• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    I have seen some talk recently that .40 cal pistols don’t seem to be exactly on the upswing in popularity. That might mean some bargains short-term for those who dig .40, but does that match with what you have seen/heard, anecdotally? Have any manufacturers stepped back from producing .40 offerings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Since FBI and many cop shops are moving away from .40, civilian market will follow suit to some extent. It's similar to how .357 mag is far less popular today that is was in the 1970s when practically every cop and sworn agent carried one.

.40 is still a solid choice, and if you like the caliber, I'd scoop up a deal on one in a heartbeat. The ammo will be around for many years to come.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The caliber itself is no less effective than it has been for the last 30 years.

I think it's just hipsters turning up their noses at it. Just not cool enough for instagram commandos anymore.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Routinely seeing .40 pistols of same make and model, even new stock, going for less than the same offering in 9mm. I assume that to be driven by supply and demand. Used/LEO trade in market has a lot of .40 that is on the market pressing on the new market pricing, along with less demand both on the govt and consumer side of the market.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Today's most popular handgun calibers (by calibers searched) on Ammoseek:

Capture.jpg

I wouldn't worry about .40 S&W going anywhere. There are fewer new pistols chambered for .40 today, but many thousands of them in circulation out there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Now is a great time to be a .40 shooter. There are deals all over the place at the moment and ammo prices are down as well. A lot of agencies are moving towards 9mm and while that makes sense when you are supporting a wide variety of shooters, it does not mean that .40 is a bad choice in and of itself.

With the market nearly flooded with decent condition police trade ins, shops just aren’t moving the .40s like they used to, so prices are down. I’ve added 4 more to the stable in the last year and each one was bought for a large discount over what I’d have paid 4 years ago.

.40 is among my favorite calibers to reload. That straight walled case runs smoother than the 9mm case in a 550 and there’s no LPP/SPP issue like in .45.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I love .40 too. Wish I still had one.

Load up some 180s at 800-850fps and anyone will love shooting it. It's only when you run them up at 975-1050fps where they get super snappy and you start to see slow recovery.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Anyone looking for a good deal on a defensive handgun should be able to find used .40SW police trade in guns at a good deal. Gen 3 Police trade in Glock 22s can be found in the $300 to $350 price range if they look around a little bit.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There have been some great buys on .40 pistols here that I don't think they ever sold. People are only willing to take so much of a loss.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I was going to ask where the original poster has been the last few years. .40 S&W has been on the decline for years, especially with a bunch of law enforcement groups going back to 9mm.

You can find police trade .40s for bargain prices, because they just aren't popular (just compare the prices on Glock 22s used vs Glock 17s or 21s). I got out of the caliber several years ago, as I felt complete covered between my higher capacity 9mm handguns and my .45s. No need for an additional caliber to clutter up my shelves.

That being said. If someone is in the market for a home defense gun, with a limited budget and aren't really going to be getting into a gun collecting, picking up a used Glock 22 is a pretty solid idea (assuming they aren't overly recoil sensitive).

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    It’s not a caliber I shoot, so I was just curious in regards to some of the discussions I have had in passing.

I certainly understand you on avoiding “caliber clutter”! That’s been an ongoing goal of mine, as well.

I was going to ask where the original poster has been the last few years. .40 S&W has been on the decline for years, especially with a bunch of law enforcement groups going back to 9mm.

You can find police trade .40s for bargain prices, because they just aren't popular (just compare the prices on Glock 22s used vs Glock 17s or 21s). I got out of the caliber several years ago, as I felt complete covered between my higher capacity 9mm handguns and my .45s. No need for an additional caliber to clutter up my shelves.

That being said. If someone is in the market for a home defense gun, with a limited budget and aren't really going to be getting into a gun collecting, picking up a used Glock 22 is a pretty solid idea (assuming they aren't overly recoil sensitive).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I happen to love the .40, mainly because it’s what I’m used to. I have 9mm and others as well but still like the .40. I’ve gotten some good deals on Sig and others and couldn’t be happier about it. It seems to all be cyclical but I’m a firm believer the .40 is a good caliber but I’m not trying to pick a fight about calibers.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Just a manufacturer example but Glock is famous for making a bunch of 40 S&W guns and yet (at least as far as I have seen) not a single Gen 5 gun has been made in 40 yet. That should be pretty much everything the consumer base needs to know.

Top Bottom