• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was firing my Beretta M9-.22LR I bought months ago.
    Only had it to the range a couple of times and have only put 3-4 boxes of ammo through it.
    I noticed tonight when I put 3 magazines through it that the slide stop/slide lock/slide release) would lock back like all the rounds had been expended, but they weren't.
    I simply pulled back the slide quickly releasing it to advance the next round waiting to chamber. (I was told not to use the slide stop as a slide release, and have read the same doing research about which is correct, with some debate about that point).
    The previous fired round had ejected fine.
    It did this for 3 rounds of the 15 that is in a magazine, then 4 rounds, then 5 rounds per magazine.
    I seemed to get 1 round worse with each magazine.
    I was using CCI Mini-Mags, 1235 FPS, 40 grain, copper coated round nose rounds.
    I could take different brands of ammo to try but CCI has always been my best brand in nearly every case of handgun.

Strange.
    Does it just need a cleaning and oiled up?
    It doesn't like the CCI Mini-Mags?
    Anyone had this problem with a .22LR and/or can this be an issue with any semi-automatic?
    Never had this problem before.

What say ye?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Could be the slide stop is dirty. Or bent. I'd start by disassembling it and giving it a good cleaning. Inspect the slide stop and see if it looks damaged or warped in any way.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Not sure why it would get worse but just a suggestion and what ive seen in the Military and my current agency that uses Beretta. If you are right handed and utilize a thumbs forward grip (all the rage these days)

A lot of shooters end up having a thumb bump the slide stop causing it to lock open with rounds still in it or also causing the slide to go forward after the last round I stead of locking open.

Just some things I have seen.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Could be the slide stop is dirty. Or bent. I'd start by disassembling it and giving it a good cleaning. Inspect the slide stop and see if it looks damaged or warped in any way.

Just finished cleaning and inspecting.
    The slide stop looks correct (straight and even) and I saw nothing out of the ordinary.
    I will give it another try Sat. or next week sometime using different ammo, but I doubt ammo has anything to do with it.

Not sure why it would get worse but just a suggestion and what ive seen in the Military and my current agency that uses Beretta. If you are right handed and utilize a thumbs forward grip (all the rage these days)
    A lot of shooters end up having a thumb bump the slide stop causing it to lock open with rounds still in it or also causing the slide to go forward after the last round I stead of locking open.
    Just some things I have seen.

I do not use a thumbs forward grip.
    My left thumb is actually holding down my right thumb so it is nowhere near the slide or slide stop.

Thanks for your input guys! :thumbsup:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Is it the same mag or does the issue carry over to every mag?
    Remember to number your mags for identification in case problems do pop up.
    .22lr is nasty. All of it. Your gun will dirty up quick. Keep it clean.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is it the same mag or does the issue carry over to every mag?
    Remember to number your mags for identification in case problems do pop up.
    .22lr is nasty. All of it. Your gun will dirty up quick. Keep it clean.

Only one 15 round mag came with it.
    Good point about numbering mags: I did mark them with a gun I was having an issue with.
    Yes, my stainless steel .22s really show the dirt.
    I can't wait to get back to the range and see if the cleaning remedied the situation.
    I have not had this problem with any of my other semi-autos, so it is curious. :scratch:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve seen it happen before with 22s (and other calibers too!).

Some guns aren’t sprung for Mini-mags or other HV rounds. If cleaning it doesn’t resolve it, try some SV ammo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve seen it happen before with 22s (and other calibers too!).

Some guns aren’t sprung for Mini-mags or other HV rounds. If cleaning it doesn’t resolve it, try some SV ammo.

Bingo! That's what I was thinking, but after reading what the manual suggested to use (CCI Mini-Mags mentioned) and how others (online) said theirs ate anything they feed it (bet they didn't try the M-22), I don't want to hope too much.
    I am taking 6 different brands of ammo with me this am as soon as they open to see if that is the missing ingredient.
    The wife just left for a seminar so I get to run wild today.
    I would go visit a couple of LGSs but I spent my money already on another, and I have to sell something to replenish the money flow. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went back to the range today after cleaning the Beretta M9-22 last night and took different brands of ammo with me to test.
    First, I used CCI Standard Velocity (1075 FPS, I think): worked perfectly.
    Second, I used Remington Golden Bullets: worked perfectly.
    Thirdly, I used the CCI Mini-Mags, 1280 FPS, that I had the trouble yesterday with: worked perfectly.

I didn't even bother to use some Winchester rounds that I had brought, I was convinced that it just needed a little love.
    I haven't shot the gun much, and assumed the seller had cleaned it up before selling (like I do), but apparently he had not.
    That was back when I assumed a new gun was ready to go to the range (a CZ Rami and Sig P365 needed lubed before working perfectly), and had learned that before I take any gun to the range, I take it apart and see if it is lubed first.
    The Bersa TPR9c that I bought new a month ago, when I took it apart, it was lubed just fine and I didn't need to do any extra with it.
    I would think that CZ and Sig Sauer would lube up their new guns at least to the level the humble Bersa did, but apparently not.

Top Bottom