• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This Browning 1911-22LR has an aluminum slide.
    Should I steer clear of it or is that fine (vs the stainless steel or steel slide)?

I was told by a company that upgrades guns:
    "the Buckmark, Victory and MK IV are the most accurate 22lr since they use a bolt, not a slide and have fixed barrels."
    "This gun has been upgraded by us. Refinished slide and includes our full length guide rod and the barrel length is 4.2".

I was also told the barrel is not fixed on this model (unlike the Buckmark), therefore I'm assuming it doesn't have the potential of being as accurate as the Buckmark, Victory and MK IV.

Please advise (especially Aeroflyer who seems to know much about the .22LR pistols).

If it would be no better than what I have, I won't bother, b/c something will have to be trimmed to make room for it, and I'm already going to have to trim some of these maybe this summer:
    a. Browning Buckmark
    b. Ruger Mark 4
    c. S/W 22A-1
    d. Colt Target
    e. Smith 41
    f. SW Victory
    g. Beretta M9-22 (not as accurate as the others but I always wanted one: not even really a Beretta!)
    h. Ruger Charger
    i. Updated GSG 1911-22

Browning 1911-22LR Blackline custom:
    BdumIhl.png

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    99.99999% of 22 semi autos have a fixed barrel. I can’t think of any that don’t have a fixed barrel, it’s why they work as blow back actions. The Browning 1911-22 isn’t any different in this regard.

Here’s a pretty good write up:
    https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?229-Browning-1911-22-and-1911-380-Black-Label

The aluminum is fine. I wouldn’t hesitate because of that. I would hesitate to do business with that shop though, based on the information provided.

I doibt it it would be much different that the GSG or the Beretta.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    99.99999% of 22 semi autos have a fixed barrel. I can’t think of any that don’t have a fixed barrel, it’s why they work as blow back actions. The Browning 1911-22 isn’t any different in this regard.

https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?229-Browning-1911-22-and-1911-380-Black-Label

The aluminum is fine. I wouldn’t hesitate because of that. I would hesitate to do business with that shop though.

1. Thanks for the input, my trusted friend. :thumbsup:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

The aluminum is fine. I wouldn’t hesitate because of that. I would hesitate to do business with that shop though.

I can think of many, Colt 1911 Ace and 22LR conversion, Sig 226 22LR, CZ 75-85 22LR pistol and conversion kit and others.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I doubt it it would be much different that the GSG .

This, other than size, can't see it doing anything that your GSG doesn't already do.

Basically, if you are not carrying a 1911 in a centerfire caliber, I can't see any reason to want a 1911 22 trainer gun. I'd see even less reason to have one that doesn't mimic the size of one of the standard size 1911's (commander, officer, govt).

That said, I love 22 LR trainers that mimic the carry gun as much as possible. I also see seeking some of the 22 LR handguns that are designed/built for accuracy.

I would not see this particular gun competing with the purpose built 22 LRs you have in the way you judge a gun.

The aluminum slide is not an issue.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This, other than size, can't see it doing anything that your GSG doesn't already do.

Basically, if you are not carrying a 1911 in a centerfire caliber, I can't see any reason to want a 1911 22 trainer gun. I'd see even less reason to have one that doesn't mimic the size of one of the standard size 1911's (commander, officer, govt).

That said, I love 22 LR trainers that mimic the carry gun as much as possible. I also see seeking some of the 22 LR handguns that are designed/built for accuracy.

I would not see this particular gun competing with the purpose built 22 LRs you have in the way you judge a gun.

The aluminum slide is not an issue.

