Anyone still like Single Action revolvers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I picked up a used Ruger Blackhawk 357 stainless probably 10 years ago and had not fired it except for the one range visit shortly after buying it. It is a 1976 and has the "Liberty" roll mark on top of the barrel. In the last few years open sight were getting harder to see and even thought of selling the Blackhawk since it just sat in the safe.

Last month I finally decided to break out the Blackhawk and fired a few rounds at 15 yards and then one cylinder full at 25 yards. I'll have to say this is the mildest to shoot 357 that I have ever owned.

Anyone else still like shooting single actions?

View attachment 75268 View attachment 75269

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Out of all the handguns I own my 34yo son likes my Beretta Stampede in .45 LC the best.

It is fun to shoot but he can keep me in the poor house buying ammo.

I let him shoot it and I use my S&W 25-5. Alotta fun...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I recently picked up an Uberti in 45 lc and was re-acquainted with the goodness that is a SAA. Can't see the sights worth a darn though...

Have a couple others (41 mag Blackhawk and a Texas Longhorn Arms Modified#5 in 44 mag) that need to see the light of day....

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    In 1997 my wife and I started shooting cowboy action and we still shoot it. We have old model Vaqueros in 45 Colt. I shoot gunfighter class, one SA revolver in each hand. Lots of fun and pretty cool. My avatar is me at a cowboy match, several years ago. Enjoy those SA revolvers.

:draw:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Love shooting my Ruger’s as they are indestructible however my brace of Colts in 4 inch and Calvary models are a dream.as 45’s they perform well however I wish I had 4 more in 44 special

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have nine SA revolvers at the present and with any luck that will continue to grow because I really would like another 1872 Colt Opentop (reproduction), and another Colt Bisley (reproduction). Like Whip McCord, I shoot in Cowboy Action Shooting events. I strongly advise all of you to try it out. It is extremely fun and the folks are very friendly. I am a member of SASS and NCOWS. They are very much alike with the exception that NCOWS requires more authenticity. The matches will be starting this month. It costs about $15 per match to shoot. In most cases, all you will need to get into CAS is one pistol and one rifle.

But before you go out and buy stuff go to a match and see how it works and what others are shooting.

To play at the events I go to you will need one pistol caliber rifle and one single-action pistol. All firearms for adults have to be centerfire. Common calibers are .38/357, .45 Colt, .44-40, .44 Special/Magnum. BUT>>> all bullets have to be lead with no copper jackets and they have to be loaded at or below the black powder equivalent in velocity/power. Generally, pistol velocities are below 1,000 fps and rifles 1,400 fps. (Most folks use the same loads in pistol and rifle.) Reduced loads are fine because all we are doing is hitting a large steel target a few yards away.

Each match is generally made up of five stages, with ten rounds pistol, ten rifle, and two or more shotgun per stage. So a match can burn up 120 rounds plus 20 or so shotgun shells. If all you are using is one pistol and a rifle, it will be about 90 rounds for the match.

SASS matches, which I believe Whip is talking about happen all around the state. I shoot Classic Cowboy category so I have to dress that part, only use one hand to hold the pistol and use a rifle that was designed before 1880. (Reproductions are fine.)

If you want more information, ask here or PM me.

Here is an article I wrote last year: https://wildindiana.com/indianas-cowboy-action-shooting-are-you-game-enough/

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had one years ago and loved shooting it. I was thinking of getting a Vaquero in .357 a couple years ago but now I'm past the point of increasing my gun ownership. I'm on the downward path as far as number of guns I own.

I think they are a lot of fun! Reminds me of simpler times. Harder maybe, but simpler.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Yes I love my Rugers, Ive had a few. 41 mag, 357 mag three screws and a couple 1955 22 single actions , with flat gates. What I have left is a Blackhawk 44 mag and a Vaquero in 45

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have a few.

31143778_10216206861629855_7185277675420778496_n.jpg

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have a couple that I enjoy. FIE 22, Ruger Blackhawk 357 3 screw, and ruger Blackhawk 45 acp/ 45 colt. The single actions are fun to shoot. And being single action add a little fun in the range time over the double actions and auto pistols.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I have a 5.5" stainless Bisley Blackhawk Flat Top in .44 Special. 6.8 grains of Unique under a 250 grain Kieth type bullet is my go to load in this gun. I had to get a taller front sight from Ruger to get it to shoot to the sights. Happily this load also works well in my Rossi Model 92 carbine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom