• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zz47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Connersville
    My Nephew is looking to buy a Model 60 .357 Magnum with at least a 3” barrel. I’m trying to talk him out of it reason because weight and bulky ness. I’m trying to talk him into an Ladysmith or something lighter.What do you all think? I know it’s his money. Maybe you all can shed some light for him.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Go to a local range with something similar to rent. Outside of something completely negligent, not only is it his money, it's his opinion. I would say a model 60 is fine to carry. People carry a wide variety of guns.. :twocents:

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Personally, I’d rather carry the weight of a Model 60 than have the recoil of any of the airweight models. Actually, I’d carry a lot of heavier options before an airweight model.

A 3” Model 60 is only 23oz, that’s not much different than the polymer frames carry choices that are currently popular.

+1 to cookie’s response of renting and trying if he can.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I carry a Mod 60 w/3 in barrel often. The M60 is a J frame, 5 shot which makes it smaller but handles the recoil much better than a lot of polymer guns. A .357 may be fired with .38 special for target fun with much less recoil and cost. Can you tell I am a wheel fan?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    My Nephew is looking to buy a Model 60 .357 Magnum with at least a 3” barrel. I’m trying to talk him out of it reason because weight and bulky ness. I’m trying to talk him into an Ladysmith or something lighter.What do you all think? I know it’s his money. Maybe you all can shed some light for him.

Is this his first gun? How much experience does he have? An airweight, or lighter, J frame is not a beginners gun. They're not difficult to learn, but aren't ideal for someone that's starting out.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Personally, I’d rather carry the weight of a Model 60 than have the recoil of any of the airweight models. Actually, I’d carry a lot of heavier options before an airweight model.

This. I have had two airweights and have gotten rid of them because they were difficult/unpleasant to shoot.

If he is deadset on having a small lighter-weight .357, look into the Ruger LCR in .357. Still not pleasant to shoot .357 loads with it, but better than an airweight or a Ladysmith.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd tell your nephew to ignore you and go ahead and get the 3" Model 60. Airweights suck. A good steel frame revolver is much more pleasant to shoot, and the 3" barrel ensures that a .357 round gets enough velocity to actually act like a magnum round. Ballistics out of a 2" revolver with .357 are little better than a compact 9mm +P with most loads. Depending on carry mode, a 5 shot revolver with a 3" barrel should be fairly easy to conceal.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I carry a Model 60 as easy as most anything and echo the comments about the unpleasantness of a 357 airweight. They can be a lot of fun but not something I want to train with regularly.

The Model 60 is an all day shooter.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I'd tell your nephew to ignore you and go ahead and get the 3" Model 60. Airweights suck. A good steel frame revolver is much more pleasant to shoot, and the 3" barrel ensures that a .357 round gets enough velocity to actually act like a magnum round. Ballistics out of a 2" revolver with .357 are little better than a compact 9mm +P with most loads. Depending on carry mode, a 5 shot revolver with a 3" barrel should be fairly easy to conceal.
    :+1:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'll echo what others have said. The model 60 is an excellent gun, both for range shooting and for carry.

No offense OP, but you sound a lot like the guys that buy an Airweight for their 100 lb. wives because "they have small hands" and then wonder why the woman hates shooting it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Carried a 640 for a few years, and it was as natural as wearing a watch. It was the 2-1/4" barrel, but it made for a great carry piece, and while a little stout with 357, it was quite pleasant with 38+P.

As others have said, Just say NO to Airweights! It's like firing off a round using a pair of pliers, but with a slightly better grip.

I've always liked this model 60 (Performance Center), which is still a J-Frame and has the 3" barrel.

178013_01_lg_0_0_0.jpg

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't mind the Airweight models.. then again I haven't had a chance to run a .357 variant; but the SO's 638 isn't bad at all, even running +P's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't mind the Airweight models.. then again I haven't had a chance to run a .357 variant; but the SO's 638 isn't bad at all, even running +P's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't mind them, I have a few. But I've carried and shot them for 20+ years as well. They are great, IF you know their limitations and characteristics. People like to get them because they are light and nice to play with in the gun shop. It's that first trip to the range for the uninitiated that sours people on them real quick if they don't know what to expect.

I'd love to have a 640PC but it's so hard to justify the cost when you already have a 642 & 442. I would not get rid of my airweights for a steel frame, I'd rather add the 640PC.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I love my 3 inch model 60, BEMike is a big fan as well.....It's like a mini L frame and cute as a button and accurate as all get out...

rimg.php

rimg.php

Last edited:
    Top Bottom