I actually think it means "Basically New In Box."

Not actually "new." But close.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    "Brand new mint condition in box with 3 mags and all accessories. Only fired a couple of times."

I don't see the problem. Take your favorite new gun, shoot it a couple times, clean it up, if it is not still in "Brand new mint condition" after firing a couple rounds then something was very wrong when they built it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always took that to mean, not shot, basically never taken out of the box.

i read awhile back that one 1911 gun maker might shoot 150 rounds through a pistol before shipping it....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Kind of started this partly as humor, partly as :stickpoke:.

Serious question now. For those that say this is still BNIB, at what point does that not apply any longer? 50 rounds? 100? Once something doesn't look "minty fresh" anymore? How about time? I can carry a brand new gun for a month, maybe 2 without marking it up, is it still new at that point? What about if I carried it but never fired it at all?

IMO way too much to take into consideration. BNIB mint condition should mean the gun is unfired, uncarried, unmolested, it's as it was before it left the dealer's shelf. Anything more than that is a used gun. It may be in excellent condition, but it's still used.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Serious question now. For those that say this is still BNIB, at what point does that not apply any longer? 50 rounds? 100? Once something doesn't look "minty fresh" anymore? How about time? I can carry a brand new gun for a month, maybe 2 without marking it up, is it still new at that point? What about if I carried it but never fired it at all?

IMO way too much to take into consideration. BNIB mint condition should mean the gun is unfired, uncarried, unmolested, it's as it was before it left the dealer's shelf. Anything more than that is a used gun. It may be in excellent condition, but it's still used.

Agreed. But new guns, for the most part, aren't like new automobiles where they depreciate instantly once they roll off the dealer's lot. A particular firearm is worth whatever someone will pay for it and it's up to the seller to describe the item accurately and the buyer also has the responsibility to appraise the item's condition vs. as advertised and then decide to buy, make an offer or walk away. Pretty straightforward.

If someone misrepresented what they were selling that's what boards like this are for.

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I took your first post in the tone in which you meant it, and I agree: unfired, uncarried, unmolested, just like it was when it left the dealer's shelf.

I have to respectfully disagree with those who say guns are not like cars; I think there is likely, in most cases, depreciation as soon as it is sold for the first time. Cars, guns, potato peelers- everything has a value, and that is what people will for it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    To me, "mint" is a reference for an historic item. Something that has been used - likely an unknown number of times - but looks like it is fresh off the final assembly line.

It doesn't make sense to call something that is new, in "mint" condition. Its new. Its supposed to be mint.

BNIB for me would be something I literally haven't opened. Not sure how I would acquire something like that - I tend not to buy something unless I'm going to at least try it.

I would say something like "lightly used AR stock, installed and tested, didn't like it, got something I liked better." The fact that it was maybe used for 1 range session, I would reflect that in the price. Not much discount at all. Same for a firearm. Each cycle of shooting and cleaning would result in a greater discount. Dings and stuff equate to discounts, too.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I took your first post in the tone in which you meant it, and I agree: unfired, uncarried, unmolested, just like it was when it left the dealer's shelf.

I have to respectfully disagree with those who say guns are not like cars; I think there is likely, in most cases, depreciation as soon as it is sold for the first time. Cars, guns, potato peelers- everything has a value, and that is what people will for it.

No disrespect felt here. I meant to say "new" guns in comparison to "new" cars. Editing the post, thanks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If only there was an abbreviation to denote the gun is like new in the box...

I don't see the problem. Take your favorite new gun, shoot it a couple times, clean it up, if it is not still in "Brand new mint condition" after firing a couple rounds then something was very wrong when they built it.
    Does that work for toilets too? :dunno:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    i read awhile back that one 1911 gun maker might shoot 150 rounds through a pistol before shipping it....

Pretty sure it is in the Les Baer factory video on youtube also. They fire them durning the build process to verify normal patterns of wear & if memory serves at the end of the build to verify proper function & if you by a 1.5" guarantee gun they fire & ship you the test target.

BNIB mint condition should mean the gun is unfired, .

Do any manufacturers sell unfired guns? Not saying some might not but am used to seeing a couple empty cases packaged with a new gun fairly commonly and I wonder about insurance liability.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do any manufacturers sell unfired guns? Not saying some might not but am used to seeing a couple empty cases packaged with a new gun fairly commonly and I wonder about insurance liability.

Did they fire it before they packaged it in the box to sell? Yes? Then it's irrelevant.

The simple act of the owner removing the gun from the box, then firing it, makes it no longer "NIB", let alone, "BNIB". You can legitimately call it, "LNIB".

Top Bottom