• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was at an outdoor range in Columbus, IN with a member shooting steel, but took out time for some targets.

I was using gmcttr's CZ P-01.
    This pic show head shots at 20' and torso at 50'.
    The bottom 2 pics are his Shadow 2 (stock) on the left which shot better in my hands than my Shadow 2 on the right that was SOA, flat trigger, lighter springs, polished and a 10x bushing.
    As you can see all that work did nothing in my hands b/c I shot his stock Shadow 2 better than my upgraded Shadow 2. :dunno:
    Lesson learned. I am the weak link in all this but I was not happy at this reality feedback. :wallbash:
    Stock Shadow 2 = 10
    upgraded Shadow 2 = 6 (maybe 7)
    85piBVZ.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...As you can see all that work did nothing in my hands b/c I shot his stock Shadow 2 better than my upgraded Shadow 2. :dunno:
    Lesson learned. I am the weak link in all this but I was not happy at this reality feedback. :wallbash:
    Stock Shadow 2 = 10
    upgraded Shadow 2 = 6 (maybe 7)...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone knows Black Shadow 2's with blue grips shoot better than Gray Shadow 2's. :p

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone knows Black Shadow 2's with blue grips shoot better than Gray Shadow 2's. :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I had a chance to buy a member's blue handle twice (T-DOGG, I think), before and after he upgraded it: should have bought it!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The real lesson here is you obviously need a new and better CZ to make up for this deficiency, the Tactical Sport Orange is the answer you seek :rockwoot:

lMDk0ZB.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The real lesson here is you obviously need a new and better CZ to make up for this deficiency, the Tactical Sport Orange is the answer you seek :rockwoot:

lMDk0ZB.jpg

The reason I was able to buy my Shadow 2 was b/c the seller was in the shop where he had bought it new and there was one of these babies there on sale new for a price he couldn't say no to.
    I've shot this model at the range with a member. Sweeeeet gun!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Because 3k is more than what I would have to pay for both of them brand new :laugh:

I know it's overpriced... joke... guess I should have put that in purple. And @doddg would never spring for both of those at the same time anyway (nor would I for that matter).

Went back and put it in purple.

Though it does look like he marked it sold now...

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know it's overpriced... joke... guess I should have put that in purple. And @doddg would never spring for both of those at the same time anyway.
    Went back and put it in purple.
    Though it does look like he marked it sold now...

I have looked at it 3 times and was puzzled as to the price waiting for the "dream price" to come down: it certainly isn't a "you got to have it at this price."
    I wonder what he came down to?

I wanted to buy a PCR for $425 last week in our Classifieds but it was SPF in minutes: my idea of a good value for that model.
    I'm spoiled. I bought a CZ P-10 and P-09 for $350 and $400 (don't remember which I got for the lower price), and they were LNIB condition.
    And, the Shadow 2 I bought it last summer for $950 and that was the cheapest of anything I saw (but in the hated Urban Grey color :().
    Loved them, but no comparison to the Shadow 2.

Someday, I'm going to wish I could have kept all the CZs I've had since last summer:
    1. Rami
    2. 75 Omega (36 oz)
    3. SP-01 Tactical (41 oz)
    4. Shadow 2 (48 oz)
    5. P-09
    6. P-10

I'm waiting to get a PCR or one that size/weight (P-01, I think) when the price is right to keep as a possible bigger CC when the occasion/circumstances warrants.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have looked at it 3 times and was puzzled as to the price waiting for the "dream price" to come down: it certainly isn't a "you got to have it at this price."
    I wonder what he came down to?

I wanted to buy a PCR for $425 last week in our Classifieds but it was SPF in minutes: my idea of a good value for that model.
    I'm spoiled. I bought a CZ P-10 and P-09 for $350 and $400 (don't remember which I got for the lower price), and they were LNIB condition.
    And, the Shadow 2 I bought it last summer for $950 and that was the cheapest of anything I saw (but in the hated Urban Grey color :().
    Loved them, but no comparison to the Shadow 2.

Someday, I'm going to wish I could have kept all the CZs I've had since last summer:
    1. Rami
    2. 75 Omega (36 oz)
    3. SP-01 Tactical (41 oz)
    4. Shadow 2 (48 oz)
    5. P-09
    6. P-10

I'm waiting to get a PCR or one that size/weight (P-01, I think) when the price is right to keep as a possible bigger CC when the occasion/circumstances warrants.

Still will say, though it will be more money into that gun, if you hate the color but will keep that gun, contact AllenM or one of your other contacts (I believe you have done some business with ZR Tactical, etc) and have them Cerakote it. Cerakote will wear if you are carrying the gun in kydex or doing a ton of drawing from a kydex holster, etc, but I don't see that happening with your use of that gun (and most any finish will wear from that -- even the much daunted Glock finish/metal treatments).

