• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bought a Monson built Dan Wesson .22LR 6 shot revolver.
    It has an 8” vented heavy barrel with the gun weighing 54 oz.
    Smooth trigger pull of 7# DA and 4# SA claimed by the seller, who is a member here.
    I’ll be able to have the fun of checking it myself when I get my Wheeler Electronic Digital Trigger Pull Gauge that been shipped.
    The cylinder locks up nice and tight.
    The bluing is still in great shape.
    It does not have the box, but does include the tools to disassemble and adjust the barrel.

I did a short test against my Taurus 990 4" barrel & Ruger GP100 5.5" barrel.
    They will be sold.
    I wanted only 1 .22LR revolver and the Dan Wesson made it an easy decision.
    I am thrilled to have stumbled across this.

WdrA0up.jpg

30' with the Dan Wesson on top with D/A and in the middle with S/A.
    The bottom right is the Taurus 990 in S/A.
    The bottom left is the Ruger GP100 in S/A. Ruger beats Taurus (since I adjusted the sights a little).
    hCAxh9J.jpg

Head: S/A with DW
    Torso: D/A with DW, and I shot better in D/A, go figure.
    The bottom six little targets:
    middle two = DW = clear winner
    right side two = Taurus 990 = barely edged out the GP100 by 1 round
    left side two = Ruger GP100
    ZhrguT6.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sweet!!!

When you get the trigger gauge remember that where you place it on the trigger makes a large difference in observed pull weights.

Due to leverage, close to the top will increase the reading and toward the bottom tip will decrease the reading.

Take the reading from the middle of the trigger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've shot that gun. It's a beauty.

Make sure you have a good cleaner for the carbon on the exterior that is BLUING SAFE!!!

I shot it when I had a 4" Dan Wesson around the same time he bought this, never dreaming it would be mine someday.
    He wanted a shorter barrel but I thought the 8" was stunning!

Thanks for the tip: I'll be sure to do exactly that!. :thumbsup:

Wurqd5Z.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice looking revolver. I've been thinking about buying a .22 as my first revolver, just haven't decided on which one yet.

I've sold all of mine off in the past year and only have the 2 left.
    Some of my older H&R .22LRs were the most accurate.
    Having owned or shot nearly all the .22 brands out there, it really makes me appreciate this 8".
    I had a 4" DW last summer for a little while, but this 8" is out-shooting it by far.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sweet!!!

When you get the trigger gauge remember that where you place it on the trigger makes a large difference in observed pull weights.

Due to leverage, close to the top will increase the reading and toward the bottom tip will decrease the reading.

Take the reading from the middle of the trigger.

I watched several vids showing how they would do it and the variance in the range was amazing which is why I bought the one I did hoping to get one with a 1# instead of a 2# variance.
    Sounds like I'll throw out the lightest and heaviest and average the rest.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You have a beauty there.

The only recurrent problems I have seen with them over the years is with reassembly.

Some people will over torque the grip screw where it will interfere with the mainspring guide and prevent it from locking in single action.

Either a washer or taking a little off the tip of the grip screw will fix it, but it does make the owners run in circles until it is fixed...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is nice! Are you sure you don't to hang on to the Ruger? It's a nice gun also. Do you think there might be times when you want to have a shorter barrel with you? Would you ever carry it on you to go out plinking? 8" is a lot to carry on a hip. I know, I carry 8"...oh, never mind.:)

I would suspect that the accuracy differences are due to the shooter being able to take advantage of the extra barrel length and not necessarily that the DW is "more accurate".

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That is nice! Are you sure you don't to hang on to the Ruger? It's a nice gun also. Do you think there might be times when you want to have a shorter barrel with you? Would you ever carry it on you to go out plinking? 8" is a lot to carry on a hip. I know, I carry 8"...oh, never mind.:)

I would suspect that the accuracy differences are due to the shooter being able to take advantage of the extra barrel length and not necessarily that the DW is "more accurate".

Good point about keeping 1 of the other 2 revolvers.
    But, I never will carry any .22 in a holster, so not for that reason.
    I assumed it was the longer barrel and perhaps weight that helped me shoot better.
    I had a Dan Wesson 4” months ago that didn’t shoot any better than what I had so I didn’t keep it.
    I don’t shoot the 22 revolvers much lately which is why I thought I would keep just 1.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is probably a combination of things that are benefiting you.

It’s a very stable revolver, at least until your arms get tired. It has a very smooth action. It has a very long sight radius.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    What a Beast of a 22 revolver! Impressive DW and rarely ever seen in that configuration.

I hope to be able to sight in my Taurus 96 22lr revolver with Vortex Venom this weekend.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is probably a combination of things that are benefiting you.

It’s a very stable revolver, at least until your arms get tired. It has a very smooth action. It has a very long sight radius.

Probably that the muzzle is like 5 feet closer to the target than his other 22 revolvers .. :stickpoke:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Be careful. Your 22 DW will lead to 357 and 44 DW's

The seller did warn my about that!

What a Beast of a 22 revolver! Impressive DW and rarely ever seen in that configuration.

I thought so also!

Probably that the muzzle is like 5 feet closer to the target than his other 22 revolvers .. :stickpoke:

Now that was funny! :lmfao:

I don't know what I would do if I only had one .22 revolver...Cry I guess...Mope around....Feel sorry for myself...Get ragged on by Kirk Freeman....
    You're a very courageous man to sally forth with just one .22 revolver.....

I'm not there yet. I might keep the Ruger so I can have two, but the Taurus will be the first to go, whenever I get around to it: no hurry.

Top Bottom