• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I was working at the shop on Saturday and a guy came in wanting to possibly trade in his m&p 9 I started looking at it and noticed a few oddities about it that ive never seen on a m&p before

first thing was the loaded chamber indicator if was a piece that popped up like on the ruger sr9 (that made me think it was a ma compliant gun)
    second was the thumb safety, it had a red dot that was visible when the safety was off
    third it was triple serial numbered (frame, slide, and barrel)
    fourth on the slide was another number that started with USPOL then has a series of numbers
    fifth was it had a cardboard box from the factory, it had the same label that comes on the plastic box
    sixth it had a aluminum cleaning rod, and the grip panels had lanyard holes (I know 2.0 m&p's have them, but I didn't thing gen 1's had them)
    seventh NO SAFETY LOCK! (the guy said he bought the gun at academy sports) federal law says handguns have to have a safety lock when sold!
    and lastly the sku number was one I couldn't find, I went to smith and wessons website and did a sku look up and this numbed wasn't there, the number after it was but not this one

so my thinking was, it was an over run for a European police agency (due to the triple serial numbers) that was never exported (it didn't have any import marks either), I think he said he paid 360.00 for it at academy sports, I wasn't interested in it (we have a 1st gen compact that has had no interest), but after talking to him and pointing out all the interesting features that aren't on other m&p's he said hes going to keep it, I recommended he call smith and Wesson and see if they could tell him who it was made for (hell I would just to satisfy my own curiosity)

so given what I noticed on the pistol, what do you think ingo? some European police department gun?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Found this.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...bers-side-my-m-p-stand-right-under-smith.html

From linked article.

The pistols ordered by the Belgium Federal Police were based upon the well established M&P platform, which has been adopted by hundreds of police agencies and has achieved popularity with consumers as well. The M&P9 pistols were built to meet the exact specifications set forth by the police agency. Enhanced features included luminescent sights, a manual thumb safety with on/off red dot indicator, and a raised loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide that could be felt by hand. The M&P9 pistols retained the original design features and were supplied with two 17-round magazines along with cleaning materials.
    So her is the explonation. Confirmed by s&w customer service.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    This stuff fascinates me. So if it was for the Belgium police, how did it get here? So many questions.

my initial thought was it was an overrun, that never went out of the country, that smith sold them to academy

if it went out of the country, it would have had import marks on it when it came back (like century puts on their imports)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    that's it! even has the same sku number, I tried googling the sku on Saturday but nothing came up! after reading the info, I never even noticed the luminescent sights! ...maybe I should have bought it for my own use!

Note luminescent likely means just that... and not true night sights. Still kind of interesting.

Top Bottom