenient).
    If it falls through, unless another buyer comes around, I will go ahead and trade for the S/W since it seems like a lovely chance to get an upgraded gun for the range, and perhaps for a larger CC, unless the other Bersa TPR9cm fills that place.

I even thought about buying it outright, but I'm not supposed to be doing that, and with a trade I could have easily sold it and got my money back out of it, but I did not even broach the subject since a fair offer would have been perhaps $600 instead of what I'm selling the 365 for.
    But, it is close enough to be tempting if he would, but I don't want to insult him with a $500 - $550 offer, and he's really wanting a trade anyway, so a cash offer might even have to be closer to $700: I'm afraid to ask. :dunno:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Only a question you can answer. You be judge of what the extras are or are not worth.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp9-m2-0-cmpct-9mm-15-1-4-fs.html

1. I am to the point where something besides non-stock has an appeal after broaching the small upgrades on my Shadow 2: love the flat trigger and lighter pull, and can't wait to find out if it produces even better "holes" than I had with it stock (a friend here says no, probably b/c of my sight, but maybe b/c I shoot too fast or both. :laugh: )

2. I haven't been able to go to the range since I got the Shadow back last Sat. to test it, and its been 2 weeks since I got a brand new gun (Bersa TPR9cm), so it has been 3 weeks at least since I've been to the range: unforgivable and outrageous! :ugh:

3. Concerning the trade, I guess I'm asking with the upgrades it has had, would it have been much more accurate than a stock 2.0, which I understand is more so than the 1.0 (if that is the correct terminology.
    4. I only know my Shield 9mm was fine, but didn't compete with I had with the different guns I had bought over time, but was a perfect CC until the Sig 365 came into my life.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    On quick review (I'm not a gun gamer, so take this for what it's worth), I see the mods on that gun and the accessories as gamer/competition things that might make for faster gaming/follow on shots when moving, etc, but I don't see anything (barrel replacement?) that would lend to pure accuracy improvement, or possibly even better mechanics to make the shooter better (trigger?).

The 2.0 Compact is a great gun (I have a few). You will need to value those accessories yourself and whether they are something you would want, or are just considering the "deal" and the price, but on accessories you are not interested in... just my opinion. Don't want to get slammed for knocking someone else's gun, again this is just my opinion on the value/accessories that you asked for. I'm not seeing you as the low drag, fast moving competition shooter type.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On quick review (I'm not a gun gamer, so take this for what it's worth), I see the mods on that gun and the accessories as gamer/competition things that might make for faster gaming/follow on shots when moving, etc, but I don't see anything (barrel replacement?) that would lend to pure accuracy improvement, or possibly even better mechanics to make the shooter better (trigger?).

The 2.0 Compact is a great gun (I have a few). You will need to value those accessories yourself and whether they are something you would want, or are just considering the "deal" and the price, but on accessories you are not interested in... just my opinion. Don't want to get slammed for knocking someone else's gun, again this is just my opinion on the value/accessories that you asked for. I'm not seeing you as the low drag, fast moving competition shooter type.

1. Very insightful, coming from experience that I don't have and valid, b/c the guy is a competitive shooter.
    2. We have even been in touch this am and he has "a few" trade offers he is considering, he was just waiting for the "right one" like we all do.
    3. He just had been wanting the 365, and I'm always up for trying out a gun with a good reputation, especially in a trade where I feel I am getting more than I'm giving (but the other party happy as well.
    4. I even tried out the Bersa with its average reputation, but b/c of recommendations privately from members here who love and have used them, I have given 2 of them a try). One is my 2nd favorite and 2nd most accurate gun (TPXT) and the other (TPR9cm) I haven't even been to the range with yet (it is closed for upgrades to the range).

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

I agree completely with this assessment. A few extras to gain a few seconds during fast paced competition requiring multiple mag changes and nothing to increase accuracy for a bullseye shooter.

I have a S&W MP9 2.0 Compact. It is in the same class and size as the CZ P10-C, Glock 19, etc.

All are similar in accuracy and when I head to the range, my P10-C or Glock 19 go with me MUCH more often than the S&W MP9 2.0 Compact for no reason that I can really put my finger on. I would be happy to have any of these three pistols if I had to defend myself.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Why.....

Sig is a top tier gun. Keep it.
    I don't see why people sell or trade off guns they have anyway.

I love my guns. Every 6 months or so I take them all out, clean them, and lay them all over my bed. Then I roll around naked. I would never get rid of them. In fact I need more of them. And a larger bed.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Why.....

I love my guns. Every 6 months or so I take them all out, clean them, and lay them all over my bed. Then I roll around naked. I would never get rid of them. In fact I need more of them. And a larger bed.

