• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    When I heard about the CMP getting 1911's I knew I had to take a shot. I got lucky and got an RNG lottery number in the low 3200's. I got the call and took possession of this a few weeks ago.
    Service Grade
    early 1944 Colt Frame (based on inspector marks --GHD--and SN 1609xxx) with SA stamp
    Remington Rand Slide
    Late grips
    Barrel is a mystery. Has M P mark (assuming Magnaflux/proof) on one side of lug and HEC on other. --any help here would be appreciated--
    Appears to have not been issued after re-arsenal/refurbish as the parkerizing has just handling marks and shows very little frame-to-slide wear.
    And since pics are a must (sorry for the junk photos, only had the GoPro handy)

Overall I am very happy, this process tested my patience, but it was exciting.

Attachments

• InkedGOPR1293_LI.jpg
      InkedGOPR1293_LI.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 143
    • GOPR1295.jpg
      GOPR1295.jpg
      552.5 KB · Views: 104
    • GOPR1296.jpg
      GOPR1296.jpg
      590.7 KB · Views: 124
    • GOPR1305.jpg
      GOPR1305.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 125
    • GOPR1298.jpg
      GOPR1298.jpg
      779.9 KB · Views: 124
    • InkedGOPR1294_LI.jpg
      InkedGOPR1294_LI.jpg
      738.1 KB · Views: 135

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Lucky you.
    I sent my packet in and haven't heard or seen boo from them.
    Pretty much figured I messed up something on the paperwork and they threw it out.
    I know my friend just got his number this week and he was very close to 18000. I figure if I get one, I won't see anything for years.
    Glad someone is getting them and giving them good homes.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If your barrel is chrome lined it is likely a 1970s or 80s replacement. Might have the number 7791193 with a date code on the barrel hood.

Edit to add, thanks for pics. Seriously jealous here.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sorry not much help on nomenclature for you but I have worked on a bunch of these when I went thru armorer's school in Aberdeen during my Guard years and again later in the Navy. I still remember the old dudes teaching us how to diagnose malfs when one had a worn seat and went went full auto on our in-house range. What a hoot!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am seriously jelly Hugger! I have number 15,769. That is a great catch you got there.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Thanks for all the positive comments. Seems there is a very divided line on these. One side wants one, the other side has a million opinions about why they suck...(price, condition, other options avail, process, ect..) but for me it was a chance to get one direct, that up until now, could have easily been pulled and put into service (should the need have arisen). Kind of wow factor involved in not knowing the actual history, but knowing (or rather assuming) the potential history is great.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Pretty darn cool! I'd love to have one, but no cash, but nice to see them back from the limbo they have been in for years! Please tell us you will shoot it, and let us know how it does.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thanks for all the positive comments. Seems there is a very divided line on these. One side wants one, the other side has a million opinions about why they suck...(price, condition, other options avail, process, ect..) but for me it was a chance to get one direct, that up until now, could have easily been pulled and put into service (should the need have arisen). Kind of wow factor involved in not knowing the actual history, but knowing (or rather assuming) the potential history is great.

It's just my opinion, but I think too many people get too easily bent out of shape over everything and the debate about these pistols is an example of it.

I didn't attempt to purchase one, I thought the price was too high for the luck of the draw on what would certainly be a reworked pistol when I already own a nice Army issue 1911. However, that is merely a combination of factors that influenced my personal decision. It does not mean that the pistols available suck, or that they aren't worth it, or any of the other nonsense that gets tossed around. I don't really understand why people think the factors that contribute to their own decisions somehow become some universal law that applies to everybody else.

That is a very nice and extremely interesting pistol that you have there! The fact that it was in the service for so long is absolute amazing. The things like mixed parts from different manufacturers and being refinished are a testament to that long proud service. I think it is awesome, thanks for sharing it!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Congrats! I couldn't personally justify the cost and elected not to try and get one, but it is an awesome thing to have for those who could. Like you say, the potential history of the pistol is a big part of owning it.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Thank you for sharing, and especially the pics. I was on active duty from 83-87, and hold a fondness for those pistols. Congratulations for getting what looks like a nicer sample than anything I was ever issued!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Looks great! Just like the pistols I carried and fired expert with every year of my service (until the Barretta was fielded, I still fired expert but the groups were not as tight and my confidence in the round was less). I'll be getting into the mix as soon as I have time...

Once again, great acquisition.

dalewis

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Awesome. How long did it take for you to get your trophy after you received your number? Just wondering since I am 6214, but haven't heard from CMP in over a month.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Awesome. How long did it take for you to get your trophy after you received your number? Just wondering since I am 6214, but haven't heard from CMP in over a month.

Sent packet mid open period.
    10 December: got RNG via email
    12 February: notified of FFL missing (I had my FFL fax it in at packet, I called they sent it in again, follow up email within hour that all was ok)
    12 February: got the call for CC about 1700h
    25 February: shipping confirm via email
    26 February: FFL call early morning (before they even opened) telling me it was in.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Way better example than I was ever issued!
    I think that this first batch must have all been though refurb from the pictures witnessed on the inter webs?
    Did the Army send all of them to refurb before storage?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Very, very cool piece of history, congrats on the score! I'd love to have one but I've never ordered from the CMP and didn't figure my chances were very good so I opted not to mess with it. An issues 1911 is on my list of "some day a deal will come along" guns, yours is a beauty. I (not so fondly) recall nights spend sitting in the armory in South Korea listening to Russian radio stations (which I couldn't understand) and looking at the boxes full of these before they were shipped out. We had recently fielded the Berettas and I recall listening to the officers howl about how bad they hated them.

Top Bottom