1. All good and valid points.
    2. I have moved on and dismissed it, but my weakness made me look at it.
    3. Appreciate you taking the time to give your input! :thumbsup:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've owned a few different .22 target pistols over the years. I started with a Ruger Mark I, with 5 1/2" bull barrel (yes, I'm that old), followed by a High Standard Citation (pre-Houston) and pre Texas Hi Standard Victor. I have a Hammerli 208s and a Marvel .22 Conversion. The only one with an aluminum slide is the Marvel. After several thousand rounds, the aluminum slide seems to be holding up very well. The Hammerli is by far the most accurate (with match grade ammo). If the Rugers are making their barrels with the same accuracy potential as before (I hear that they do). I would say that for a reasonably priced .22, it would be my choice. There are also some great upgrades for the Ruger from Majestic Arms and Volquartsen. The S&W model 41 seems to be hit and miss regarding pristine accuracy and is very picky about ammo. I think it is overpriced for what one gets. I have a new S&W M&P .22 Compact. It is fairly reliable and accurate out to about 15 yards. The trigger is very heavy and creepy. It is a fun plinker and a fun platform for a suppressor. It does have a steel slide.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've owned a few different .22 target pistols over the years. I started with a Ruger Mark I, with 5 1/2" bull barrel (yes, I'm that old), followed by a High Standard Citation (pre-Houston) and pre Texas Hi Standard Victor. I have a Hammerli 208s and a Marvel .22 Conversion. The only one with an aluminum slide is the Marvel. After several thousand rounds, the aluminum slide seems to be holding up very well. The Hammerli is by far the most accurate (with match grade ammo). If the Rugers are making their barrels with the same accuracy potential as before (I hear that they do). I would say that for a reasonably priced .22, it would be my choice. There are also some great upgrades for the Ruger from Majestic Arms and Volquartsen. The S&W model 41 seems to be hit and miss regarding pristine accuracy and is very picky about ammo. I think it is overpriced for what one gets. I have a new S&W M&P .22 Compact. It is fairly reliable and accurate out to about 15 yards. The trigger is very heavy and creepy. It is a fun plinker and a fun platform for a suppressor. It does have a steel slide.

At least the current M&P Compact 22LR slides are aluminum alloy. I have one. It is a good trainer gun. Doesn't match up exactly with the M&P as it is an internal hammer, vs striker, has a safety on it, and as you say trigger is different, but I agree, I like it.

Source for slide material info:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-22-compact

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Alot of good info there! :thumbsup:
    2. The SW MP .22 Compact was one of the first new guns I bought when I was looking at inexpensive .22LR handguns, and I was quite happy with it.
    3. Over time, with the additions of some other brands (Ruger Mark 4, Browning Buckmark, Colt Target, SW 22A & Victory), the SW Compact couldn't keep up in accuracy with the others, and I moved on.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I own or have owned several brands of .22 handguns and rifles over the years. Had a Smith 41 and while very accurate is was ammo picky, Smith 22a fun gun but just wasn't happy with it, Browning buckmark ( I am a mag hoarder and mags are a little harder to get a hold of) but it shot great, Smith 2206. takes same mags as the 41 and strange barrel setup but very accurate and one of the first suppressor host. I love my Rugers and still have several MKI. MKII,MKIII and MKIV's. Theyare very customizable but with some patience and rounds they smooth out very well. Smith Compact (was disappointed that it didn't match the M&P line as Smith advertised, Walther P22 didn't like the European style mag release. I have one of the new Taurus TX22's but haven't made it to the range yet. I don't usually care for their products but a striker fired .22 with this good of a trigger pull got me. Just my observations

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I own or have owned several brands of .22 handguns and rifles over the years. Had a Smith 41 and while very accurate is was ammo picky, Smith 22a fun gun but just wasn't happy with it, Browning buckmark ( I am a mag hoarder and mags are a little harder to get a hold of) but it shot great, Smith 2206. takes same mags as the 41 and strange barrel setup but very accurate and one of the first suppressor host. I love my Rugers and still have several MKI. MKII,MKIII and MKIV's. Theyare very customizable but with some patience and rounds they smooth out very well. Smith Compact (was disappointed that it didn't match the M&P line as Smith advertised, Walther P22 didn't like the European style mag release. I have one of the new Taurus TX22's but haven't made it to the range yet. I don't usually care for their products but a striker fired .22 with this good of a trigger pull got me. Just my observations

1. Wow! It sounds like you are miles ahead of me in your "tour-of-everything" .22LR, and it would take me awhile to catch up to where you are: I've been doing this for less than 2 yrs. after a long hiatus.
    2. Since your experience with .22LR is deep and wide, I wish you'd have been to the range with the TX, so I could bank on your input.
    3. Let me know, then pm me your experience.
    4. In the vids I've seen, even using poor ammo (M-22 & Thunderbolts) it did well. A few FTF, but the strikes were good, so it had to be the ammo.
    5. What does your experience say about its accuracy potential in comparison to every thing else you have?

Top Bottom