• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Came across this pic online today and thought it was pretty cool from the historical perspective of modern gunfighting.

From left to right, those in the photo are: Ray Chapman, Elden Carl, Thell Reed, Jeff Cooper, and Jack Weaver.

IMG_0469-675x438.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not to mention the cameraman

Maybe the camera man was a perp they were arresting.

I get it, staged photo, trained professionals, not that big of a deal, but seriously, was trigger discipline just a bit more lax back then (60's, 70's)?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Just to make it easier to view.
    attachment.php

Ray Chapman, Elden Carl, Thell Reed, Jeff Cooper, and Jack Weaver.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought proper trigger discipline and consequently Cooper's Four Rules of Firearms safety were developed in and around the organized shooting sports IPSC/USPSA in the 70's and 80's?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I thought proper trigger discipline and consequently Cooper's Four Rules of Firearms safety were developed in and around the organized shooting sports IPSC/USPSA in the 70's and 80's?

I did too, but I found this:

[video=youtube;Jjk3j2bsxVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjk3j2bsxVw[/video]

Listen to what he says starting at 3:53

Though I don't know when the video was recorded, it seems likely that it was in the early-mid 90s based on his apparent age and comments in another video of the same series in which he talks about the recently adopted Beretta.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I know that I taught them to the guy who shot me in the arm in 1976, so...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I did too, but I found this:

[video=youtube;Jjk3j2bsxVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjk3j2bsxVw[/video]

Listen to what he says starting at 3:53

Though I don't know when the video was recorded, it seems likely that it was in the early-mid 90s based on his apparent age and comments in another video of the same series in which he talks about the recently adopted Beretta.

He's definitely over five years older than the picture, so his words line up about that being "newly added".

The whole video is worth watching. Especially to clear up that rule #1 nonsense. Well... if nothing more than he shows that rule requires sixty seconds of explaining.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Could be that right after that pic was taken, Col. Cooper said ‘Hey guys, we really shouldn’t have our finger on the trigger when pointing at someone. Maybe we need to establish some rules going forward’.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish I could find the link to reference, but I cannot. Col Cooper was being interviewed by someone who asked him about IPSC some years back. Cooper addressed the success of the sport by stating the advances in gun handling safety achieved were monumental.

A highlight of Col Coopers commentary was (to paraphrase,) "Just look at those competitors moving between shooting positions. Their fingers are OFF the triggers. That was unheard of years ago."

Top Bottom