• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    Ended up buying one of these at the 1500 over the weekend and had it at the range today. Was amazing to shoot. Have always wanted a M9, but could never convince myself of the price, this being half the price was just right.

Read a little history concerning the firearm and has a cool backstory to it.

Anyone else have one? Likes/dislikes?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Was one of the only Taurus guns that was almost worth something. It worked most of the time, but still vacationed in South FL. A couple of times. Maybe it missed the sunshine?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a 99 (same gun with adjustable sights). Had it since the early 90s. Mine is the safety only model before they started putting decockers in them. I had it Black-T coated shortly after I bought it and a set of Pachmayr grips so it looks pretty much like a Beretta. It lives in the safe as I long ago switched to polymer, striker fired guns for carry.

The 92/99 at least from years ago are well built, highly functional guns.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The only one I’ve had any experience with is as accurate and comfortable of any 9mm handgun I’ve fired. Not bragging, but myself and the owner of the gun were shooting our initials on a target 25’ out. It’s an older gun, maybe early 2000s, and the owner has had it (second hand) for probably 10 years. If you enjoy it, and shoot it well, pay no mind to the anti taurus folks, who WILL be swarming to this thread.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 99 (same gun with adjustable sights). Had it since the early 90s. Mine is the safety only model before they started putting decockers in them. I had it Black-T coated shortly after I bought it and a set of Pachmayr grips so it looks pretty much like a Beretta...

The 92/99 at least from years ago are well built, highly functional guns.

This much could be a direct quote from me.
    I also have a late model PT99, mine's been Cerakoted, and yes, it is built like a tank.
    Never skipped a beat, and has never failed to spit out anything I've fed it.

I just don't carry it because a full size steel frame is bad enough. Add in 17 rounds of 9mm Luger and you're dragging around some weight.
    I do love my 99.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The reliability of the Beretta series 92 at roughly half the price and with a safety on the frame. What's not to like! ENJOY!!!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I love my AFS version of your gun. Love it even more cuz it only cost me $225. I have been burning up a lot of 9mm ammo though, but that just keeps a smile on my face...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, I bought a PT-99AF way back late '80's, maybe early '90's. I polished the feed ramp after it choked on some very wide mouth hollow points when I 1st got it. It's been flawless since. I even shot it at Camp Atterbury last year and it ran through 100+ rounds easily and accurately.

I even have a 22Lr kit for it that has been flawless too.

I wouldn't mind finding another beat up pre-decocker and having it coated.

They are fantastic.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    Thanks for all the replies! I figured there would be a little hate towards it, happy most of you enjoy them and have had good experiences!

Going back to the range with a buddy Thursday who wants to shoot it.

Any OWB holster recommendations?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have an early AFD PT-99. First 9mm I purchased, and I've been happy with the pick.

I just couldn't stand the slide mounted safety of the Beretta, or the price.

The only hiccup with mine has been a broken rear sight blade, but a forum member bailed me out by identifying a replacement.

My favorite center fire pistol to start a new shooter on.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had a pt92 since the mid 90's I'd guess. Bought it at walmart if that gives you any idea how old it is. It's always treated me well.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have never owned one, however, I have been able to shoot a few during the 1990's when they were popular, and enjoyed shooting them.
    Enjoy yours, even though I am a Glockaholic, a Taurus "TRUNK GUN" would be OK.

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    I have never owned one, however, I have been able to shoot a few during the 1990's when they were popular, and enjoyed shooting them.
    Enjoy yours, even though I am a Glockaholic, a Taurus "TRUNK GUN" would be OK.

I too am a Glockaholic! G19 or G43 is my EDC. Looking forward to shooting it more, headed to range today with a buddy who wants to give it a try.

redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Bought one two years ago on a Black Friday special for $325. Could not afford a beretta, but this thing is very smooth. Nephews (15 & 13) came with me to the range over Christmas and they loved it. Quite accurate and low recoil. Buy the aftermarket mags, factory mags are not very good. You will enjoy this weapon!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    My first pistol was a full size non-decocker. Sold it, and got a 92C, the compact version. Looked like this one;

pt92c_zpsrf9gjukp.jpg

Wish I hadn't sold it.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I bought it as a substitute for the M9. I was in the Army at the time, and when we switched from the 1911, M-9s were sky high. I am handing it down to my grandson--eventually...

Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    My dad used to have one years ago, seemed to work well enough and the position of the safety was actually better than the 92 in my opinion. I'm curious as too how much they run? Seems like the Berettas themselves aren't too much anymore. Bud's has 92 Compacts new for $450 and I've seen a few fullsize 92s and M9s for $400-$450.

Top Bottom