• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    The factory pin that holds the striker in place is a split style roll pin. These are well known to be the weak link in the XD/XDm platform especially if you dry fire without snap caps.

I have always meant to change out my “split roll” pin to a more robust “coiled” roll pin.

It was never a huge priority for me because I always dry fire with snap caps. I had to order some stuff, so I added a pack of the coiled pins to my order.

I changed the pin out today. I had a hell of a time getting the factory split roll pin out. When it did go, it came out in two pieces. It was broken almost exactly in half. I was in disbelief.

I just shot 100 rounds through it with no issues. The gun probably has 2k through it.

I post this because this pin failure could have rendered the gun inoperable. And that could have happened at the worst time, when I needed it most.

I urge owners of this platform to make this pin a priority. I though that I was just being “better safe than sorry.” But, in reality I had a real problem.

Pic of the new vs old pin:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I changed mine out on my 2 xd40s a long time ago. I was doing something else to them at the time, maybe swapping out trigger springs or something and figured as long as I was making changes, a couple more bucks wouldn't hurt. Can't remember where I bought them, but Brownells is a fine source for gun parts.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Ok, so I was curious and searched my email and found an invoice:

[FONT=&amp]Order Date: Fri, Nov 25, 2011 12:28:29
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://shop.powderriverprecision.net[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Payment:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]$38.19 will be charged to your Discover Card card numbered xxxx
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Order Contents:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Qty | Item # | Description | Price Each | Total Price
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]2 | PRP-014-2 | PRP Reduced Power Spring Kit XD/XDM | $11.90 | $23.80
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Spring Kit Caliber: XD 9mm/40 cal
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1 | PRP-037 | PRP Striker Retainer Pin Set of Three | $12.00 | $12.00
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Subtotal $35.80
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Tax $0.00
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Shipping (First-Class Mail®) $2.39
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Balance Due $38.19 [/FONT]

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah, Brownells is a good source. Especially if you are ordering other stuff anyway.

I got mine off a guy that sells them on ebay. I emailed him, thanking him for selling these & sent him the pic from above telling him what happened. Told him he could use the pic in advertising the coil pins.

He responded that he’s working on a solid pin to go even stronger than the coil pin.

He‘s going to send me a sample solid pin next week. I’m really interested to see it.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Solid is an interesting idea, but I don't know that it would be better or meaningfully more durable than the heavy coil pin. Wouldn't it also need something to keep tension on it to hold it in place?

I'm curious to see how it works out.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I have my reservation about the solid pin as well. Such as if it’s being made of hardened steel, which could deform the hole.

I think the coil pin is probably plenty strong enough. Much better than the stock pin.

My biggest question is: Why don’t they just use a coil pin from the factory?

Buying the coil pins in bulk for use at the factory would not add any real expense to the gun. I bet you can get these for $0.05 each if bought in bulk.

But, it would make a huge difference in solving a known problem.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Here’s some steel coil pins you can buy in a pack of 50 for $10.50.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/91612a225

Interesting, that the description:
    “They remain flexible after installation, so they absorb shock and vibration better than slotted spring pins. They also have higher dynamic load capacities and accommodate wider hole tolerances than slotted spring pins.”

I like that coil pins absorb shock & vibration better than the split roll pin. I can’t understand why they don’t use these from the factory.

Top Bottom