You haven’t been watching Gary’s journey have you?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I agree completely with this assessment. A few extras to gain a few seconds during fast paced competition requiring multiple mag changes and nothing to increase accuracy for a bullseye shooter.

I have a S&W MP9 2.0 Compact. It is in the same class and size as the CZ P10-C, Glock 19, etc.

All are similar in accuracy and when I head to the range, my P10-C or Glock 19 go with me MUCH more often than the S&W MP9 2.0 Compact for no reason that I can really put my finger on. I would be happy to have any of these three pistols if I had to defend myself.

1. Hey gm!
    2. Thanks for your feedback!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why.....

Note to self... Never shoot, handle or if he does change his mind, buy a gun from the Duck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

And at the risk of piling on the seller of this 2.0 I also agree. Upgrades are cool and all that, but I doubt any of those will make it more accurate. Trigger work doesn't even make a gun more accurate. It may make it so the shooter can actuate the trigger better which can lead to accuracy improvements but there are guys out there that can run a box stock pistol and out shoot a mediocre shooter all day long.

If you want the upgrades and would spend the money on them, then add those costs to the base price of the gun and if the price is acceptable buy it. But if you don't want those upgrades, then to me it isn't worth it.

I generally end up selling my guns with the upgrades, extra mags and holsters very close to what just the pistol price is. So in reality I lose money. But if I shot it, I consider the money loss as my "usage fee".

That is for newer guns at least. My older stuff and any S&W revolver that I have sold, I have done well on.:)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The other thing I would add is that if someone is looking at all those race gun accessories as adding value for a later flip... It is harder to sell a customized race gun than it is a bone stock or near OEM gun, especially a good EDC gun from a reputable manufacturer, IMO.

Not that it won't sell at all, but you have the find the right buyer, and they are not as plentiful as buyers of stock carry guns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    And at the risk of piling on the seller of this 2.0 I also agree. Upgrades are cool and all that, but I doubt any of those will make it more accurate. Trigger work doesn't even make a gun more accurate. It may make it so the shooter can actuate the trigger better which can lead to accuracy improvements but there are guys out there that can run a box stock pistol and out shoot a mediocre shooter all day long.

If you want the upgrades and would spend the money on them, then add those costs to the base price of the gun and if the price is acceptable buy it. But if you don't want those upgrades, then to me it isn't worth it.

1. Exactly.

I generally end up selling my guns with the upgrades, extra mags and holsters very close to what just the pistol price is. So in reality I lose money. But if I shot it, I consider the money loss as my "usage fee".

2. And, I would buy an upgraded gun only if the upgrades are not much more than the price of the gun alone.

That is for newer guns at least. My older stuff and any S&W revolver that I have sold, I have done well on.:)

Gary. . . .

You think waaaaay too much.

3. Surely, you jest! :dunno: :laugh:
    4. You should see me doing the research buying tires for my roadster or a even a vacuum cleaner for the wife. :coffee:

The other thing I would add is that if someone is looking at all those race gun accessories as adding value for a later flip... It is harder to sell a customized race gun than it is a bone stock or near OEM gun, especially a good EDC gun from a reputable manufacturer, IMO.
    Not that it won't sell at all, but you have the find the right buyer, and they are not as plentiful as buyers of stock carry guns.

5. I totally get about the cost of customizing a gun making it harder to sell.
    6. That is why I bought a Shadow 2 instead of spending $600 cajunizing a CZ 75. Since I don't know how long I'd keep a gun, I'm not willing to take that kind of loss.
    7. My latest and only upgrade to any gun was just recently to my Shadow 2 (spending only a modest amount), b/c I believe I'll part with that last and only if I'm forced to do so b/c it by far my favorite and best and most wonderful and greatest and beloved gun. :rofl:
    8. Thank you gmcttr for letting me shoot yours in Columbus, OH at the outdoor range: I blame you for my unhappiness with a perfectly good CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm DA/SA 18 rnds. that a member put me onto last summer, but no, you had to put that Shadow 2 in my hands, and had to sell the Tactical! :dunno:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    If you have another carry gun you like as well go for it. The S&W might not be as easy to sell as the Sig but it will be more fun to shoot. Just my .02
    There's a carry gun match on the 27th.. Come on out and give that new pistol some exercise. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    If you ever have to send a handgun back to S&W for warranty work or repair, They will discard the "upgrades" and replace them with stock factory parts. Just keep that in mind.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you have another carry gun you like as well go for it. The S&W might not be as easy to sell as the Sig but it will be more fun to shoot. Just my .02
    There's a carry gun match on the 27th.. Come on out and give that new pistol some exercise. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

I don't know. The 365 is the most fun small carry gun I have shot.

Top Bottom