• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I was wanting a 5 inch barrel m2.0 for a range gun. I went to a couple different gun stores and no one had it in stock. I looked at a compact and it fit like a glove so I bought it. I get tighter groups than I did with my old sr9c. I really like the M&p and it became my new colder months every day carry. How much difference in accuracy would I gain with a 5 inch over the 4 inch compact? Trying to decide if I should just practice more with what I have or invest in a range / home specific gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know you but I would think you could get plenty proficient with the compact. It is similar to the vaunted G19 and those are used by the millions to defend life and punch holes in 6" diameter cardboard targets.

I think the 4" or so barrel could well be the do it all size handgun. When I thought I would really get into gaming, I bought a 5" Walther Q5 Match. It would have been good for that. But it really didn't serve some other purposes well. So I sold it and am on the hunt for something with a 4" barrel.

If you have your heart set on the full size, you can always sell the compact for a few bucks less than what you paid for it and buy the full size.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It depends on what kind of shooting you are doing and how good your eyesight is. Longer sight radius of the 5" can be easier for old eye front sight post focus.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I shoot the 2.0 compact it’s like a Glock 19 only better!
    Unless you are going to shoot IDPA or something buy some ammo and sign up for a class with the $$ and you would be better off IMO.

BTW
    I know a guy who carries two full size M&P’s!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It depends on what kind of shooting you are doing and how good your eyesight is. Longer sight radius of the 5" can be easier for old eye front sight post focus.

Hop, for my old eyes, 1” doesn’t make a difference. I still need 2.0x readers to see the post.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The 5 inch is easier to shoot as is heavier and has the tendency to shoot more flat and has less felt recoil, mechanical accuracy should be the same one vs the other. The 5 inch is a very pleasant polymer striker fire handgun to shoot and if you do your part (what makes the difference). The compact requires more skill to achieve the same results as the 5 inch but great handgun non the less.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the input to everyone. I don’t think I could sell the compact because I really like everything about it. The size is a comfortable fit to my hand and not bad to carry. Balanced well and reliable even with cheaper ammo. I probably just need to work on form and fundamentals instead of thinking I could be a better shot with better equipment. Who knows I might find a deal I can’t refuse on a 5inch and get it too. Thanks again

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    All M&PS I've had (9mm and 45) were always one hole groups at 7-10 yards. The main benefit with the 5" is it feels a little flatter shooting (not that the regular and compact is bad) and the slightly longer barrel might give you a bump in velocities and a ransom rest might have tighter groups at say 25 yards.

So a lot of folks like the 5" for the fun games I'd love to get a 5" but my standard size worked fine for USPSA and etc with steel that idea has taken a back burner.

Good luck

Top Bottom