• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm not, typically, a big .380 acp fan, and I can't believe I'm asking this question, but in your opinion, what is the better / best platform available for pocket carry for in a nylon or leather rear pocket wallet? I'll be wanting a stryker-fired or DAO style pistol...no SA pistols at this time.

I've had a few suggestions given to me, Glock 42, Springfield XD, Ruger LCP I and II, Kahr, Remington RM380, etc.

Based on everyone's experience, which is the best overall pistol, best trigger, most reliable, etc.?

While I'm at it, what is the best .380 acp personal defense ammo to go along with it...CorBon, Double-Tap, federal HST, Hornady, Remington Golden Sabre, Winchester PDX-1...etc?

Which would you recommend and why? Thank you!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im more than happy with my Ruger Lcp custom with Fort Wayne Tactical trigger kit. Added a Viridian laser to it that activates when you unholster and deactivates when reholstered. Fits any pocket really well and have had zero issues out of it. I run Federal HST micro thru it with great results.
    The wife has the S&W Ez shield .380 and it has performed flawlessly as well, but its not as compact as some of the other offerings out there.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have been nothing but absolutely pleased with my Bersa Thunder with Hydra-Shoks. I carry this combination on a regular bases and so does my wife. We have three of them plus a Bersa Thunder .22 for cheap practice.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If you can get a Glock 42 that works that would be a good all around 380 , small enough to conceal , real useable sights and easy to shoot accurately . I bought G42 off the classifieds here and the gun has not proven to be 100% reliable. If it were I would carry it quite often.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I love my LCP II for when I need something light and tiny. The originals are awful but the 2nd gen actually has a nice trigger and is pretty shootable for how small it is.

Last edited:

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I’ll go against the grain and recommend the Taurus spectrum. It’s ugly as can be, but for me it’s very ergonomic and accurate. It’s also very affordable. Mine has been 100% reliable using quality ammo. I struggled with light primer strikes using steel case Tula.

Edit: I have about 400 rounds through it so far.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    A .38 snub nose!

I know you are asking about .380’s and don’t want my opinion got it, I am sure you have your reasons and I respect that.
    With all the good small 9mm’s and .38’s available why a .380 would be a option as a primary is mystifying to me?
    My hope it’s a BUG if so it seems the Ruger LCP’s seem to work unlike that Glock 42 thing no reason to spend anymore $$ than needed on a .380.
    Ammo BALL Federal, Winchester, Remington or look at the underwood extreme penetrator .380 really cannot penetrate and expand.
    IMO pick penetration over expansion your choice not like your betting anything on it.

BTW
    I assume that you will attempt a course of fire with the .380 !

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I'm far from the most widely experienced 380 platform shooter. In my opinion,The Glock 42 would be my first pick. Of the ones my Dept has issued, they've been reliable and accurate on par with our full-size duty Glocks.
    I personally love the Walther PPK. I fired co-workers several times over the years while at qualifications. It's been an amazingly accurate weapon for me. But it was heavy and large by today's tiny 380 standards. Still at some point I will have one and most likely carry it as a backup.
    I'd stay away from Keltec 3-AT and Smith Wesson Bodyguard. The Keltec's trigger was absolutely terrible, almost painful. The Bodyguard's trigger was very long and very heavy. It caused me issues when I'd switch back to another weapon with readjusting to it's normal trigger pull.
    As far as ammo Federal HST and Hornady's Critical Defense have been consistent performers. In feeding, accuracy and extraction.

Stay safe

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here is my 2 cents.

For a .380, Kahr or LCP.

I'll also parrot what Brad says. A small snubbie fits in a pocket very nice. I had a 642 and it would disappear in my front pocket (with a pocket holster). I now carry a LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. 6 shots if near .357 Magnum power level from a 2" barrel. Plus the ability to shoot .32 S&W, .32 acp and 32 H&R make it very versatile.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've owned the Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP and Kahr CW380. The Kahr wins, no comparison IMHO!

I've had two other guys highly recommend the Kahr CW380...said it's 100% reliable and easy to conceal in a pocket.

If you can get a Glock 42 that works that would be a good all around 380 , small enough to conceal , real useable sights and easy to shoot accurately . I bought G42 off the classifieds here and the gun has not proven to be 100% reliable. If it were I would carry it quite often.

The Glock 42 is also a highly recommended .380 pistol...

A .38 snub nose!
    I know you are asking about .380Â’s and donÂ’t want my opinion got it, I am sure you have your reasons and I respect that.
    With all the good small 9mmÂ’s and .38Â’s available why a .380 would be a option as a primary is mystifying to me?
    My hope itÂ’s a BUG if so it seems the Ruger LCPÂ’s seem to work unlike that Glock 42 thing no reason to spend anymore $$ than needed on a .380.
    Ammo BALL Federal, Winchester, Remington or look at the underwood extreme penetrator .380 really cannot penetrate and expand.
    IMO pick penetration over expansion your choice not like your betting anything on it.
    BTW I assume that you will attempt a course of fire with the .380 !

I understand the issues or limitations of the principles of the .380 caliber with regards to it's actual penetrating and expanding...which is the main reason I've simply stayed away from the .380 acp in the first place...

My reasoning is, I'm taking a new job and am wanting a true 'pocket (sized) pistol'...and my thinking is something that fits in a 'wallet-sized' back-pocket style holster...but, then again, I've always been an OWB style carrier...I'll be wearing dress pants or nice khaki's...so something too big will be, obvious.

Here is my 2 cents. For a .380, Kahr or LCP.

I'll also parrot what Brad says. A small snubbie fits in a pocket very nice. I had a 642 and it would disappear in my front pocket (with a pocket holster). I now carry a LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. 6 shots if near .357 Magnum power level from a 2" barrel. Plus the ability to shoot .32 S&W, .32 acp and 32 H&R make it very versatile.

Intriguing...never thought of the LCR in .327 magnum...but a friend of mine has an 3" SP101 in .327 magnum and it's a hoot to shoot!
    It'd be six (6) shots of .327 magnum; in a pocket-sized pistol; without having to be concerned about slide-action, jams, etc; would provide adequate penetration; and with a wood grip would not get hung-up on cloth if drawing was necessary.

These are reasons why I ask...other's experience, input, thoughts, suggestions...all good!

And, so far, thanks to all for your for your feedback as all is helpful! Appreciated!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I know you aren’t interested in a SA pistol, but if you were, I’d recommend the Sig P238. While it’s a bit pricey, it is also a nice little gun that is actually fun to shoot for a pocket .380. I carry striker fired for EDC but prefer a safety that falls to the thumb naturally when I pocket carry.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    LCP II here in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Find what ammo it likes and enjoy for what it is, a small gun to carry when nothing else will hide.

Top Bottom