• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    Was watching a few youtube videos and this thought popped into my head so here goes....

Everyone says to put 500 to 1000 rounds down range and you will notice everything "smooths out" in your new gun. Will dry fire do the same thing or is it the force of real recoil that "smooths" things out? If someone was bored couldn't they just work the slide 1000 times or dry fire a revolver 1000 times and accomplish the same result?

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Dry fire for many guns is just as effective.

For some, however, it does create some wear and tear that real firing doesn't. Polymer CZs for example are known to have had firing pin crosspin (forget the actual name) wear out and even break from lots of DA dry fires. The CGW pin and I believe the current CZ pin have better geometry that fixes this.

If you are wanting to smooth out the trigger, dry fire works just as well.

Some things like feed reliability and such obviously require real ammo to burnish in and "de-green."

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Probably could get close. Slide needs to "slam" forward on a tight gun to create the initial wear pattern between barrel and bushing, would want to use dummy rounds so slide did not slam forward harder than it would normally.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    AVON
    I put a snap cap in my glock. Rack the slide enough to reset it, then fire. Takes a little longer than just shooting ammo, but a lot cheaper. Did help smooth out the trigger.

Top Bottom