You can also get some interesting colors going with Cerakote if you choose to do so.

https://www.cerakote.com/

Allen does some fine work (gunsmithing, cerakoting, and auto collision repair... it is just in his DNA to do great work), and I along with many others here have had stellar experiences with him, and recommend him highly.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Still will say, though it will be more money into that gun, if you hate the color but will keep that gun, contact AllenM or one of your other contacts (I believe you have done some business with ZR Tactical, etc) and have them Cerakote it. Cerakote will wear if you are carrying the gun in kydex or doing a ton of drawing from a kydex holster, etc, but I don't see that happening with your use of that gun (and most any finish will wear from that -- even the much daunted Glock finish/metal treatments).
    You can also get some interesting colors going with Cerakote if you choose to do so.
    https://www.cerakote.com/
    Allen does some fine work (gunsmithing, cerakoting, and auto collision repair... it is just in his DNA to do great work), and I along with many others here have had stellar experiences with him, and recommend him highly.

Interesting. I would have to buy the blue handles in addition, and ad the cost of the cerakoting, I think I would just sell what I've got and start over.
    Probably just end up keeping what I've got since it has been upgraded some (love the flat trigger).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been looking for a CZ P-07 for weeks now, but the ones I've seen were priced higher than what I could buy new.
    I was looking for a rival for my other compact that is my possible "larger" carry gun and having the DA/SA and a decocker fits my liking for safety.
    Found one, picking it up tomorrow and hope to shoot it after I drive back from Ft. Wayne (nice to be on vacation).

p07_zpsk6jue7ah.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As you can see all that work did nothing in my hands b/c I shot his stock Shadow 2 better than my upgraded Shadow 2. :dunno:

Just about any factory pistol made will be better than an average or novice shooter. Modifying, fine tuning, accurizing, whatever, is more about tinkering with something than it is to improve your ability. A person has to put a LOT of rounds downrange through a given firearm before they will reach the limitations with it.

Trigger work early on I can see since you may as well start out with the feel so as you train you will be familiar with the break. Otherwise you will train and get used to the factory trigger and then have to work through a second learning curve when you change it.

Put that factory CZ in Rob Leatham's hands and he will out shoot any of us on this forum no matter how much you customize a pistol.

It's been said many times that it is the operator, not the equipment.

One of my philosophies is that I don't ever want the equipment to be my limiter, just me. And that is whether I'm talking about a bicycle, power tool or firearm. Which is why my firearms are mostly factory and my bicycle is a custom made, carbon fiber rocket.:):

Your shooting is fine. You are getting better and you are getting to the range. All good things. I bet if you stick with one gun and put some dedicated time behind it, you will be very happy with your improvements in shooting accuracy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just about any factory pistol made will be better than an average or novice shooter. Modifying, fine tuning, accessorizing, whatever, is more about tinkering with something than it is to improve your ability. A person has to put a LOT of rounds downrange through a given firearm before they will reach the limitations with it.

Trigger work early on I can see since you may as well start out with the feel so as you train you will be familiar with the break. Otherwise you will train and get used to the factory trigger and then have to work through a second learning curve when you change it.

Put that factory CZ in Rob Leatham's hands and he will out shoot any of us on this forum no matter how much you customize a pistol.

One of my philosophies is that I don't ever want the equipment to be my limiter, just me. And that is whether I'm talking about a bicycle, power tool or firearm. Which is why my firearms are mostly factory and my bicycle is a custom made, carbon fiber rocket.:):

Your shooting is fine. You are getting better and you are getting to the range. All good things. I bet if you stick with one gun and put some dedicated time behind it, you will be very happy with your improvements in shooting accuracy.

Point made. :thumbsup:
    I was warned, but I didn't listen: lesson learned.
    I just wanted to experience some of that "trigger talk/upgrade" I kept reading about.
    Your description exactly describes how it turned out in my limited experience with my one upgrade. :ugh:
    I own it: I do think it's all me.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Just about any factory pistol made will be better than an average or novice shooter. Modifying, fine tuning, accurizing, whatever, is more about tinkering with something than it is to improve your ability. A person has to put a LOT of rounds downrange through a given firearm before they will reach the limitations with it.

Well stated , has been my experience as well. Back when I shot in the Muncie pistol league I saw shooters buy higher end pistols and expect to immediately start shooting much higher scores. When they didn't they say the gun was no better than the model they already had. In reality they never took the time to become a good shooter with the equipment they had to begin with.

I used a Ruger MKII to win the league one year and the only upgrade I needed was sending the gun off to Clark Custom Guns for a trigger job. If I were to compete with it today I know the gun would not be the limiting factor in me shooting good scores.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time at 30' with Shadow 2 on torso.
    Ignore above shoulders rounds of the Ruger SR9c rounds.
    On the 2nd mag with Shadow 2, I clicked the elevation up 2 clicks.
    I love this CZ. All other 9mm range guns have been sold or are for sale now.
    My 2nd best 9mm range has been trimmed: the Bersa Thunder Pro XT competition.
    No surprise: this is the long-term keeper for 9mm range gun & will double for bedroom house gun.
    ykdHxuA.jpg

Top Bottom