• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Tried some different (cheaper) ammo today and learned my lesson.
    Tried some Tullammo in 38sp for the sp101. Hated it. $10 a box and certainly not worth the savings.
    Fired ok but the casings are steel and were really tough to eject. Could push them out just a bit and then had to pull each one out by hand.
    Also tried some Remmington Thunderbolts in 22lr. Fired and operated fine but was filthy.
    My hands were black after 120 rounds.
    I bought 500. What do I do with the rest now. Lol
    I guess this is all part of the learning curve.
    At least I got to go shoot.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Here is a tip the Federal Aluminum ammo you get at Wal Mart works great and is cheap, they also have Federal brass ammo for a few bucks more. I have used both 9mm and .45 to include a few classes seems to be great.

BTW .38 spl is $17.00 for 50

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's interesting, my Ruger SR9 HATES steel and aluminum cases. Must be a Ruger characteristic on both revolvers and semi-automatics.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    My Bulgarian Mak loves Wolf steel-case... With that being said, it was designed to shoot steel cased ammo.

I have a box of Thunderbolt that has yet to be opened. It was dirt cheap, and I figure I'll run it through the bolt gun as opposed to the 22/45 or 10/22.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    I was amazed at how dirty my hands were. Literally had big dark black patches on my hands.
    The gun amazingly wasn't too bad when I cleaned it.

Rdmeed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2019
    Silverlake
    I bought some aguilla 300 blk it’s so dirty it blows powder and soot back in your face and only cycles the bolt when it wants to

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I've shot 1000's of rds Tulammo in .45acp and 9mm without any issues (other than being pretty dirty). But I have never read anything good about steel cased .38 special. For shooting cheap .38 spl, I have been using PPU. I picked up 500 rds from SGAmmo at a pretty reasonable price.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive never really found any really clean 22LR ammo.
    my hands are black after a steel match. 2 guns 2x's the amount of ammo handling.

i shoot LSWC out of my USPSA open gun, and i dont get near the amount of lead on my hands...

:cheers:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The steel case TulAmmo is the lowest quality 38 Special available...and it is pretty bad. The 357 Mag is pretty bad too. The 9mm, 380 auto, x39, and 223 are a bit better relatively speaking, but I still don't shoot them because I like to be able to reload my empties.

Listen to Leadeye, learning to reload 38 Special is a good idea and it's easy. You will save money (actually you'll just end up shooting more for the same price), and you will make better ammo than the steel case stuff. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of seeing the results of your work at the range.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Leave steel to tapered cases. It works ok in AKs (and often 9mm) because of the overall conical shape of the case (hence the signature highly curved mags).

Like a flywheel on a tapered shaft, once you break the seal it pops out vs a cylindrical shaft having to press it all the way on and off (or at least work on it a bit if it isn't an interference fit).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom