• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a Browning Buckmark I bought off a member here awhile back: a good shooter.
    I've been eyeing this Hunter online at a LGS that I used to frequent before I moved to Wanamaker.
    It has the longer 7.25" barrel, but the $400 price put me off since I could buy a new one for $430.
    I bought it since I was able to be in the store today (to look at a SW 686), and I liked the proflile/storyline behind the gun and really wanted to try out the longer barrel to see if would outshoot my original Browning, or the Mark 4 or the Smith Victory.

I made a $300 offer, and got it for $325, which I expected. It had a scratch on it near the end of the barrel, but so does my other one.
    With the Weaver rail, gold trigger (nice color contrast) and barrel length, even if it doesn't outshoot my other one, I'll keep it anyway, just for the weight.
    Maybe the range tomorrow to compare the two.
    It would be hilarious if the shorter barrel shot better in my imperfect hands. :ugh:
    I believe this to be a better buy than when I was at ZR Tactical first today and held a Browning Black Label 1911 in my hand (2nd time, but different one), but I just can't get over how small they feel in my hand (they are 85% size).
    This was my reward for not buying it ($450), and/or the Smith 686 at the other place.

BUCKMARK HUNTER 22LR 7.25 AS HEAVY TAPERED ROUND BULL BBL
    Action single action
    Barrel 7.25"
    Finish Matte Blue
    Length 11.25"

Front Sight TruGlo Fiber Optic
    Rear Sight Pro-Target

Caliber 22 LR
    Capacity 10+1
    Magazine 1 / 10 rd.

Weight 38 oz
    Sight Radius 9 3/4"
    Trigger Finish Gold Plated

imperfect pic in the car since a friend wanted to see it NOW

oZgTwVO.jpg

muogqIT.jpg

WXdil1c.jpg

online pic:
    cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I've been pining for one of those for some time. I saw one at Cabela's on sale for $400 + $75 rebate from Browning. Should have done it, but sadly didn't.

Nice catch!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I like the Buckmark pistols, but not their price. Congrats on a nice find.

1. I know, there are some models I've always wanted, but haven't b/c of price and I can find others at a better price.

I've been pining for one of those for some time. I saw one at Cabela's on sale for $400 + $75 rebate from Browning. Should have done it, but sadly didn't.
    Nice catch!

2. Sometimes Cabela's will have a great price on something, just like Rural King: I've bought from both before b/c of it (S/W 642 .38 snubbie and S/W MP Compact .22LR).
    3. I was glad to get it at that price.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I have two Buckmarks - an older 5.5 Target and a newer Camper UFX. I've put a lot of 22's down range between the two of them and the are both are great shooters. I've never had an issue with either. I think they are the best 22 pistols out there and you can't go wrong be buying one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have two Buckmarks - an older 5.5 Target and a newer Camper UFX. I've put a lot of 22's down range between the two of them and the are both are great shooters. I've never had an issue with either. I think they are the best 22 pistols out there and you can't go wrong be buying one.

1. Good to know!
    2. This summer when I have more time, I hope to find out what the pecking order of accuracy (if any) is between my Buckmark, SW Victory, Ruger 4, Colt Target and others. I haven't really put many rounds through my Buckmark yet.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've always liked those, especially in that color scheme.

The longer barrel won't necessarily make it more accurate though. It'll allow a higher velocity bullet for sure.

Try various types of ammo and lets see what it likes to eat.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've always liked those, especially in that color scheme.
    The longer barrel won't necessarily make it more accurate though. It'll allow a higher velocity bullet for sure.
    Try various types of ammo and lets see what it likes to eat.
    Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

1. I have a few different types and keep track of such things when I find a brand that doesn't work (like M-22), so I never buy it again.
    2. And, something that isn't particularly recommended but seems to do well is the Remington Golden Bullets.
    3. They probably mean they don't do that well for accuracy, but fine for cycling.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have had many Buckmarks and love them. I find the balance is greatly improved with the longer barrels. I have a 7.25" Bullseye model which I have set up for pin shooting. With that heavy long barrel, it barely moves in recoil.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got to the range and did 20' & 30' with 7.25" & 5.5" barrel Brownings and a Smith Victory (thought I was taking the Smith 41 but grabbed wrong box. :dunno:
    The Browning Buckmark 5.5" barrel was hard to sight, the red on the front sight and white on the back didn't work for me.
    I'll either have to paint green over the front red sight or paint the white rear sight green or red or both.
    Usually a red front sight works well for me, but not in this case.
    It was good to shoot .22LRs again.
    I did shoot the upgraded CZ Shadow 2 at the range tonight also (on another thread).

