Taurus TX22 .22LR Anyone heard negatives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm home sick with too much time on my hands, so here I am. :coffee:
    Anyone know anything about this new pistol?
    It is a semi-auto Taurus, so it has those 2 things going against it :dunno:, but I can't find anything bad about it, but then again, I can't find anything hardly at all about it except how wonderful it is: the critics haven't shown up yet, just promos or people where it worked perfectly for them at the range.

It has a 5# trigger pull with a great reset (as seen on promo vids).
    I read where it has a polymer guide rod (not impressive, but many do that crap).
    It is supposed to be "competition" ready, but the weight and the mention of the polymer guide rod seems to contradict that.
    I'm a sucker for wanting to believe the good things said about a gun, especially in my preferred weakness of a .22LR shooter.
    After all my experience the past 2ish yrs. in trying out a couple of dozen .22LRs (including the SW 41), I have not been overly impressed with the "superiority" of one over the other, but only subtle/slight differences.
    I have sold some that were consistently being beat by others (SW MP Compact, Beretta Neos), but I liked them all the same.
    I'm not going to run out and buy it today, b/c I want it to out long enough to hear about the weaknesses, but just wondered if anyone had ran across some feedback on them that I'm missing.

TX22 22LR
    ITEM # 1-TX22141
    FRAME SIZE Full
    CAPACITY 16
    HEIGHT 5.44"
    WIDTH 1.25"
    WEIGHT 17.30 oz.
    BARREL LENGTH 4.10"
    OVERALL LENGTH 7.06"
    FRONT SIGHT Fixed White Dot
    REAR SIGHT Adjustable White Dot
    SAFETY Striker Block
    Manual Safety
    Trigger Safety
    MSRP $349.00 (I can get it for $307): cheaper online, but then you have FFL fees and shipping.

xucawij.png

2ZCZF7W.png

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've tried a couple of the "fantastic plastic" offerings from Taurus.
    No more poly Taurus for me.
    I own a PT99 and a PT1911. Love them both.
    The steel semi's they produce are fine, in my book, but the polymers will not find a home in my safe.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've tried a couple of the "fantastic plastic" offerings from Taurus.
    No more poly Taurus for me.
    I own a PT99 and a PT1911. Love them both.
    The steel semi's they produce are fine, in my book, but the polymers will not find a home in my safe.

1. That was my sense, also, but was puzzled that there wasn't a bunch of negative reviews out there.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Streisand effect. Any review, even a bad one, is free advertising. If it's new then there's an excuse though.

Just my thoughts on seeing it, no actual experience: Looks like a "looks like a real (scary black, not toy looking like some .22s) gun for people that think .380 has too much boom" kind of gun.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I was going to swear off Taurus after the 24/7 mess, but I really want one of these, as soon as the price drops to around $250, I’ll have one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was going to swear off Taurus after the 24/7 mess, but I really want one of these, as soon as the price drops to around $250, I’ll have one.

1. I was checking yesterday and there are more vids out on them with guys putting anywhere from 300 to 1300 rounds through it w/o issues (just the usual .22LR rimfire not firing even though striking great = ammo related every few hundred rounds).
    2. I know where to get them for $290 new (+tax), but they ran out of them (again), but had them for a few days before selling out, but I'm in no hurry anyway.
    3. I found out listening online that they are reliable but the "competition-ready" does not mean accurate groups type of thing, but more of a shoot-fast, good trigger, with a nice 16 rounds ready in the magazine.
    4. I would be surprised if they go down to $250, if they fulfill the hype that is going on so far, but I'm no pricing expert.
    5. I want to wait until I hear some critics get ahold of it.
    6. I remember not buying a Ruger SR22 awhile back b/c of some issues I had read about (probably ammo brand), while others had none, but I didn't need it anyway.
    7. All that to say, it's just to good to be true that Taurus is having such good reviews with a brand new semi-auto .22LR, to me, the verdict is still out.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've seen this gun being advertised lately. My question is: What "competition" is this geared towards?

Most of the .22 competition pistols I have seen are tricked-out Ruger 22/45's. Not sure where this fits in at.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've seen this gun being advertised lately. My question is: What "competition" is this geared towards?

Most of the .22 competition pistols I have seen are tricked-out Ruger 22/45's. Not sure where this fits in at.

Along with that, Taurus has billed it as “comp ready” and also played up the 16 round magazine. Which rimfire competitions allow more than 10 rounds? When I’ve looked, the 10 round limit seems to be a constant among most competitions.

Not trying to pull it down, just not convinced that it should be billed as “competition ready”.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Agreed, I'd think they should be touting the striker fired, trainer aspect vs it being a competition (which to me = gaming gun)

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I just want it for shooting steel in the back yard. I used to have a Walther P22, but it was so small, only held 10, and had a hammer vs striker.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Taurus had a quality control purge awhile back, and the new line of pistols seems to be an attempt to overcome the mostly justified preconceptions about their polymer guns. Great reviews so far. I myself have been looking hard at the TX 22. I recently picked up a G2C and plan on giving it a good wringing out to investigate the positive reviews it has gotten.

The only two negatives I've heard of on the TX 22 are the magazines can be a bear to load, and the finish is a bit cheap. For the price I'm not expecting tennifer tough. For a knock around gun, it might fit the bill.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was in Indy Gun Bunker (E. Washington/Post Rd.) today and just happened to notice the Taurus XT .22LR in the display as I was buying some cleaning supplies.
    I held it (very light), didn't dry-fire it (being a rim-fire) and it reminded me of my SW MP Compact .22LR.
    I had already made up my mind b/c of input from here that it held nothing that my present stock of .22LRs didn't have.
    The gun got my attention originally b/c of the "competition-ready" descriptor, but that is what good advertising will do, and I read no negative reviews on it (but very few were available).

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I’m hoping to buy one in the near future, so far everything I’ve read has been positive. I’ve got some Cabelas points saved up so I could get one without paying very much.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m hoping to buy one in the near future, so far everything I’ve read has been positive. I’ve got some Cabelas points saved up so I could get one without paying very much.

I've seen it for $299 and $329 at LGSs, but your Cabelas point system is a sweet way to buy a gun.
    I haven't read anything negative either, but I quit googling it and have moved on.

I bought a Dan Wesson 8" barrel beast at 54 oz., and I'm loving it so much I'm going to sell my Taurus Tracker 990 and then maybe my "used-to-be" most prized .22LR revolver that I bought new (Ruger GP100) since I couldn't find it or the Smith 617 used locally.
    The DW has thrilled me. :rockwoot:
    I don't even bother to shoot the Ruger or Tracker D/A, but the DW is smooth enough to do so and still hit the target reasonably. :draw: :laugh:
    It was bought off a member here which made it even better.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Finally made it to the Range this morning to try out this Firearm. I keep a jug of what I consider junk .22 that I let my grandkids shoot up so I decided what better ammo to test this firearm with. I have several brands, several aged and several bullet types in this jug.

I fired a little over 200 rounds though th TX 22 and was pleasantly surprised. Other than the normal .22 issues it functioned great. I shot for some groups and then decided to try the steel at MCFG. Not the most accurate ( compared to my Rugers) but it is good enough that I feel that I could shoot FNS ( after I find more mags) with no problem.

The only real issue I found is what I have seen others complain about. The MAGS. The are a real PITA to load and will make you thumb sore.

Overall, I think for the price Taurus has a good one this time but time will tell.

Top Bottom