7.25 barrel got more in the center Red (14, total in 2 targets) against the 5.5" barrel (11 total in 2 targets), but the Smith Victory beat both in just any 1 target (9 vs 8)
    JvCLZGB.jpg

Smith Victory wins in the best 1 Red target again (10 vs 8 & 7).
    In total of both targets in the 7.25 & 5.5 inch barrels its was 19 vs 18 with the 7.25" having the edge.
    yIR4uPd.jpg

Xterminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    My son job at bought the exact same model brand new 420 out the door. LGS had it last year , I almost bought it but went with buckmark contour. My son getting into.22 & sure enough they still had it. That gun is a great shooter. I love the grips but not a big fan of mag release,,small price to pay for great gun..good luck

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My son job at bought the exact same model brand new 420 out the door. LGS had it last year , I almost bought it but went with buckmark contour. My son getting into.22 & sure enough they still had it. That gun is a great shooter. I love the grips but not a big fan of mag release,,small price to pay for great gun..good luck

1. $430 is the new price at a LGS when I buy new, that has the best prices of anywhere I know: the % of mark up is less there. but you did great getting new at that price out the door.
    2. When buying a used gun I try paying 75% of new price ($430 + $30 tax = $460) is where I like to target = $325, even if I have to put up with a scratch.
    3. You are so right the mag release is small; it makes me appreciate the mag release on some of my other guns.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Gary, if you'll look on RimfireCentral in the Browning forums they talk about a Heggis flip on a trigger spring that may improve your trigger. Oversized mag release info may be found over there as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gary, if you'll look on RimfireCentral in the Browning forums they talk about a Heggis flip on a trigger spring that may improve your trigger. Oversized mag release info may be found over there as well.

Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup:
    I'm not going to do anything to it for now since I don't know if it will make the cut this summer after retirement when I aim to reduce my .22LR stock.
    I did have someone say they wanted to buy my 5.5" barrel last evening since they knew I was selling it to make way for the 7" barrel.
    It was picked up this pm: SOLD.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What goes around, comes around, as the saying goes.
    Another approach for an introduction to this piece is: Ever sell a gun that you wish you'd have kept?
    Since I went on a "trimming" frenzy when I retired, I did exactly that.

I was contacted by a member that I've bought/sold from.
    He asked about a gun he knew I'd bought recently: Ruger Mark 4 Target.
    He wanted to know if I was going to be selling it soon (it happens). :)
    I hadn't had it long enough to be done playing with it, but I bought a couple of bucket list guns recently and needed the cash.
    I wouldn't have bought the Ruger if I'd known that I'd be buying a Beretta 87 Target.

I met at Point Blank in Greenwood for the exchange.
    I put his money in my pocket & he put my gun into his trunk.

We talked about all things guns (and cars): he has the prettiest red 2002 'Vette I've ever seen.
    I mentioned to him that when he first contacted me the other day, he had mentioned he had my old Browning Buckmark Hunter 7.25 barrel.
    I had thought about asking if he wanted to do a trade, but decided to be a good boy and take the money & run b/c of recent purchases.
    It just happened to be in his trunk.

Somehow the cash deal turned into a trade & somehow I ended up taking his money out of my pocket & somehow he went over to his trunk & took out the Hunter & somehow it got put into my trunk. :laugh:
    I ended up getting a gun back that I wish I'd not sold.
    I didn't even sell the gun to him originally, but to someone else that he bought it off of.
    He recognized the scratch on the left side at the end of the barrel & knew it was mine since he saw it for sale but someone beat him to it.

The other caveat to this story is that he tried to buy this same Mark 4 Target when he saw the ad, but I'd beat him to it by an accident b/c his pm to him somehow didn't get sent by mistake. :dunno:
    Sound fair to say that God intended for him to have that gun (or that's what we tell our wives!).

It shot even better than I remember.
    Now I've got to sell the Browning Buckmark Camper Target with a 5.5 OEM barrel & a Tactical Solutions 4" barrel with a flat trigger to pay for it. :(
    The fun just never stops.

oZgTwVO.jpg

muogqIT.jpg

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    "Don't tell Mare". If you don't know what this means, you should watch Demolition Ranch on YouTube. LOL

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried to put this old RWS scope that came on my SW 41 on the Beretta 87 but the rings that came with it weren't big enough to fit on its Weaver rail so I put on a used Nikon handgun scope I bought a year ago that had wider rings with it.
    I found some rings that had came on my Ruger 10/22 before I changed them out and they worked with the Weaver rail.
    Hopefully I'll get to the range, dial it in and see how it improves my accuracy with the Hunter.
    I had my Bushnell TRS-25 on the Hunter before I sold it & it was great, but I put it on the SW 41.

f8uvkU1.jpg
    wT2E61n.jpg

Top Bottom